Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Ellis Genge

Post by fortysix »

I have said all along that this guy is the key to our forwards, and our future
He is a one off, just unbelievable, and in the true Tigers mould.
He must be paid as much is required to keep him , because the top French clubs will be after him, but hopefully Jones will have him pencilled in to keep him home based..
His performance yesterday was the reason we won. Even Austin said so !!
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Re: Ellis Genge

Post by TigerCam »

fortysix wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:37 am I have said all along that this guy is the key to our forwards, and our future
He is a one off, just unbelievable, and in the true Tigers mould.
He must be paid as much is required to keep him , because the top French clubs will be after him, but hopefully Jones will have him pencilled in to keep him home based..
His performance yesterday was the reason we won. Even Austin said so !!
+1 :smt023

His first play of the ball was brilliant. The Wasps scrummage stats paint one picture, but IMO they bore in, especially McKenzie. So once you get someone like Ellis to straighten things up they cannot take the pressure, hence they go backwards. I believe Ellis will stay as long as the rest of the pack pull their weight in the same manner.
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

There was some talk, somewhere (may have been on here, I don't recall) that he wasn't happy at Tigers. Not sure where that came from, but I hope there's no grain of truth in it. His stock is only going to rise and rise and let's hope that we can achieve his ambitions with us. His earning potential is, in my view, is astronomical. With Cole and Logo locking the scrum out on the tight side, it gave Ellis the opportunity to absolutely destroy Moore on his side. Moore will be having nightmares about his stint off the bench as Genge had him on toast from ball one.

My only fear was that with him being out for so long and having so much pent up energy, that he'd go and bust himself by trying too hard as soon as he got on. Thankfully, he got through unscathed.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Differing refs and props who bore in are many, you control what you can when you can at the set piece in my opinion and Genge will be as good as the blokes around him.
Genge was good but circumstances were set up perfectly for him to be so in my opinion, good coaching calls perhaps!
There aren't many who will bore in on Polota-Nau, Genge was very good off his stability at the set piece, not forgetting Cole who was on from the start and had to work his socks off.
The sub appearances were easier in my opinion, Wasps were a bit thin on depth to cope with Leicester yesterday, missed Johnson and I can see why they might be interested in Brookes for added depth.
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

BFG wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:00 pm Differing refs and props who bore in are many, you control what you can when you can at the set piece in my opinion and Genge will be as good as the blokes around him.
Genge was good but circumstances were set up perfectly for him to be so in my opinion, good coaching calls perhaps!
There aren't many who will bore in on Polota-Nau, Genge was very good off his stability at the set piece, not forgetting Cole who was on from the start and had to work his socks off.
The sub appearances were easier in my opinion, Wasps were a bit thin on depth to cope with Leicester yesterday, missed Johnson and I can see why they might be interested in Brookes for added depth.
I believe it was at their last meeting that Mr Genge asked Mr Brookes 'how the hell did he ever get an England selection?" I don't rate Brookes nor Johnson
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Interesting differing opinions on who was doing what on Wasps scrum - one guy said it was their TH, from my perspective the lock and Haskell shifted over about 15 degrees post engage and before the ball went in, then drove across. The TJ in the second half (not CMK) seemed to have more about him. I may be wrong, being a back and having to deduce largely from seeing FatBoy bums move.
Wasps were shot by 50-55 mins - in the old days they'd have had multiple injuries to the front row (Vickery's hamstring, always better after the match) and gone to uncontested. TBH Tigers of 10 years ago would've stuffed it up the jumpers and recycled incessantly through the centre. There was some of that - and it worked.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

TigerCam wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:27 pm
BFG wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:00 pm Differing refs and props who bore in are many, you control what you can when you can at the set piece in my opinion and Genge will be as good as the blokes around him.
I believe it was at their last meeting that Mr Genge asked Mr Brookes 'how the hell did he ever get an England selection?" I don't rate Brookes nor Johnson
I do tend to wonder the same regarding England.
It's an easy question to ask when you have the likes of Cole and Logo on the real props side of the scrum and Polota-Nau keeping you safe!
I rate Brookes and Johnson, and certainly would off the bench at club level to a side that got beat up yesterday in that area, I just don't rate them as much as Cole, Logo or Polota-Nau!
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

You could probably penalise every scrum and on the whole I thought Sir got that bit of the game right.
From my view point on my sofa this early issues were Cooper Woolley coming over ont Young’s which was why it was crabbing, others will see differently.

Genge doesn’t seem to worry about angles just explosive power, but needs the tight head to lock his side out so he can do his thing
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

jgriffin wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:29 pm Wasps were shot by 50-55 mins - in the old days they'd have had multiple injuries to the front row (Vickery's hamstring, always better after the match) and gone to uncontested.
So true. :smt001
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

The ref let their loose head walk around the scrum and incorrectly penalised Cole.

Once he figured this was their prop not ours their front row went from winning penalties to struggling to abject capitulation by the time their first choices had gone off.

It's a long time since I saw a pack marched back off their own ball so emphatically. A bit like the old days but Wasps having no scope for uncontested scrums!

England needed a player like him who can scrummage and an utter beast in the loose. In 20 minutes did more than fatty Macko and Marler did in the entire 6N.
HantsTiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by HantsTiger »

There was one scrum, possibly the third since Genge came on, where their tighthead didn't move forward on the 'bind' looking to draw Genge into overstretching and collaspe. The problem was Genge got himself into a strong position and we won the pen as the wasps front row folded. He's clearly revelling under Boris, long may it continue :smt041
POSTIGER
Super User
Super User

Post by POSTIGER »

Should be a marquee player next season.
I saw Marika Vunibaka play
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

POSTIGER wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:13 pm Should be a marquee player next season.
Not sure it’s quite that simple
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

Even before he won 5 scrum penalties for us and after prowling the touch line like a caged tiger winding up wasps on the field, his first action on the field was an awesome maul where some real old style ripping by him lead to a turnover in our half over by the Cat stand. You just knew he was so up for it. MOC's later comments on the radio amused me were he said that at least he's got back playing he may not be wrecking the training sessions quite as much. He must have been dangerous to train against over the last few weeks!