Scrum formation

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

TigerAwood

Scrum formation

Post by TigerAwood »

Quick question for those with long memories. When did the scrum formation change and why? Back in the dark ages when I played scrum half the scrum always was 3 in the front row 2 in second row and 3 in the back row. Now scrum always packs down as 3 front row 5 second row and 1 back row yet everyone always says the back row consists of nos 6 7 and 8.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Re: Scrum formation

Post by Mark62 »

Short answer is it hasn’t. What has changed is the importance placed upon the back row to be part of the scrummaging effort, with the flankers pushing the props in and forward and the 8 providing support to the locks.
The modern theory is that the middle 4 are bound as they go down to keep things tighter.
Gone are the days of wing forwards bound loosely on the side ready for a quick get away.

Still front, 2nd and back rows though :smt023
BengalTiger

Re: Scrum formation

Post by BengalTiger »

I do not know if there is a law on the formation of the scrum, I do remember the hand of back incident was only possible because Back had moved up the scrum to help Garforth who was being illegally turned in by the Claw, being in a position to rob the ball was a happy by-product, so in that scrum we had in effect 4 in the front row!