Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

BFG
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers v Wasps Sunday March 25th

Post by BFG »

Chobbsy wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:55 am
BFG wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:51 am Good day out yesterday and a good game to watch in the end, being one point on the right side for the result that is!
Much better watching than the lumps flopping and boshing it out on Friday night and Saturday afternoon.
I found the ref frustrating and to be fair that's probably for both sides, very inconsistent picking up the occasional ruck infringement or feeding when it was rife throughout, I thought the hookers were supposed to try and hook these days, the inconsistent length of the advantages made up for losing an hour, and he tells them to play it at the scrum and then changes his mind to give a penalty and even changes his mind who's feed it is!
Tait's cover tackle was great and Toomua saved a try rolling Young over the line.
Polota-Nau was the difference at the set piece in my opinion, class player.
Wasps did miss Ashley Johnson to come on, Johnson v Polota-Nau would've been some clash!
I agree Polota-Nau was huge in the set piece but so was Genge
Yes no doubt Genge was very good when he came on.
I thought Bateman had it much harder without Polota-Nau and against better Wasps props and a fresher hooker.
Good to have them all!

I don't get MikeR's criticism of Harrison, they all made mistakes of sorts, it happens, and if Manu can bang himself hitting the floor hard then occasionally the ball will do the same, if the pass was on then was the call good enough!
Harrison has been a key player over the past month, he has added a lot, the two young 9's are nowhere near his all round level in my opinion.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

With you BFG, think Shazam has stepped up well, now making darts and being more involved. In the past he has been brought on to speed delivery up as others tired, but his work has been exceptional enough for commentators to remark on his worth. He also delivers quicker than Simmons who does a little step and shake before letting fly. YBY will have cameos I suspect if he does make the last two matches.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
MikeR
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by MikeR »

I see that MOC also shares my view that Harrison butchered that try opportunity . He just looked very tired to me .
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

Hope they are not the exact words MOC used and he's getting all Eddie on is!
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

MikeR wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:05 pm I see that MOC also shares my view that Harrison butchered that try opportunity . He just looked very tired to me .
Le Roux butchered a try, Ford butchered some, May got steamrollered by Wade, still all very good players who do good things.
Not been a good week for the Aussies regarding butchered balls so you are in good company MikeR!
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

MikeR wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:05 pm I see that MOC also shares my view that Harrison butchered that try opportunity . He just looked very tired to me .
Perhaps his illness during the week had something to do with it.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

Excellent fighting win and our subs were superb. It's good to see Gengy back he provides us with that little extra up front and it was noticeable how dominant we were in the scrums after he came on, Surely an England recall is shortly in the offing? :smt026
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

Genge should be our starting LH in SA with Hepburn backing him up. Mako and Marler completely rested.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Rugbyflanker wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:57 pm Genge should be our starting LH in SA with Hepburn backing him up. Mako and Marler completely rested.
Don't you mean Mako rested and Marler retired! :smt003
Coops
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Coops »

jgriffin wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:44 pm
Perhaps his illness during the week had something to do with it.
To be fair, Shazam didn't look great at the open day on Saturday.
MelChannerFan
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by MelChannerFan »

I suspect the change in scrum dominance wasn't just the subs. I think the ref realised the Wasps prop was boring in - perhaps after it was pointed out to him eventually.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Perhaps he should have been rested as he was ill in the week but that may have meant starting an inexperienced player with a similarly inexperienced one on the bench.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Watching Mat "Call me Harry Potter" Tait's try-saving tackle over and over - and surmising that, had Manu not gone off injured, not sure Robson would have been caught. Manu has huge attributes but a sprint over that distance to catch one of the Prem's quickest 9s would have been beyond him. As Coleman would have said: "Quite remarkable!"
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

I think anyone seeing that would say it was butchered as were many other attacking moves. Wasps also butchered a few too so maybe it was just the pressure of the occasion for both. What got me was the unusual mis-pass plays from George Ford especially when you know that players like Wade, De-Jong, Daly and Bassett, to name just a few, will 'eat you up' and spit you out if you get it wrong. As the second half proved, keeping it tight in the forwards with the Wasps scrum under real pressure, was the way it was won. The really good outcome was the commitment and confidence when down to 14.
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

Yes Fords choice of passing at times was very strange,picked every one apart from the right one! Something to do with an England hangover? Farrell was doing the same v Ireland.