Tigers v Wasps Sunday March 25th

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Flash

Re: Tigers v Wasps Sunday March 25th

Post by Flash »

strawclearer wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:04 pm
Coops wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:56 pm Remind me, can Bateman play tighthead?
Yes - both props as well as hooker, 7, 9 and 12!

At a push, he could probably play 10 but, in any event, we've got Toomua and Harrison who could cover 10 if George gets crocked on the day. So - I wouldn't have Joe Ford on the bench. Otherwise, I like Noddy's selection and we really ought to win this one.
I'm sure he could put a shift in at 6, 8 & 13 too. He'd be wasted on the wing or at fullback though!
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

No point in having J.Ford on the bench with both Ford and Toomua playing and if there's a total disaster Harrison is a better FH too,and no that isn't a joke!
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Rugbyflanker wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:29 pm No point in having J.Ford on the bench with both Ford and Toomua playing and if there's a total disaster Harrison is a better FH too,and no that isn't a joke!
No I always held Harrison as a viable flyhalf option
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

Noddy555 wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:22 pm If Genge is available for selection then he should be No.1 on the team sheet literally. Don;t see the sense of just
putting him on the bench if he is fit enough to play, though Bateman has done well in his absence. My squad of 23
would be:-

1.Genge 2 Youngs 3 Cole 4. Kitchener 5. Fitzgerald. 6, Williams 7. O'Connor 8, Kalamafoni,

9. Harrison. 10. Ford 11. May 12 Toomua 13 Tuilagi 14 Thompstone. 15. Veianu

Replacements

16, Tau Nua 17 Bateman 18 Mullipola 19 Wells 20 Hamilton 21 Simmonds 22 Joe Ford 23 Tait.

I think that this team could deliver the win. :smt026
Good shout Noddy but Mike Williams is injured and like others say there is no need for J Ford on the bench.
Soggypitch
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

They said on Rugby tonight that they "understood" Genge was starting. Lets hope they are right. However I think it would be very hard on Bateman for him not to start, I would switch him to TH and leave Cole on the bench.
Hehehehehehehehe
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

trendylfj wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:36 am They said on Rugby tonight that they "understood" Genge was starting. Lets hope they are right. However I think it would be very hard on Bateman for him not to start, I would switch him to TH and leave Cole on the bench.
That’s all very well and said, but Mulipola has played well too
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

JP14 wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:59 am
trendylfj wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:36 am They said on Rugby tonight that they "understood" Genge was starting. Lets hope they are right. However I think it would be very hard on Bateman for him not to start, I would switch him to TH and leave Cole on the bench.
That’s all very well and said, but Mulipola has played well too
Logo has done ok but nothing to compare with Bateman. I agree with trendy play him at tight head and have Cole and Logo on the bench.
Soggypitch
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

The match is almost sold out.

A fantastic effort from those who really struggle to get to games on a Sunday.
Last edited by ellis9 on Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

I would start Genge,Youngs, Bateman with Muli,TPN,Cole on the bench. Or rest Cole altogether is an option with Rizzo on the bench and Muli finishing the game on the tight.
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

Whilst some props can cover both sides of the scrum, very few are outstanding on both sides. I'd let Bateman continue to develop as a LH. I'd also start with the best front-row which I feel is Genge, TPN and Cole, take the fight to Wasps from the start.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

People don't realise what a relatively cheap gem we have in Shazam. He is a very good 9 and can competently play 10, with excellent goal kicking thrown in. He could earn big bucks in France, where they love 9/10 players.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

I wouldn't start Genge, Bateman has been playing so well at LH why rush him back in the the starting XV? Let Bateman have an hour then bring on a fresh Genge to see it out
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

jgriffin wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:56 pm People don't realise what a relatively cheap gem we have in Shazam. He is a very good 9 and can competently play 10, with excellent goal kicking thrown in. He could earn big bucks in France, where they love 9/10 players.
He seemed to lose a bit of form earlier in the season but has been good of late. He's a fairly popular player from what I can make out. I think it does work both ways and that the club works well for him!
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

For me Bateman has to start: he threatens the gain line and Wasps will be wary of his try scoring ability. I love Genge and Cole, but Cole is not going to make yards which we need to start with. Genge can come on when there is the need for fresh legs and to get some fitness ready for Bath. Bring Cole on for the last 20. Secondly, in the last few games v Wasps there haven’t been many scrums in the first 40-60 minutes. Also, Wasps injury crisis isn’t too bad: in fact their replacement number 8 is far better than Hughes as was witnessed at The Ricoh in December, but the bench might for once, not be as strong as ours! Bring it on whatever. Can we at last beat Wasps? Huge performance from the crowd needed too.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Ian Cant wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:58 pm For me Bateman has to start: he threatens the gain line and Wasps will be wary of his try scoring ability. I love Genge and Cole, but Cole is not going to make yards which we need to start with. Genge can come on when there is the need for fresh legs and to get some fitness ready for Bath. Bring Cole on for the last 20. Secondly, in the last few games v Wasps there haven’t been many scrums in the first 40-60 minutes. Also, Wasps injury crisis isn’t too bad: in fact their replacement number 8 is far better than Hughes as was witnessed at The Ricoh in December, but the bench might for once, not be as strong as ours! Bring it on whatever. Can we at last beat Wasps? Huge performance from the crowd needed too.
I think you’ll find that particular number 8 Carr, is currently playing for 1 of the South African sides. I would expect Guy Thompson to start at 8 for them on Sunday