Tigers v Wasps Sunday March 25th

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers v Wasps Sunday March 25th

Post by Old Hob »

Poor decision to take off Harrison and replace him with the boy Wells (unless for an injury). Wells' errors nearly cost us the game when we needed steadiness not rushes of blood. That said, some of our older players seem to have had the same disease faced with scoring chances. Very pleased with the win; it could have been massive if we had taken all our chances. Great defensive work and the scrum a thing of beauty and a joy forever.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

That was the best game I've seen at Welford Rd for many years! Particularly the second half performance of the pack who turned the game around after having been under the cosh in the first half. I'd practically lost my voice at the final whistle but the post match beer was so much the better!
Semper in excretia
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

Old Hob wrote: Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:25 pm Poor decision to take off Harrison and replace him with the boy Wells (unless for an injury). Wells' errors nearly cost us the game when we needed steadiness not rushes of blood. That said, some of our older players seem to have had the same disease faced with scoring chances. Very pleased with the win; it could have been massive if we had taken all our chances. Great defensive work and the scrum a thing of beauty and a joy forever.
Do you mean Simmons? Wells is a 2nd row, not a scrum half
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Old Hob wrote: Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:25 pm Poor decision to take off Harrison and replace him with the boy Wells (unless for an injury).
Believe that Sam has had a bug this week so his enegy levels may have been low so the choice to replace him was forced.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Old Hob wrote: Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:25 pm Poor decision to take off Harrison and replace him with the boy Wells (unless for an injury). Wells' errors nearly cost us the game when we needed steadiness not rushes of blood. That said, some of our older players seem to have had the same disease faced with scoring chances. Very pleased with the win; it could have been massive if we had taken all our chances. Great defensive work and the scrum a thing of beauty and a joy forever.
Simmons was also a big part of our drive into their second half, Was hitting his forward runners well and offered his own carrying ability.

Still a way to go but happy Tigers are sticking with him and White as 3rd/4th choice 9 next season.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Rugbyflanker wrote: Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:37 pm That sequence of wasting possibly 10 easy points has cost us this game,expect Wasps to run away with this now with a TBP win,fourth gone,playing for Europe now.
Still to play for....in Tigers hands!
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Rugbyflanker wrote: Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:00 pm How did we win that lol? Thought Genge was superb when he came on,Toomua should still start at FH for the rest of the season.
who should go centres if Manu is out?
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

RagingBull wrote: Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:39 pm
Rugbyflanker wrote: Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:00 pm How did we win that lol? Thought Genge was superb when he came on,Toomua should still start at FH for the rest of the season.
who should go centres if Manu is out?
If MT is out then MT should partner MT in the centres. IMHO.
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

If Manu is out then yes go MT/MT but if Manu is fit go MT/MT/MT. Still not sold on Ford, his default setting is pass now I was screaming at the TV when there were gaps and Matt would've took them on. Why doest George attack the line anymore,anyone know?
Timmers
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Timmers »

A terrific game of rugby.
Wasps should have been out of sight but they didn’t finish their chances and we came on strong towards the end of the game. Manu’s pec strain looked pretty serious to me. Can’t see him coming back for a few weeks which is a worry. Tait has anothee good game but I feel we need more physicality with Toomua also quite small. Owen would get the nod if fit with Tait sub imo.
I’ve just watched the game back, I can’t believe Tait was able to chase down robson over 50m! He seems to have lost some acceleration over 10m but once he’s in his stride he still has some gas. He also made try saving tackle on le roux earlier in the half. Very impressive.
Finally our forwards are starting to dominate and all of a sudden top four seems a possibility.
Bring on bath!!
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Rugbyflanker wrote: Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:57 pm If Manu is out then yes go MT/MT but if Manu is fit go MT/MT/MT. Still not sold on Ford, his default setting is pass now I was screaming at the TV when there were gaps and Matt would've took them on. Why doest George attack the line anymore,anyone know?
Must have been watching different games. He did look to make some breaks and ship the ball on. Unfortunately that wasn’t up to his normal standards.
Must keep him at 10 and Toomua at 12 improvement will come with familiarity he also kicked 11 points to win the game the
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Robespierre wrote: Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:27 pm That was the best game I've seen at Welford Rd for many years! Particularly the second half performance of the pack who turned the game around after having been under the cosh in the first half. I'd practically lost my voice at the final whistle but the post match beer was so much the better!
Agreed much as we all enjoy lots of points, that was an almost old fashioned toe to toe heavyweight contest between 2 very good sides
Spicer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Spicer »

We showed great fight to come back. We are our own worst enemies still, butchering 2 simple tries. If we can play and stop the simple errors we regularly make, then we could be a very good side.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Firstly, Manu was getting in his motor at 1800 and looked in a lot of pain. Doesn't look good.
Secondly the ref was poor. One of his cards was a repeat of one in the Falcons game where JPD gave penalty only, he missed tons of Wasp chicanery especially side entry as they got tired.
The game was won by Tait and also holding the fort when down to 14.
Ford for me had a middling game. Cole was getting crunched by Wasps illegal scrummaging, step sideways and angled before the ball in, and Robson threw the ball to the 8 anyway. Malouf is a keeper.
Tigers were on top from 30 mins to the end, but should've gone oldskool and jumper stuffed up the middle as Wasps were spent.
Our reserve bench was awesome!
Finally, if we are shedding Mapa at the end of the season, WHY?
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Stu_F
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Stu_F »

It certainly would have been a poor decision to replace Harrison with Wells, albeit it would have increased our options at lineout!