Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Re: The Clash

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Crumblies wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:19 am
Leicestertinytiger wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:53 pm Back after a great game. Here’s my player ratings for Tigers.

Genge - 6.5
Deducted half a point for getting a penalty reversed. Great at scrum time but not so prominent in the lose. Still a force of nature.

Polata-Nau - 7
Proven to be a shrewd acquisition. Has nailed down the starting birth in my opinion. Solid all round game with great set piece.

Cole - 7
Integral part of a dominant Leicester scrum which was the cornerstone of us winning the game.

Fitzgerald - 6
Started off poorly giving away a stupid penalty but grew into the game in the second half. Didn’t let us down put lacking maybe some power in the tight exchanges. Sadly feel our second row was our poorest unit.

Kitchener - 5
Very poor. Steamrollered by Dunn in scoring their only try. Also showed some poor handling in the lose. Spencer calls the line out for Worcester and is much more imposing for next season.

Mapapalangi - 6.5
Mixed bag performance. Put in a massive hit and a great off load. But also caught napping on the blindside at scrum time once and needs to find some consistency.

Hamilton - 7
Workman like performance. Good ball in hand and in defence. Nothing flashy and a solid player.

Kalamafoni - 9 MoM
Always been impressed with his stats this season, guys workrate is crazy. However came into his own this game and topped off with some tries and big carries. Best game in a Tigers shirt. Becoming one of the most important players in the pack.

Harrison - 7
As the game went on got better and better. Started attacking the fringes more in the second half. True Tigers spirit.

Ford - 7
Controlled the game well enough. Attached the gainline more in the second half. For this season though was poor off the tee. Might expect a bit more at this stage from Ford though.

May - 7
Always a threat, but didn’t see too much ball in hand in space.

Toomua - 7
Quiet game but didn’t make any mistakes. Was well marshalled by Bath’s defence.

Tait - N/A
Went off injured

Thompstone - 5.5
Nowhere near the standard of last season. Has never been a flashy winger but usually solid in all areas. I know some people complained about the card but you know you touch someone in the air you’re in trouble. No malicious intent but stupidity in touching the Bath player. Feel that Holmes and Malouf are now better.

Veainu - 8
Always a constant threat with ball in hand and our best back today. Rewarded with the last try and thoroughly deserved it.

Bateman, Youngs, Mulipola - 7
Continued the high standards the starting front row set. Imposing performance and set the tone for Tigers continued dominance.

Wells - 6.5
Made sure Tigers forwards maintained the pressure on Bath. Good basics.

Evans - 8
Great performance off the bench. Going to be a quality player for us in the future. Is a quick guy but seems to have added power. Smashed through the Bath defence a few times and a great link between the forwards and backs.

Simmonds - 6
Kept up the intensity, another one for the future.

Smith - 7.5
A solid player, never lets Tigers down. Shored up the defence in the backs. With the talent we have in the backs feel like he is a good defensive linchpin. Would pick him over Tait.

Olowfela - N/A
Only came on for the last minute.

For next week expect Williams, O’Connor, Smith and Malouf/ Holmes should come into the starting XV.
If your going to do this and you want people to take you seriously can I politely suggest you take time to review the game studiously and objectively before posting.

I too was at the game and have watched replays twice since. (You can get a free download from Channel 5). How on earth you managed to give Matt Smith 7.5, whilst Genge gets 6.5, Polata-Nau 7 and Cole 7 after their Scrum performance alone beggars belief.You have marked Matt Tait as N/A, he actually played almost the entire first half (went off after about 32 minutes) that's more game time than Bateman,Youngs, Mullipola etc who you have given 7. As I have said I've watched the game 3 times and my objective assessment is that Tait was every bit as Influential as Smith. For example do you think Smith could/would have made the pass producing Thompstones try?
If you’ve watched the game 3 times I can only politely suggest that you need to get out more :smt002

Only graded Genge a 6.5 because he has set the bar so high I expect more from him ball in hand. Also the fact he got a penalty reversed meant he was deducted points as that behaviour isn’t acceptable at that level.
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

I am grateful that those who think they can assess a players performance with a score out of 10 are not involved in team selection, they should at least watch the game objectively as it seems to me that with some players they look for what they perceive as errors and ignore any positive contribution. In my opinion the pack especially Kalamafoni and Kitchener had a great game. The backs played well and although Ford did not have his best day off the tee his all round play was good, we conceded only a few penalties so discipline was good and we scored five tries. Why cannot people just enjoy a good win?
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

johnthegriff wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:35 am I am grateful that those who think they can assess a players performance with a score out of 10 are not involved in team selection, they should at least watch the game objectively as it seems to me that with some players they look for what they perceive as errors and ignore any positive contribution. In my opinion the pack especially Kalamafoni and Kitchener had a great game. The backs played well and although Ford did not have his best day off the tee his all round play was good, we conceded only a few penalties so discipline was good and we scored five tries. Why cannot people just enjoy a good win?
Probably because people look for faults. As long as the team performs, which they did, it doesn't need individual stand out performances.

Well done Tigers, it was a great win.
Tiger93

Post by Tiger93 »

Anyone managed to watch the highlights and notice anything strange with the commentary when we scored tries or did anything positive in the game that put Bath further on the back foot?
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

PaulinBroughton wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:08 am One important factor for me was the patience we showed near Baths try line, early in the season we would have been trying silly offloads and risky passes, but the pick and drive through multiple phases eventually took its toll on their defence.
We all like to see flowing backs moves but to win games its not always the way. Keep possession, make them keep tackling eventually the gaps appear.
I would second that as one of the big differences in recent games. But I'd also second the person that questioned why we kicked the ball back to them when they had 13 players on the pitch. Surely a time to go through multiple phases even from our own half. Great overall performance though.

As for The Clash itself. Have to say I don't get the logic at all. I took the wife and kids but only because tickets were a £10 and it was a day out in London. I don't see it makes commercial sense for Bath, short or long term. But eh ho good luck to them. Largely just seemed like a normal game. The atmosphere wasn't particularly great. There was enough Tigers fans around us to have our voices heard, especially in the second half. And the last 20 the family found exciting. Would rather be at The Rec or Welford Road though. The Bath rabble rouser on the tannoy amused my son - bigging up Priestland penalty kicks and then mumbling Tigers try scorers. I know he's a homer but I think the Welford Road guy does it much better and I don't think trying to rouse the crowd in this way really works.
TomWeston
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TomWeston »

ourla wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:14 am...

As for The Clash itself. Have to say I don't get the logic at all. I took the wife and kids but only because tickets were a £10 and it was a day out in London. I don't see it makes commercial sense for Bath, short or long term. But eh ho good luck to them. ...
I guess it all depends on what it costs to hire HQ for the day and for the publicity, including flags everywhere. I don't know if Baarrff season ticket holders got free places at HQ but 60k supporters at a low £15 a head average is a lot more than 13k at say £30 a head for the Wreck. I paid £15 each for my 2 tickets and my Baarrff mate guest was so parrot-like at full time he didn't even take his toy flag home! :smt003
PaulinBroughton
Tiger Cub

Post by PaulinBroughton »

Tom up your price at the Wreck to nearer 50, you wont get tickets for £30 at Bath
Jacko27

Post by Jacko27 »

It's an excellent day out, in my opinion, particularly if you picked up bargain £11 tickets around "Black Friday" time. Yes there are irritations like the hysterical P.A. man but, to be fair, it is a Bath "home" match and the guy is probably only trying to drum up vocal support among Bath fans, many of whom may be occasional or luke-warm supporters. And there were the compensations (apart from a cracking win and five points): 1) the deafening silence from the PA man after Tigers got the BP try and 2) seeing hordes of blue & white Bath fans streaming for the exits before the end. It was like Arsenal on a bad day.

It's hard to be certain but I thought there were slightly fewer Tigers supporters this year compared with last year - maybe some were put off by a few negative comments on this forum (and of course the match was broadcast on both BT & terrestrial TV) but if "The Clash" is held next year - and I hope it is - I'd encourage fans to buy your tickets early and enjoy the experience.
:smt041
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

I keep seeing this figure of 60000 attendance.
As far as I know Twickenham holds 83000. The top tier wasn’t open and there were visible blocks of empty seats.
Do those that attended believe 60000 is an accurate figure, or is another example of positive marketing :smt017
Jacko27

Post by Jacko27 »

The 60,688 (which I think they claimed) is propaganda. As you say the top tier at Twickenham was closed and there were several empty sections on the next level down. They may have sold 60,000 tickets but that would include cheap tickets complimentaries , give-aways to schools etc. . My estimate would be that there was something closer to 50,000 actually in the stadium although that's still a pretty good turn out.
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

Mark62 wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:07 pm I keep seeing this figure of 60000 attendance.
As far as I know Twickenham holds 83000. The top tier wasn’t open and there were visible blocks of empty seats.
Do those that attended believe 60000 is an accurate figure, or is another example of positive marketing :smt017
No it was a legitimate figure, there were 57,000 sold before the day and tickets were also sold on the day, as I run all the turnstiles I get the turnstile counts through out the day so I know how heavily my staff are going to get hit. Thankfully most people turned up early so it was steady flow throughout the day...unlike an international.
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Jacko27 wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:51 pm if "The Clash" is held next year - and I hope it is - I'd encourage fans to buy your tickets early and enjoy the experience.
:smt041
It will be held next year as Bath have a 5 year contract with Twickenham to host it. However, we may not be the opposition. Bath can select whichever the game they want. Now, there are good reasons to choose Tigers - high profile rivalry, attractive to Bath supporters, guaranteed to sell a decent amount to the away team - but after two years on the bounce I would be surprised if they didn't choose another. Gloucester would be a good choice for example.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Chobbsy wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:41 pm
Mark62 wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:07 pm I keep seeing this figure of 60000 attendance.
No it was a legitimate figure, there were 57,000 sold before the day and tickets were also sold on the day, as I run all the turnstiles I get the turnstile counts through out the day so I know how heavily my staff are going to get hit. Thankfully most people turned up early so it was steady flow throughout the day...unlike an international.
Just to be clear are you saying 60,688 passed through the turnstiles? Or 60,688 is the number of tickets sold?

Most venues state tickets sold these days. Which can be significantly different to those going through the turnstiles i.e., actual attendance.
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

ourla wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:56 pm
Chobbsy wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:41 pm
Just to be clear are you saying 60,688 passed through the turnstiles? Or 60,688 is the number of tickets sold?

Most venues state tickets sold these days. Which can be significantly different to those going through the turnstiles i.e., actual attendance.
I am fully aware of attendances announced being tickets sold, however my last check very high 50k came in via turnstiles, if at any point during the match you had gone to bar and food outlets they were rammed for the whole event
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
TomWeston
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TomWeston »

The top tier does, however, have the smallest capacity. I don't know what the split is but I wouldn't be surprised if it was, starting at ground level, something like 40k/23k/20k. Agree top tier was empty but 60k would seem about right.

It was a good day though, especially with the decisive win, and I will definitely go again next year to Baarrff's home fixture against Tigers if it is at HQ.