The Clash

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

mol2
Super User
Super User

Re: The Clash

Post by mol2 »

I feel sorry for Thommo their full back leaped high in the air and pretty much jumped up and over Thommo who had been obstructed by their player effectively delaying his arrival and leaving him no time to avoid their player.

There was nothing reckless or even careless about Thompstone's actions and quite frankly you could argue that jumping 5 feet in the air boots in front is dangerous. This seems to be a tactic employed by a number of players from Wales - jump up and significantly forward with boots/knees in front almost Aussie rules style.

It's one thing being allowed 3 or 4 feet in front of you to land but this type of catch effectively prevents fair competition from anyone within 2 or 3 yards without risking a card of either colour.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

On a positive note there is clear progress within the forwards.

These sides were similar but our level play at the breakdown was a transformed from the meeting at Welford Road.
We still need more grunt on the engine room but the style of play is smarter by far.
TomWeston
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TomWeston »

RagingBull wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:44 pm
westwinds31 wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:36 pm Evans looks to have bulked up :smt027
Was thinking that made some great runs into contact and gained good yardage.
I think he really made a difference when he came on, bodes well for the future. Carried hard but distributed well too.
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

JP14 wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:35 pm
JP14 wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:11 pm Olowofela - N/A didn’t come on unfortunately which is a great shame.
I do apologise I now realise that Olowofela did in fact come on as a replacement but as it was late in the game like with 5 minutes to go or something therefore the rating still remains N/A
Well covered & graded JP14 but what did you score for VEAINU ( right letters - wrong order) I felt he was a 7.0. :smt023
Quote:-
Vieanu - One knock-on that wasn’t a knock-on in the 1st place can be forgiven for always looking a threat ball in hand as well as showing a turn of pace along with the show-&-go to score Tigers final try.

I cannot wait to see Gengie v Kieran Brookes next week again, I hope we have a top grade Referee and not a Wigglesworth, Carley, CMK or Tempestual!
I am sure Blackadder will be worried about his job on Monday and so will John Kingston too. :smt068
Bristol Tiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Bristol Tiger »

Great game (in the end :smt002 ) and thoroughly enjoyed my day out at HQ, much more so than the last two seasons games away to Bath!

I was sat with a good mix of Bath and Tigers fans and no complaints from any of us about Sir. Thought he was fair and accurate on pretty well every decision. Yes harsh on Thompstone but those are the laws - you have basically got to jump to compete or stay out of the way. Ducking out at the last minute doesn’t help your case. Mind you, agree would like to see something to sort out the foot up/studs out jump - simply dangerous (and plenty of non Welsh players doing this, like Mike Brown).

Very happy car on the way back and made even better for the stop at the services and parking in the middle of the Bath contingent :smt003
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Back after a great game. Here’s my player ratings for Tigers.

Genge - 6.5
Deducted half a point for getting a penalty reversed. Great at scrum time but not so prominent in the lose. Still a force of nature.

Polata-Nau - 7
Proven to be a shrewd acquisition. Has nailed down the starting birth in my opinion. Solid all round game with great set piece.

Cole - 7
Integral part of a dominant Leicester scrum which was the cornerstone of us winning the game.

Fitzgerald - 6
Started off poorly giving away a stupid penalty but grew into the game in the second half. Didn’t let us down put lacking maybe some power in the tight exchanges. Sadly feel our second row was our poorest unit.

Kitchener - 5
Very poor. Steamrollered by Dunn in scoring their only try. Also showed some poor handling in the lose. Spencer calls the line out for Worcester and is much more imposing for next season.

Mapapalangi - 6.5
Mixed bag performance. Put in a massive hit and a great off load. But also caught napping on the blindside at scrum time once and needs to find some consistency.

Hamilton - 7
Workman like performance. Good ball in hand and in defence. Nothing flashy and a solid player.

Kalamafoni - 9 MoM
Always been impressed with his stats this season, guys workrate is crazy. However came into his own this game and topped off with some tries and big carries. Best game in a Tigers shirt. Becoming one of the most important players in the pack.

Harrison - 7
As the game went on got better and better. Started attacking the fringes more in the second half. True Tigers spirit.

Ford - 7
Controlled the game well enough. Attached the gainline more in the second half. For this season though was poor off the tee. Might expect a bit more at this stage from Ford though.

May - 7
Always a threat, but didn’t see too much ball in hand in space.

Toomua - 7
Quiet game but didn’t make any mistakes. Was well marshalled by Bath’s defence.

Tait - N/A
Went off injured

Thompstone - 5.5
Nowhere near the standard of last season. Has never been a flashy winger but usually solid in all areas. I know some people complained about the card but you know you touch someone in the air you’re in trouble. No malicious intent but stupidity in touching the Bath player. Feel that Holmes and Malouf are now better.

Veainu - 8
Always a constant threat with ball in hand and our best back today. Rewarded with the last try and thoroughly deserved it.

Bateman, Youngs, Mulipola - 7
Continued the high standards the starting front row set. Imposing performance and set the tone for Tigers continued dominance.

Wells - 6.5
Made sure Tigers forwards maintained the pressure on Bath. Good basics.

Evans - 8
Great performance off the bench. Going to be a quality player for us in the future. Is a quick guy but seems to have added power. Smashed through the Bath defence a few times and a great link between the forwards and backs.

Simmonds - 6
Kept up the intensity, another one for the future.

Smith - 7.5
A solid player, never lets Tigers down. Shored up the defence in the backs. With the talent we have in the backs feel like he is a good defensive linchpin. Would pick him over Tait.

Olowfela - N/A
Only came on for the last minute.

For next week expect Williams, O’Connor, Smith and Malouf/ Holmes should come into the starting XV.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:53 pm Back after a great game. Here’s my player ratings for Tigers.

Genge - 6.5
Deducted half a point for getting a penalty reversed. Great at scrum time but not so prominent in the lose. Still a force of nature.

Polata-Nau - 7
Proven to be a shrewd acquisition. Has nailed down the starting birth in my opinion. Solid all round game with great set piece.

Cole - 7
Integral part of a dominant Leicester scrum which was the cornerstone of us winning the game.

Fitzgerald - 6
Started off poorly giving away a stupid penalty but grew into the game in the second half. Didn’t let us down put lacking maybe some power in the tight exchanges. Sadly feel our second row was our poorest unit.

Kitchener - 5
Very poor. Steamrollered by Dunn in scoring their only try. Also showed some poor handling in the lose. Spencer calls the line out for Worcester and is much more imposing for next season.

Mapapalangi - 6.5
Mixed bag performance. Put in a massive hit and a great off load. But also caught napping on the blindside at scrum time once and needs to find some consistency.

Hamilton - 7
Workman like performance. Good ball in hand and in defence. Nothing flashy and a solid player.

Kalamafoni - 9 MoM
Always been impressed with his stats this season, guys workrate is crazy. However came into his own this game and topped off with some tries and big carries. Best game in a Tigers shirt. Becoming one of the most important players in the pack.

Harrison - 7
As the game went on got better and better. Started attacking the fringes more in the second half. True Tigers spirit.

Ford - 7
Controlled the game well enough. Attached the gainline more in the second half. For this season though was poor off the tee. Might expect a bit more at this stage from Ford though.

May - 7

Toomua - 7

Tait - N/A
Went off injured

Thompstone - 5.5
Nowhere near the standard of last season. Has never been a flashy winger but usually solid in all areas. I know some people complained about the card but you know you touch someone in the air you’re in trouble. No malicious intent but stupidity in touching the Bath player. Feel that Holmes and Malouf are now better.

Veainu - 8
Always a constant threat with ball in hand and our best back today. Rewarded with the last try and thoroughly deserved it.

Continued the high standards the starting front row set. Imposing performance and set the tone for Tigers continued dominance.

Wells - 6.5

Evans - 8
Great performance off the bench. Going to be a quality player for us in the future. Is a quick guy but seems to have added power. Smashed through the Bath defence a few times and a great link between the forwards and backs.

Simmonds - 6

Smith - 7.5
A solid player, never lets Tigers down. Shored up the defence in the backs. With the talent we have in the backs feel like he is a good defensive linchpin. Would pick him over Tait.

Olowfela - N/A

For next week expect Williams, O’Connor, Smith and Malouf/ Holmes should come into the starting XV.
Kitchener 5? Are you mad? The one handed takes at the lineout, the try saving cover tackle on Joseph the phase before Fitz the idiot gave away the days most blatant penalty (which is saying something given the Bath scrum) and the work rate which was huge. He was unlucky to be held up just short by an immense Obano tackle and whilst he did get run over by Dunn I'm finally certain he made more tackles than his second row partner. Was integral to our win and should be partnering Spencer next season.
TheRock

Post by TheRock »

sam16111986 wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:20 pm
Leicestertinytiger wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:53 pm Back after a great game. Here’s my player ratings for Tigers.

Genge - 6.5

Polata-Nau - 7

Cole - 7

Fitzgerald - 6

Kitchener - 5

Mapapalangi - 6.5

Hamilton - 7

Kalamafoni - 9 MoM

Harrison - 7

Ford - 7

May - 7

Toomua - 7

Tait - N/A
Went off injured

Thompstone - 5.5

Veainu - 8

Wells - 6.5

Evans - 8

Simmonds - 6

Smith - 7.5

Olowfela - N/A

Kitchener 5? Are you mad? The one handed takes at the lineout, the try saving cover tackle on Joseph the phase before Fitz the idiot gave away the days most blatant penalty (which is saying something given the Bath scrum) and the work rate which was huge. He was unlucky to be held up just short by an immense Obano tackle and whilst he did get run over by Dunn I'm finally certain he made more tackles than his second row partner. Was integral to our win and should be partnering Spencer next season.
http://www.espn.co.uk/rugby/playerstats ... gue=267979
Incorrect
Fitzgerald made 10 tackles missed 0
Kitchener made 6 missed 2, one of which directly cost us 7 points.
Overall don't think there was that much between them today. Although as a unit still probably the weakest part of the team.
If spencer can call the lineout from next season then kitchener doesn't really bring much to the team. Also if mafi signs kitchener and Fitzgerald will probably be battling for a bench spot.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Very physical game.
Garvey was a loss for Bath, he played well before coming off.
Banahan came within a inch of scoring right at the end of the first half and that was a big moment in the game for Bath.
Tait was brave again, Smith stepped in and was physical in a physical game, there was little space until the latter stages but when there was Leicester took it.
Front rows were strong, Polota-Nau now settled in has completely changed the dynamics of the row and with bench use and rotation available Youngs is looking fresh, currently looking very strong.
Leicester have a good chance to be in the title race now, injuries are minimal currently and others are looking a bit stretched.
It'll be difficult because I think Saints might raise their game against Leicester, like a cup final for Saints now, and Sale away will be a big physical battle, but at least Leicester are right in it now, only a few weeks ago they were mixing with it with Quins.
MrPartridge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MrPartridge »

Strange game and not a huge amount of atmosphere in the stadium today. Great win in the end. Agree with positives mentioned so far. Genge tortured them at the scrum, maybe Kalamofoni’s best performance as a Tiger.

A couple of gripes though. We have them down to 13 and Tommo scores the first try in the corner. Ford then takes the full 90 seconds to kick. Get on with it man! At the re-start we secure the kickoff and then Harrison aimlessly kicks down field allowing Bath to grind down the clock. Why aren’t we attacking with 15 v 13?

Equally we go 8 up with 5 mins to go and we bring Tommo back on after his yellow elapses. Why not bring Olowefela on and give him 5 instead of the 50 seconds we gave him at the end? Give the kids an opportunity. Game was won at that point.

It was a great win but I’d just like to see a bit more ambition. We had Bath on the ropes after the 2 yellows and Tommo’s try. And then our negative play allowed them back into the game and cost us our lead before HT. In the end it didn’t hurt us today, but it will when the bigger challenges come in the away SF.
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

mol2 wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:56 pm I feel sorry for Thommo their full back leaped high in the air and pretty much jumped up and over Thommo who had been obstructed by their player effectively delaying his arrival and leaving him no time to avoid their player.

There was nothing reckless or even careless about Thompstone's actions and quite frankly you could argue that jumping 5 feet in the air boots in front is dangerous. This seems to be a tactic employed by a number of players from Wales - jump up and significantly forward with boots/knees in front almost Aussie rules style.

It's one thing being allowed 3 or 4 feet in front of you to land but this type of catch effectively prevents fair competition from anyone within 2 or 3 yards without risking a card of either colour.
Yes I agree with this. It seems you can be as reckless as you like if you catch the ball, but any oppoistion player with whom you make contact on the way down gets carded, ridiculous! The original law was that you can't tackle a player in the air, not that you must be 2/3 metres away when he comes down.
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

TigerCam wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:27 pm
HantsTiger wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:35 pm Just home, great result. Funny to watch the Bath fans leaving with 5 to go, why pay all that money and leave early? It's not football (and as a West Brom fan I know the pain of losing!).

What was the call on Valentinos tackle? We were surrounded by the Bath masses baying for blood! We feared a red for Thommo, which shows were the game has gone.

Not sure what it looked like on TV but every time there was niggle their players seemed to make a beeline for Genge, even when he was no-where near the bother. Our scrum was immense but how was there not a pen try for all of those reset scrums, especially after the 3 got binned? Nice to watch him and Genge having a good chat and a shake of the hands before they went down the tunnel after the game, tough day at the office for the Bath pack.
Common knowledge that Ellis had a temper, so maybe they thought he could be wound up. He did get a Tiger's penalty reversed due to reprisal. So, go after him to get him off the pitch for 10 mins if not longer. Glad to see he settled down. He is so good he does not need to 'take the bait'.
It was clear to me Bath had two tactics, one was to try and wind up Genge, clearly they wanted him off the pitch, the other was the loitering on the wrong side of the ruck at almost every breakdown. It was almost comical watching the play acting that they were dazed and slowly rolling out of the way, quite subtle, but just enough to distract and slow down the 9.
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

wormus wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:35 pm
JP14 wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:35 pm
JP14 wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:11 pm Olowofela - N/A didn’t come on unfortunately which is a great shame.
I do apologise I now realise that Olowofela did in fact come on as a replacement but as it was late in the game like with 5 minutes to go or something therefore the rating still remains N/A
Well covered & graded JP14 but what did you score for VEAINU ( right letters - wrong order) I felt he was a 7.0. :smt023
Quote:-
Vieanu - One knock-on that wasn’t a knock-on in the 1st place can be forgiven for always looking a threat ball in hand as well as showing a turn of pace along with the show-&-go to score Tigers final try.

I cannot wait to see Gengie v Kieran Brookes next week again, I hope we have a top grade Referee and not a Wigglesworth, Carley, CMK or Tempestual!
I am sure Blackadder will be worried about his job on Monday and so will John Kingston too. :smt068
Yes sorry about that I’d agree a 7/10. Also it is Veainu you did spell it right I think
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

Thanks for that JP14 :smt023
I agreed with Mr Partridge I hoped that Olowofela would come on when the Thommo yellow card lapsed and with Bath tired out a few runs from the youngster & May we might have opened the gates further.
However a great team performance.
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

G.K wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:54 am
mol2 wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:56 pm I feel sorry for Thommo their full back leaped high in the air and pretty much jumped up and over Thommo who had been obstructed by their player effectively delaying his arrival and leaving him no time to avoid their player.

Yes I agree with this. It seems you can be as reckless as you like if you catch the ball, but any oppoistion player with whom you make contact on the way down gets carded, ridiculous! The original law was that you can't tackle a player in the air, not that you must be 2/3 metres away when he comes down.
Listening to Barnes's explanation for the yellow card it seems to me Thommo would have been carded whatever he did. Barnes stated that he had "a duty of care" to ensure that Wilson landed safely. That would imply that he has to "help" him land in a safe manner which could only involve handling him in the air to ensure safe landing. If he had done that would the officials have interpreted his actions in line with that or as a tackle in the air? I suspect the latter, which would have led to the same or greater sanction.

I agree with the comments above about jumping players. One of the worst offenders is George North who regularly seems to lead with his feet or knees as we Tigers fans know. If the lawmakers are as concerned about safety as they say they are then they ought to do something with regard to this. Surely the jumping player has as much "a duty of care" not to injure the defender?
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!