Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

JP14
Super User
Super User

Re: Good luck to the Tigers Age grade internationals

Post by JP14 »

BFG wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:42 am
JP14 wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:05 am
BFG wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:24 pm I disagree with the above a bit, I've watched all of these games and I thought England bullied to victory.
IMO you can see why they might develop a lack of technical ability in areas like the breakdown and in midfield creativity.
They struggled against sides that stood up to them.
White and Hardwick are not 1st team level IMO.
Olowafela is very good.
Too much pudding up front!
That’s how you win games BFG, you can’t just fling the ball everywhere all the time
It isn't about flinging the ball about, you are completely missing the point here but I am not surprised as I always find your player ratings ridiculous!
It is about learning, and that means developing areas like technical ability and vision.
Now exposing technical ability etc in play isn't conducive to getting results, but given that these are u20's IMO results shouldn't really matter as much.
All England did was give it to the big lad or the fast lad, heads down, that is alright for results at age grade but what happens when they meet seniors!
Ireland tried to play heads up, they made mistakes, those that continue to make mistakes will be left behind, those who improve their technical ability etc will go on to join the likes of Murray and Sexton etc.
Folk wonder why England struggle at senior level given how strong they are at age grade, and the reasons were evident last night, IMO!
I think you have made some good points but in what way do you find my ratings ridiculous and you do seem to be in the minority in that respect
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

JP14 wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:32 pm
BFG wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:42 am
JP14 wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:05 am

That’s how you win games BFG, you can’t just fling the ball everywhere all the time
It isn't about flinging the ball about, you are completely missing the point here but I am not surprised as I always find your player ratings ridiculous!
It is about learning, and that means developing areas like technical ability and vision.
Now exposing technical ability etc in play isn't conducive to getting results, but given that these are u20's IMO results shouldn't really matter as much.
All England did was give it to the big lad or the fast lad, heads down, that is alright for results at age grade but what happens when they meet seniors!
Ireland tried to play heads up, they made mistakes, those that continue to make mistakes will be left behind, those who improve their technical ability etc will go on to join the likes of Murray and Sexton etc.
Folk wonder why England struggle at senior level given how strong they are at age grade, and the reasons were evident last night, IMO!
I think you have made some good points but in what way do you find my ratings ridiculous and you do seem to be in the minority in that respect
I think marking players out of ten is condescending, we are all learning or should be, players, coaches and supporters.

I appreciate that you think that I have made some good points.
England simply won't develop the skills required IMO until they stop hiding.
I lost count of the amount of occasions the commentary and Dewi Morris in particular suggested England should just get the ball to Ibitoye, which is exactly an example of the wrong way IMO.
England's game completely bypassed much of the other 14 players on the park, they learned nothing particularly transferable to senior top level rugby given the stage that they are at IMO!
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

BFG wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:00 pm
I think marking players out of ten is condescending, we are all learning or should be, players, coaches and supporters.
I don’t try to put players down if that is what you are referring to I’d just try to be honest
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Congrats to George Martin and England U18s who soared to victory with a 10-try over Scotland.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

JP14 wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:03 pm Congrats to George Martin and England U18s who soared to victory with a 10-try over Scotland.
I remember them beating the Scots a few years ago, 63-0 if I remember correctly.
I also remember a few people saying give it a few years and the flat track bullies will be useless at senior level and they were not wrong!
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

BFG wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:49 pm
JP14 wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:03 pm Congrats to George Martin and England U18s who soared to victory with a 10-try over Scotland.
I remember them beating the Scots a few years ago, 63-0 if I remember correctly.
I also remember a few people saying give it a few years and the flat track bullies will be useless at senior level and they were not wrong!
Are there any age-grade internationals that excite you, BFG? 😂🙄
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

JP14 wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:43 am
No not really, it's overrated!
In development terms I don't think hammering other teams at youth level is beneficial at all.
As I recall it certainly didn't help the side I remember in 09 as they flop now.
There is lesser need to develop those skills that'll be key at senior level if you just run over others at youth level.
I suspect that's why so many so called stars fall away after under 20 and why England end up with a sterile attacking game.
No Tigers picked from their under 18 winning side apart from the biggest lads tells a story, probably a few lesser appreciated little flowers yet to fully blossom.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

BFG wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:16 am

In development terms I don't think hammering other teams at youth level is beneficial at all.
As I recall it certainly didn't help the side I remember in 09 as they flop now.
There is lesser need to develop those skills that'll be key at senior level if you just run over others at youth level.
I suspect that's why so many so called stars fall away after under 20 and why England end up with a sterile attacking game.
No Tigers picked from their under 18 winning side apart from the biggest lads tells a story, probably a few lesser appreciated little flowers yet to fully blossom.
Yep that 09 side all flopped..... :smt005
Only players to get capped where
Goerge Ford
Manu Tuilagi
Owen Farrell
Jonathon Jopesph
Christian Wade
Mako Vunipola
Billy Vunipola
Henry thomas

and prem regulars
Buchanan (won the premiership with Quins)
Sam Jones
Charlie Matthews
Marcus Watson

Yep that team was :censored: and no one in it amounted to anything....
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

RagingBull wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:34 am
BFG wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:16 am

Yep that 09 side all flopped..... :smt005
Only players to get capped where
Goerge Ford
Manu Tuilagi
Owen Farrell
Jonathon Jopesph
Christian Wade
Mako Vunipola
Billy Vunipola
Henry thomas

and prem regulars
Buchanan (won the premiership with Quins)
Sam Jones
Charlie Matthews
Marcus Watson

Yep that team was :censored: and no one in it amounted to anything....
The point is that thumping Scotland at international age grade back then means nothing now, and what about the Irish.
Actually it's a fantastic example of my point, not only have the other nations levelled the playing field, they are beginning to potentially move ahead.
Those years of having to work on skills because the power was lesser have come to some fruition, and when they execute accurately as seniors what they learned as youths it all comes together quite nicely.
biffer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by biffer »

Anyone fill me in on Sam Grahamslaw? Selected for Scotland U20s World Cup squad. Serious prospect or TBC?

And well done to the lad regardless, it'll be a great experience for him.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

biffer wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 4:50 pm Anyone fill me in on Sam Grahamslaw? Selected for Scotland U20s World Cup squad. Serious prospect or TBC?

All I know that he is a converted back rower, which on 1st thought, great another potential Genge but then again Dan Cole was a 6 at junior level so? 😂😂
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Also named for the Scottish U20s is Sam Yawayawa, who left our development squad last year
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

JP14 wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 5:38 pm
biffer wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 4:50 pm Anyone fill me in on Sam Grahamslaw? Selected for Scotland U20s World Cup squad. Serious prospect or TBC?

All I know that he is a converted back rower, which on 1st thought, great another potential Genge but then again Dan Cole was a 6 at junior level so? 😂😂
Well he was an 8 but started being trained as a prop from u16 county level
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Tommy Reffell captaining the Wales U20 Rugby World Cup squad.

Massive achievement considering it's his first year of U20's.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

RagingBull wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 9:25 am Tommy Reffell captaining the Wales U20 Rugby World Cup squad.

Massive achievement considering it's his first year of U20's.
I hope he’s given game time next season, could be our future captain!