Saints & Gloucester supporting rugby in Leicester!

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

albany
Tiger Cub

Saints & Gloucester supporting rugby in Leicester!

Post by albany »

Really enjoyed the Wheelchair Rugby Quad Nations which were held at the Leicester Arena over the weekend. Wasn't sure what to expect but was greeted by a large, noisy crowd on the friday and a very professionally run competition (Big screens for replays, commentators, good quality half-time entertainment, player interviews pitchside etc). The action itself was very eye-opening; very fast, very skillful and tremendous endurance from the players considering the high standard of the teams (the gold, silver and bronze medallists from Rio 2016 & the European champions) and the short recovery time between the matches.
One thing did perturb me, however, I noticed the prominence of Leicester City as a backer (sponsorship, players supporting the event) and the RFU , Gloucester Rugby and, worst of all, Northampton Saints as official partners and supporters but absolutely no mention of Tigers, which considering that a large portion of the GB squad are Tigers players and the venue, was somewhat disappointing.
I believe from speaking to some involved that the event is likely to be repeated in the future and would suggest to those of you that are ambivalent that you might be surprised by what you witness!
DeadlyDunc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Saints & Gloucester supporting rugby in Leicester!

Post by DeadlyDunc »

You or anyone else may also find it interesting to watch the acclaimed documentary on Wheelchair Rugby which is called Murderball.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murderball_(film)

I saw it as part of BBC4 Storyville documentary series a few years back but it might be on streaming if its not on DVD or other platforms
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I believe we are represented through the Matt Hampson Foundation
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
albany
Tiger Cub

Post by albany »

Thanks Dunc, I will give that a watch.

I didn't see any mention of the Matt Hampson Trust amongst the extensive list of partners or anywhere around the arena but the RFU, Welsh Rugby charitable Trust, Gloucester Rugby and Northampton Saints were mentioned, you may well be right and I may have done Tigers a disservice too but neither the MHT or LT were listed amongst what were approx. 100 official partners, backers and sponsors.