Steward (2)
Jordan
Dunn
Lavin
Martin

Cons
Costelow 4/5

Penalties
Costelow 1/4 (with one kick attempt for in his own half)

Congratulations to all those involved. First time Tigers have won the comp.
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS ARE THE U18 PREM CHAMPIONS 2018

Post by Rugbyflanker »

Well done,U18 champs and players showing in the U20 6N. Let's hope these guys can step up because,and not to spoil the moment,we've got U20 world champions who can't even get in their AP sides! Its a big step up and fingers crossed!!!
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

:smt038 :smt038 :smt038
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Well done U18s, can’t wait to see more of Cameron Jordan next year, definitely one to watch for the future.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Well done to the U18's!! :smt038
Bare minimum of the Academy should be one forward, one back every season becoming 1st XV.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

Congratulations to players and coaches. Well done all.
I'm not cynical just experienced
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:29 pm Well done to the U18's!! :smt038
Bare minimum of the Academy should be one forward, one back every season becoming 1st XV.
Honestly could see alot of the pack that played today being a really good senior pack in the future. (Like 5/6 years or so)
Jordan is the obvious one.
But his second partner George Martin is only 16 and absolutely massive for his age.
Will be interesting to see how they try and keep them.

Obvious players change and the competition in U20's is alot tougher and even tougher in senior level but it is a very physical forward pack.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

That Joe Latham looks decent
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
MikeR
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by MikeR »

Jordan is good , but for 16 years old George Martin is an outstanding prospect . Almost 19 stone now , can run and handle as well as the backs .
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:29 pm Well done to the U18's!! :smt038
So in 8 years time, when the 1st XV has 15 players who have all come through the academy, how can we put the next ones in to the 1st XV when by your theory, all 15 players would already be academy graduates? Your theory suggests we will be able to have a different position each year too.

I think you're expecting way too much.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

ellis9 wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:11 am
So in 8 years time, when the 1st XV has 15 players who have all come through the academy, how can we put the next ones in to the 1st XV when by your theory, all 15 players would already be academy graduates? Your theory suggests we will be able to have a different position each year too.

I think you're expecting way too much.
I think squad wise it would be a good target.
Next season
Simmons and White go up to the senior squad.
Worth replaces Pakalani
Thacker replaces Catchpole (No sold on Thacker but Catchpole injuries have hampered him so much in terms of game opportunities).
Maksymiw would like to keep him but him and Hills are prob likely off.
Mahoney up to the senior squad. (Unless we sign another hooker).
Betts is going to Ealing

Would free up 8 spaces that could be filled by the graduating U18 players. Not sure who that is.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Simmonds and White won't be 1st XV players though. They may well be in the squad but the poster said 1st XV. The fact they are both scrum halves is the first issue as only one can be in the first XV but they also have to take Ben Youngs place, which rightly wont happen.

Also, none of the others you mentioned will be in the first XV. All of them in the squad perhaps, but selected in the first XV or even the matchday 23 won't happen.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

ellis9 wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:20 am Simmonds and White won't be 1st XV players though. They may well be in the squad but the poster said 1st XV. The fact they are both scrum halves is the first issue as only one can be in the first XV but they also have to take Ben Youngs place, which rightly wont happen.

Also, none of the others you mentioned will be in the first XV. All of them in the squad perhaps, but selected in the first XV or even the matchday 23 won't happen.
I didn't say XV i said it would be a good target for the senior squad.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

My point was to get them in & around the 1st XV, its the best way to have long term success.
Its better for the Salary Cap, team bonding & the club feeling.
We have a good scattering in the first xv squad & elsewhere in the Aviva. The club has always been at its best when the players "get" the club, not all imports do, some do (Marcos & Castro seriously did).
We are a better team/club with homegrown talent, the Young's & Thacker brothers & Dossers lad are a link back to the amateur days, we mustn't every loose that or you just become Wasps or Saffies, we are not that & never should be.
For every Austin Healey you need a Brett Deacon.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

WRFC, I don't care what their name is or what their Dad thinks he was, the only thing that matters is that they are from the catchment and they are treated fairly as individuals.

Winning this title is a great achievement for the group but I think it's important that these lads pursue an alternative career whilst they continue to grow.
I know from experience that they can change so much and develop much more outside of the bubble.
Obviously a few favourites will be picked out which is often based on predicted positional needs, but favourites don't always win.
These coaches seem to know what they are doing and look pretty relaxed about it all in interview, the players should follow their lead in my opinion!