George Ford

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: George Ford

Post by Rugbyflanker »

My argument is that if Ford isnt given a free ride he folds,as has been proven many times. All FH struggle with a beaten pack granted but even behind a dominant England or Tigers pack George hasn't shown much. Some superb passes off the wrong hand and some good kicking out of hand yes but he never bosses a game ever at the top level,that's my opinion of course but as a regular visitor of a few rugby blogs you very,very rarely find any Ford fans who's opinion isnt the same as mine (not that I've copied them,I've never rated Ford bar his early years and that one Bath season)
Goshengareth

Post by Goshengareth »

Interested to hear which dominant Tigers pack you've seen him play behind! Now who is wearing the red, white and green tinted specs ; )
Stephen18
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Stephen18 »

Rugbyflanker wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:46 pm My argument is that if Ford isnt given a free ride he folds,as has been proven many times. All FH struggle with a beaten pack granted but even behind a dominant England or Tigers pack George hasn't shown much. Some superb passes off the wrong hand and some good kicking out of hand yes but he never bosses a game ever at the top level,that's my opinion of course but as a regular visitor of a few rugby blogs you very,very rarely find any Ford fans who's opinion isnt the same as mine (not that I've copied them,I've never rated Ford bar his early years and that one Bath season)
Thats fine i dont mind thats your opinion i also dont thing ford is the best 10 in the world, but i dont think farrell is either and is not the solution to englands problems, he has also had as many games in the 10 shirt and hasn't produced with england, without his dominant sarries pack battering teams he just reverts to kicking away possessions. England don’t currently have a true world class 10, but together ford and farrell are able to be with fords attack and farrell pragmatic territory game and defence, tje issue with england is the forward pack and the tiredness of the loons players. I look forward to seeing ford back at tigers cause 1 i believe with him, toomu, manu, may and veainu and how are pack are playing we will see some world class rugby, and also with toomua playing the way he is at 10 it will force ford to play his best rugby or he’ll be dropped, and we’ll continue play the quality rugby we currently are win, win.
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

Who would you like at FH,Cips? Wasps play the best rugby in the AP and are arguably Europe's best team off first phase ball without having a monster pack. But how much is it Cups,how much Gopperth and how much I'd it excellent coaching?
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Rugbyflanker wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:12 pm Who would you like at FH,Cips? Wasps play the best rugby in the AP and are arguably Europe's best team off first phase ball without having a monster pack. But how much is it Cups,how much Gopperth and how much I'd it excellent coaching?
A pack containing Ashley Johnson, Nathan Hughes, Jack Willis, Thomas Young, Cooper-Woolley I would consider a great pack. Sure they are weak a bit on the loosehead side
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Stephen18
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Stephen18 »

Rugbyflanker wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:12 pm Who would you like at FH,Cips? Wasps play the best rugby in the AP and are arguably Europe's best team off first phase ball without having a monster pack. But how much is it Cups,how much Gopperth and how much I'd it excellent coaching?
I think you could put cips in and youd currenty get similar results, but yes i think gopperth makes a big difference to him, also his back row
Youngs, thompson, willis, Hughes and carr, also the attacking threat around him, with wade, la roux, de jonge. And I believe this is also where england are fail aswell as the obvious lack of backrow, also the lack of peoples attack in the backs, daly was the only one who came looking for the ball, teo was stopped on the game line as he just ran staight lines rather than at gaps, watson was none existent in the games so there are currently no outlets with the static slow ball they are getting. The other concerns is alwsys going to be cips defence at least george makes an attempt and holds them up, cips really even attempts, making even more wirk for the back row. For a while i thought slade would be the one but he seems to now be focusing on centre.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Wasps don't play the best rugby. They may play the most "entertaining" rugby but they have won nothing since 2008. I don't see how they can play the best rugby when they have won nothing.

Exeter Chiefs play the best rugby.
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

George Ford has played well for us. The number of times this season he has kicked a penalty to find touch 5-6 metres out only to see the forwards mess up. This cost us V Bath at home, a 4th try v Irish away etc. With Ford and Toomua in tandem we have two kickers, two tacticians. I would though make Toomua captain as I think he has the ability to really play what is in front of him rather than stick to rigid game plans. Time for us to back whatever team plays v Wasps and for the rest of the season. Come on Tigers: come on Fordy.
Stephen18
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Stephen18 »

I dont really see what’s aggressive about what he’s saying, he’s just saying the best rugby is the rugby which wins championships, and thst pragmatic, kicking points and forward oriented, thst how we won so many, thats how sarries won, and exeter. Wasps play exciting, entertaining Southern Hemisphere rugby like bath did 3/4 season ago but know bodies won a championship like that yet, I think Exeter are the closest but it still based on forward play and kicking points.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Horses for courses. Whilst the pack is on the front foot and balanced you can afford two pretty boy playmakers. One of whom can't tackle.
When the opposition is more direct, you must be more direct. Play the flyhalf who can tackle and a pair of centres who are, well, centres.

You have a squad so you can switch people round according to the opposition, be adaptable. It's called tactics.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

He knew what I meant though. And don't forget Wasps were one Hughes case of temporary deafness away from winning the AP and are on course for the playoffs again so it hasn't exactly failed as yet. They started off shocking but ourselves,Sarries and Chiefs have all had poor runs too so I wouldn't put that down to their style of play not working,just more a competitive AP. Everyone bar Sarries have failed in Europe this season and Chiefs were comfortably outchiefed by Leinster twice. Let's see how the season pans out first.
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

Ian Cant wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:34 pm George Ford has played well for us. The number of times this season he has kicked a penalty to find touch 5-6 metres out only to see the forwards mess up. This cost us V Bath at home,
That a quality kicker would have put between the posts to secure victory? Remember the disbelief in so many voices when the posts weren't indicated to even make the attempt?
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Rugbyflanker wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:53 pm He knew what I meant though. And don't forget Wasps were one Hughes case of temporary deafness away from winning the AP and are on course for the playoffs again so it hasn't exactly failed as yet. They started off shocking but ourselves,Sarries and Chiefs have all had poor runs too so I wouldn't put that down to their style of play not working,just more a competitive AP. Everyone bar Sarries have failed in Europe this season and Chiefs were comfortably outchiefed by Leinster twice. Let's see how the season pans out first.
Why do you presume I knew what you meant? You said Wasps play the best rugby. In my opinion they don't. If you meant "entertaining" rugby then why not say that? As I say, they are two completely different things.

Also, they may have made the play offs the past few seasons, but so have we, for a much longer period. How many trophies has this style won them? None.

If you want to watch that style of rugby and are not bothered about winning trophies then fine but for me, I'm happy to see stuff it up your jumper rugby, take the points and win 3-0. Now if the stuff it up your jumper style got us into the playoffs and we were to winthe Premiership Final, that would be the best rugby.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

ellis9 wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:22 am
Rugbyflanker wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:53 pm He knew what I meant though. And don't forget Wasps were one Hughes case of temporary deafness away from winning the AP and are on course for the playoffs again so it hasn't exactly failed as yet. They started off shocking but ourselves,Sarries and Chiefs have all had poor runs too so I wouldn't put that down to their style of play not working,just more a competitive AP. Everyone bar Sarries have failed in Europe this season and Chiefs were comfortably outchiefed by Leinster twice. Let's see how the season pans out first.
Why do you presume I knew what you meant? You said Wasps play the best rugby. In my opinion they don't. If you meant "entertaining" rugby then why not say that? As I say, they are two completely different things.

Also, they may have made the play offs the past few seasons, but so have we, for a much longer period. How many trophies has this style won them? None.

If you want to watch that style of rugby and are not bothered about winning trophies then fine but for me, I'm happy to see stuff it up your jumper rugby, take the points and win 3-0. Now if the stuff it up your jumper style got us into the playoffs and we were to winthe Premiership Final, that would be the best rugby.
Careful ellis9 you might be accused of being aggressive for stating the obvious! Tigers fans above all should know the difference between entertaining rugby and winning rugby - Quins were always entertaining but won little, Tigers often dour, but....
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

jgriffin wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:33 am
ellis9 wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:22 am

Careful ellis9 you might be accused of being aggressive for stating the obvious! Tigers fans above all should know the difference between entertaining rugby and winning rugby - Quins were always entertaining but won little, Tigers often dour, but....
I know. It does seem that if you speak the truth on here and challenge people's opinions, which is the art of conversation, then you get a PM asking you to calm down or respect others opinions. Imagine a world where people's opinions couldn't be challenged?! What a dreadful world it would be and unfortunately, a world which seems to be very, very close!