George Ford

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: George Ford

Post by Rugbyflanker »

I've just got one too! Although we often don't agree I like our back and Forth's,you always explain yourself very well
newport tiger
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by newport tiger »

BigDan50 wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:23 pm What's the point of playing George Ford for England, he doesn't tackle, poor kicking from hand, makes no line breaks and just ships out passes, really rate him as a club player but he has gone backwards playing for England.
Time to play Farrell at fly half with Danny Care as scrum half as I think Care has had a great game today behind a disorganised pack.
Since George has been off the field England have looked a different side.
I agree with most of your points, i feel that when Ford plays alongside Farrell he is too willing to hand over a lot of the responsibilities to him. Ford is every bit as good as Farrell at finding touch when kicking from hand so why keep giving the ball to Farrell. Ford proved on the Argentina tour that he is a class international F/H but he must impose himself on the game more and not live in Farrells shadow.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

It's pretty difficult for Ford to have the influence required when the bloke outside him is also a 10, kicks the easy goals that Daly isn't handed, and is also the wearing the Captain's armband!
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

Ford struggles with Toomua too,maybe he likes it when he's the main man
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Well that's a common trait for a 10 Rugbyflanker, and a useful one!
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

I think a second play maker is a good thing as it makes things harder from the opposition in that they cannot overcommit to dealing with the fly half threat.

If any given fly half can't cope with the concept of having an inside centre with the capacity to run a game then pick someone who can.

I have been pleased at how well Ford has coped defensively for Tigers this season however he simply lacks the bulk at international level so for me isn't the player England need.

The other issue England has is the way he gels with Danny Care, however the problem is probably more with Care's inability to control the big game in the way England need and get from Tom Youngs. How many games before Jones gets this I don't know.
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

mol2 wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:29 pm I think a second play maker is a good thing as it makes things harder from the opposition in that they cannot overcommit to dealing with the fly half threat.

If any given fly half can't cope with the concept of having an inside centre with the capacity to run a game then pick someone who can.

I have been pleased at how well Ford has coped defensively for Tigers this season however he simply lacks the bulk at international level so for me isn't the player England need.

The other issue England has is the way he gels with Danny Care, however the problem is probably more with Care's inability to control the big game in the way England need and get from Tom Youngs. How many games before Jones gets this I don't know.
Having a sniper like BY does put a defence in 'two-minds'. For all DC's ability, I never get that air of the unexpected as I do with BY. I would have thought players like Joe Simpson etc would be more useful at adding more options to the game profile?
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Youngs-Ford-Toomua is probably the best axis in the premiership. The key player being Toomua in that he can control a game like Farrell does for England at 12, but Toomua is naturally a centre so also attacks the gainline of the shoulder of the 10 and has a deft off loading game.

For England, Farrell sometimes plays too deep at 12 behind Ford giving him no options other than to pass it out wide. No disrespect to Farrell, but at the end of the day he is a fly half playing out of position.

When Ford comes back to Tigers I’m sure we’ll see the best of him as he will be playing with a proper 12 who mixes up his options outside him.
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

Shame games arnt won on paper!
Stephen18
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Stephen18 »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:26 pm When Ford comes back to Tigers I’m sure we’ll see the best of him as he will be playing with a proper 12 who mixes up his options outside him.
I hope this does prove to be true, and hopefully without all the pressure of england and playing with Farrell he’ll get back to where he was a couple of seasons ago.
beech

Post by beech »

Perhaps the critics of George Ford should reaccess their opinion after the Ireland game. When he came on England started to threaten the Irish line and this resulted in two tries. His work with Farrell gives England the best attacking option available at present and his play with Toomua is the best option for Tigers.
tf22
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

beech wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:11 pm Perhaps the critics of George Ford should reaccess their opinion after the Ireland game. When he came on England started to threaten the Irish line and this resulted in two tries. His work with Farrell gives England the best attacking option available at present and his play with Toomua is the best option for Tigers.
Agreed. Looking forward to seeing them both in tandem, but the most important thing is that the pack keep providing front foot ball, the rest will then follow.
Soggypitch
NONAME
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by NONAME »

I'm not a big Ford fan but when he came on for England he made a difference. It should be noted we actually out scored the Irish and began to look like a team again. Obviously because of his size he is targeted by the opposition but unlike some 10's I've not seem him shy away from making a tackle.

MT has done well in Fords absence but he and SH have been getting good ball as the forwards have improved significantly so I would hope for a top class performance against Wasps and a win with a bonus point is a possibility if Tigers bring their A game.
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

What outscored them 3 tries to 3?! Unless you mean second half and that's just straw clutching
Richardfje

Post by Richardfje »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:26 pm but Toomua is naturally a centre so also attacks the gainline of the shoulder of the 10 and has a deft off loading game.
Toomua is not naturally a centre he is naturally a fly-half and played 12 for the first time when he debuted for Australia since he was under 11 at school. This is why tigers performances have improved so much when he played at 10 because it is he is natural position and he plays better there.