Wuss vs Tigers

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

ourla
Super User
Super User

Re: Wuss vs Tigers

Post by ourla »

Chobbsy wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:14 am As the match wasn't on TV I didn't get to see it.
It was. It was on BT Sports Extra. Which on my system was channel 450.
Chobbsy wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:14 amI am interested in if Manu is starting to look like anywhere near the old Manu or if he was in the right place at the right time for his try?
He was anonymous for the first 20 minutes. I was wondering if he'd been a late withdrawal from the team. However, he made a few good breaks after that. In particular there was run in the second half where he showed good strength and leg pump when tackled. His defence was good. His try was opportune. Basically a one yard pick up and dot down. Was surprised to see him there at the base of a ruck! He was clearly delighted though. For me Manu is coming on get great and starting to look more like himself each week.
Chobbsy wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:14 amAlso, where has the big change been in the performance?
Accuracy, simplified game plan. Good line speed and intensity at the breakdown.
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

JP14 wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:44 am
Robespierre wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:36 pm
Rugbyflanker wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:32 pm Is BOC England's answer at 7?
Don't think so, but then again, who will Eddie want at 7 come the World Cup? A Curry, Underhill, Simmonds, that Willis boy from Wasps? Why not BOC?
Don’t forget Will Evans, he has been in an EPS
Brian Moore in the DT today is expounding England's woes/lack of balance in the back row. He mentioned Don Armand obviously, but BOC and even Will Evans were also mentioned as genuine open sides. BOC has been our most consistent forward for a few weeks now, I really hope he's fighting fit for the rest of the season.

Otherwise no doubt Bateman could do an excellent job at 7 :smt003
Soggypitch
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Tomvarndell wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:39 am
voice of the crumbie wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:06 am
JP14 wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:49 am I think Roly might be ill or on holiday or something, because even though we are cruising at the moment I thought he would be criticising the poor handling in the 1st half and the maul defence on Worcester’s only try.
His silence speaks volumes.
I'm sure he will be back. Probably after we've been beaten 31-30 in the final by Exeter after being reduced to 13men and having a perfectly good try disallowed whilst Exeter were given two very controversial tries! He will appear telling us all how poor we've been all year and how Saracens would definitely would have grinded out a win even under those circumstances and blaming the ref is just being a bad loser. :smt002
I think he has told us several times that he is the armed forces, so he is probably away on some top secret posting! :smt070
TTRITH
Super User
Super User

Post by TTRITH »

LE18 wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:41 pm
Tomvarndell wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:39 am
voice of the crumbie wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:06 am

His silence speaks volumes.
I'm sure he will be back. Probably after we've been beaten 31-30 in the final by Exeter after being reduced to 13men and having a perfectly good try disallowed whilst Exeter were given two very controversial tries! He will appear telling us all how poor we've been all year and how Saracens would definitely would have grinded out a win even under those circumstances and blaming the ref is just being a bad loser. :smt002
I think he has told us several times that he is the armed forces, so he is probably away on some top secret posting! :smt070
And we are talking about a poster who hasn't contributed to this debate because....? :smt017
Richard Burnett
:axe: :smt100
Stephen18
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Stephen18 »

Having watched the game back although the score flattered us due to their poor hands in the 1st half. When we got chances we took them something that hasn't been happening recently, barring a couple of individual bits of skill by veainu, we worked through the phases well and finished them. Toomua has definitely added spark at 10, but i do think ford needs to come back in in, not cause of toomua more because of the lack of depth at 12, tait has done ok great against sarries but went missing against Worcester and is a target for big ball carriers, as where when they target 10 the tackle assists can come across from the backrow, and with the forwards carrying, and quicker ball from Harrison(although still a bit to much kicking) i think he go well and with toomua able to step in aswell its going to create holes in the defence. As for manu the days of get the ball to manu are gone with the attacking threat we now have in toomua, veainu and may. Whichndoes seem to help him grow into the game as defences tires, and he starts to make the breaks.
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

I'be just voted for the Jonah Holmes try in the Citizen try of the week competition mainlu because it was a real team try that involved about 8 players and it was Amazing. :smt026
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Noddy555 wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:28 pm I'be just voted for the Jonah Holmes try in the Citizen try of the week competition mainlu because it was a real team try that involved about 8 players and it was Amazing. :smt026
Our best real team try since JP Pietersen vs Bristol in fact
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

I think Stephen18 sums up our season pretty well, we have done a lot right in the past in getting the ball to the try line but have failed to get over it from close range, now we seem to be managing to do that. With May and Viennu we have had the ability to score long range try's but failed too often when within 5 metres either with lack of grunt, lack of subtlety or just indiscipline. The last two weeks have been an improvement but there is still more to come.
With a couple of weeks off if every one bar Owen and Ben Youngs is fit and England with players returning Matt O'C has some big decisions to make on selection. Bateman/Genge, Cole/Mulipola/Cilliers, Kitchener/Fitzgerald/Barrow/Wells, Williams/Hamilton/, O'Connor/Evans and two wingers out of May, Holmes, Thompstone and Malouf. What a great position to be in, its a long time since we had so many choices.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

johnthegriff wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:48 am I think Stephen18 sums up our season pretty well, we have done a lot right in the past in getting the ball to the try line but have failed to get over it from close range, now we seem to be managing to do that. With May and Viennu we have had the ability to score long range try's but failed too often when within 5 metres either with lack of grunt, lack of subtlety or just indiscipline. The last two weeks have been an improvement but there is still more to come.
With a couple of weeks off if every one bar Owen and Ben Youngs is fit and England with players returning Matt O'C has some big decisions to make on selection. Bateman/Genge, Cole/Mulipola/Cilliers, Kitchener/Fitzgerald/Barrow/Wells, Williams/Hamilton/, O'Connor/Evans and two wingers out of May, Holmes, Thompstone and Malouf. What a great position to be in, its a long time since we had so many choices.
Has Bateman ever played at No 8, with great hands like his and the carrying he does, would this move improve our go forward? Just a thought! :smt001
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

LE18 wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:21 pm
johnthegriff wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:48 am I think Stephen18 sums up our season pretty well, we have done a lot right in the past in getting the ball to the try line but have failed to get over it from close range, now we seem to be managing to do that. With May and Viennu we have had the ability to score long range try's but failed too often when within 5 metres either with lack of grunt, lack of subtlety or just indiscipline. The last two weeks have been an improvement but there is still more to come.
Has Bateman ever played at No 8, with great hands like his and the carrying he does, would this move improve our go forward? Just a thought! :smt001
No 8? He's only a couple of pounds lighter and an inch or so shorter than Basteraud - so put 13 on his back and tell him not to get so muddy!
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

strawclearer wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:28 pm
LE18 wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:21 pm
No 8? He's only a couple of pounds lighter and an inch or so shorter than Basteraud - so put 13 on his back and tell him not to get so muddy!
Ahh! Matthieu Bastareaud, aka Fat Bast....!!
Semper in excretia