Wuss vs Tigers

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Re: Wuss vs Tigers

Post by TigerCam »

IMO Bateman fits into the mould that Mark wants to reproduce in the forwards. I am really impressed with him and along side Genge and Cole they could be just the front row that the back five can work off?
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

Genge,TPN,Bateman for me,the days of the TH who just scrummages are coming to an end I'm afraid.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Rugbyflanker wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:44 pm Genge,TPN,Bateman for me,the days of the TH who just scrummages are coming to an end I'm afraid.
Dan Cole is one of a dying breed but I think we need to bring Tadhg Furlong types rather than trying to find the next Ben Tameifuna
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Grimlish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Grimlish »

Anyone who thinks Dan Cole only scrummages just cant have been watching the same player I have been. Throughout his career and increasingly he has been as effective a jackal at the breakdown as any other tight five player (and a good few 6s, 7s and 8s we have deployed). He has a decent rugby brain (and a decent brain too), and clearly shows leadership on the pitch. I rate Greg highly - but Genge, TPN & GB is not my preferred starting lineup.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

LE18 wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:40 pm
sam16111986 wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:39 pm Won't happen but I'd like to see Worth in at 12. Secondary playmaker, which is how we'll play when Ford is back. Worth is also more physical than Tait and Worcester have some big ball carriers. The rest of the backline is pretty experienced so it's not like we need Tait there for organisational purposes.
People keep asking for Worth, but I am concerned that he appears to be lacking in pace.
He's not rapid but I think he has enough pace to make it at AP level especially in the centres. Tait is a player on the decline, we can keep patching him up and giving him one year deals but it's a short term fix or we can invest some game time in Worth. We have a strong backline around him, it's a prime chance to drip feed a development player in. Worth is already a better tackler.

Develop Worth now and we could have a goal kicking utility back for the next decade. Remember how great Vesty was for the Tigers squad? Worth could be similar. Unless we don't play him and he leaves.
Stephen18
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Stephen18 »

sam16111986 wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:32 pm
sam16111986 wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:39 pm Won't happen but I'd like to see Worth in at 12. Secondary playmaker, which is how we'll play when Ford is back. Worth is also more physical than Tait and Worcester have some big ball carriers. The rest of the backline is pretty experienced so it's not like we need Tait there for organisational purposes.
People keep asking for Worth, but I am concerned that he appears to be lacking in pace.
He's not rapid but I think he has enough pace to make it at AP level especially in the centres. Tait is a player on the decline, we can keep patching him up and giving him one year deals but it's a short term fix or we can invest some game time in Worth. We have a strong backline around him, it's a prime chance to drip feed a development player in. Worth is already a better tackler.

Develop Worth now and we could have a goal kicking utility back for the next decade. Remember how great Vesty was for the Tigers squad? Worth could be similar. Unless we don't play him and he leaves.
That may be the plan, but they probably also feel they might need more than one utiliy play with internationals, the injury record of the likes of manu, owens, toomua and vienu.
So are probably thinking it a good idea to keep tait around for another year as hes a quality former international who could help support and bring on development players such as worth, hardwick, simmons, white and olowofela rather than just throwing them in setting them up for failure like against caste.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Stephen18 wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:24 pm

That may be the plan, but they probably also feel they might need more than one utiliy play with internationals, the injury record of the likes of manu, owens, toomua and vienu.
So are probably thinking it a good idea to keep tait around for another year as hes a quality former international who could help support and bring on development players such as worth, hardwick, simmons, white and olowofela rather than just throwing them in setting them up for failure like against caste.
Castres they threw in a whole side of development players. Had they had a competent flyhalf on the pitch I think they'd have grabbed a couple of tries.

Tait renewing for next season is a sound move but it's a short term move. Slotting Worth into an experienced backline with Tait on the bench this weekend is giving a development player the chance to show what he can do in the first team with experience on the bench who can come on for him if he's struggling.
Stephen18
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Stephen18 »

sam16111986 wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:03 pm
Stephen18 wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:24 pm

Castres they threw in a whole side of development players. Had they had a competent flyhalf on the pitch I think they'd have grabbed a couple of tries.

Tait renewing for next season is a sound move but it's a short term move. Slotting Worth into an experienced backline with Tait on the bench this weekend is giving a development player the chance to show what he can do in the first team with experience on the bench who can come on for him if he's struggling.
The castre back line was
Harrison
J ford
Thompstone
Thacker
Smith
Brady
Worth
So only the 2 development players and obviously ford whos not that level and the forwards where
Bateman
Thacker
Cilliers
Well
Fitzgerald
Evans
Ryan
Mapapalangi
So there wasnt that many development players there either, and there was a lot of experience on the bench as well with rizzo, nau, o connor, tait, malouf.
teds
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by teds »

Grimlish wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:30 pm Anyone who thinks Dan Cole only scrummages just cant have been watching the same player I have been. Throughout his career and increasingly he has been as effective a jackal at the breakdown as any other tight five player (and a good few 6s, 7s and 8s we have deployed). He has a decent rugby brain (and a decent brain too), and clearly shows leadership on the pitch. I rate Greg highly - but Genge, TPN & GB is not my preferred starting lineup.
+1
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

teds wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:34 am
Grimlish wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:30 pm Anyone who thinks Dan Cole only scrummages just cant have been watching the same player I have been. Throughout his career and increasingly he has been as effective a jackal at the breakdown as any other tight five player (and a good few 6s, 7s and 8s we have deployed). He has a decent rugby brain (and a decent brain too), and clearly shows leadership on the pitch. I rate Greg highly - but Genge, TPN & GB is not my preferred starting lineup.
+1
I would like to see it given a go. I'm sure Bateman is perfectly capable of holding his own in the tight at 3.
Soggypitch
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

I have to say I would return Bateman to hooker.

I suspect he was swapped to prop by our former head coach who didn't approve of big hookers!

He clearly has the pace to play hooker, however bulking up further to have more power in the scrum may not be the best use of his skills.
Spicer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Spicer »

mol2 wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:29 pm I have to say I would return Bateman to hooker.

I suspect he was swapped to prop by our former head coach who didn't approve of big hookers!

He clearly has the pace to play hooker, however bulking up further to have more power in the scrum may not be the best use of his skills.
Imagine a front row of Genge, Bateman and Cole.... :smt049
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

Does anyone know if Sixways has under soil heating??? - I believe it is a hi bred pitch but stand to be corrected.
Hehehehehehehehe
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

trendylfj wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:32 pm Does anyone know if Sixways has under soil heating??? - I believe it is a hi bred pitch but stand to be corrected.
Worcester have stated that the game is still on
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

trendylfj wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:32 pm Does anyone know if Sixways has under soil heating??? - I believe it is a hi bred pitch but stand to be corrected.
hi bred pitch, trendy? you should stick to "face edgbf"! :smt045