Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

fleabane
Super User
Super User

Ford or Toomua?

Post by fleabane »

Dayglo on the Scotland v England match:

“George Ford didn’t seem to have the flexibility to adapt the gameplan when Scotland were imposing themselves on the floor. Watching him yesterday was like a repeat of some of the Leicester matches in which he has also struggled this season.”

Is this Tigers problem in a nutshell? How much better is Toomua? Is he yet to be tested at 10 behind an unimposing pack?
Last edited by fleabane on Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Valhalla I am coming!
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Re: Ford or Tomua?

Post by RagingBull »

Would still stick with Ford and Toomua especially with Owen out.

No surprise Ford played like he did at Tigers with England. England’s pack did it’s best impression of the Tigers pack. (In hindsight Wigglesworth starting would have been the best option considering how well he can control a game). Doesn’t help when JJ offered not much attacking threat either.

Think what yesterday showed was keep it simple and do it with aggression, and I don’t see why Ford can’t do that.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Harrison was the point of difference yesterday, took control and kept it tight when required, kicked when required and passed it out to the backs when required, he made the ball do a lot of work where sometimes recently the forwards have been asked to do all of that work.
I thought the commentary made a good point, there are 15 players on the park and constantly going through one player neglects other areas of the game.
Leicester have been predictable but yesterday they were not!
I know it wasn't Saracens strongest team given all of their players out but their defence was very good away at Sale last week so they are no slouches but Leicester's attack was varied and importantly for me the forwards used the grip on that pitch very well!
I don't really think it must be a Ford v Toomua debate, they can play together or not and it's elsewhere that's important!
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

For me this is a no debate thread. IMHO there is no chance that GF will not be our FH unless he is injured. How we use him is a much more important issue and with our pack beginning to function better, I am very hopeful for the rest of the season.
Hehehehehehehehe
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

The difference was simply the performance of the pack. Provide front foot ball and the game becomes much, much easier.

The biggest difference I noted about the performance against Saracens was that players were targeting the gaps between players not seeking to take the ball into contact.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Like any 10, the game is easier with front foot ball. Tigers have played virtually the whole season behind the gain line. If the forwards continue to improve their ball carrying and make ground then Ford will come into his own.
Spicer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Spicer »

The gain line success was the difference from the forwards. Toomua is not a brilliant goal kicker either.
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Both to play. Ford And Toomua to play together with Hardwick given bench place to offer plenty of kicking options. Surely Dusty can also take on coaching kicking. One of the best I have ever seen( still treasure the long drop kick to win the game v The All Blacks at Welford Road: for The Midlands, I think!) Harrison too can kick so get them all practicing. Certainly Toomua needs to be captain as he is clever enough to change tactics. On another different matter; well done Manu on passing to Holmes as it was a) unselfish and b) ensured the conversion was straight forward as though Manu would have scored I like the fact he gave the supporting player the ball. Well done Holmes too, great running support. More of the same for the rest of the season please.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Both.
Ford's tactical kicking is far superior & can help the team, just because we have a stellar back line, doesn't mean you have to keep passing the ball along it, if we play a varied game it keeps defences guessing. With a fit & on form Manu outside them it will assist.
More importantly when they are both in the XV, Joe Ford doesn't need to be wasting a place on the bench.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Yeah both, especially with Owen out (again🙄)
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Tiger93

Post by Tiger93 »

Someone please edit the title of this thread :smt022
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Tiger93 wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:32 pm Someone please edit the title of this thread :smt022
Yes before the rumour ends up on Twitter that Leicester are interested in signing someone called Tomua!
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Can Ford play 12? Or is he not robust enough?
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Old Hob wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:10 pm Can Ford play 12? Or is he not robust enough?
Bateman's our replacement 12. :smt003

...and Ford/Toomua is still our best 10/12 combo imho.
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Tiger93

Post by Tiger93 »

Old Hob wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:10 pm Can Ford play 12? Or is he not robust enough?
No way! 10 only im afraid. Hasn't got the pace for 15 either.