Guscott in the rugby paper

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

teds
Silver Member
Silver Member

Guscott in the rugby paper

Post by teds »

I was surprised to read Jeremy Guscott in the rugby paper.... "Farrell is playing at a different level now to most of his rivals in the Six Nations. It's prett statospheric, and when it comes to the improvement a player can make he is the benchmark."

We already know Ellis will tell us that he thinks Farrell is rubbish but what do others think? How do you rate Farrell against say Sexton.? Also in improvement - I personally thought Farrell had reached a good standard about three years ago but hasn't moved on since.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Re: Guscott in the rugby paper

Post by ourla »

1. Guscott is a :censored: pundit.

2. Farrell has been brilliant for ages. How do you improve on brilliance.

3. The phrase "bee in your bonnet" was created for ellis.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Personally do like Farrell as a person (just something about him) but as a rugby player he is consistently good, Lions Tour in 2013 made him imho.
Sexton still a better 10, Farrell looks more suited to 12 at International level, plenty of better FH's.

As for Guscott.....think I might prefer Dayglo....& I really hate him!
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

Guscott,the most anti English Englishman in the world! Farrell is world class though,Sexton is a tad overrated for me.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

For once I agree with Guscott, Farrell is a class act. I’d go as far to say that he’s up there defensively with the best 12s and definitely the best 10s in world rugby. When at 10, you very rarely beat him for physicality. His mentality is almost Wilkinson-like, it’s always the next job, the next game, he’s never satisfied and looks to improve. His rise to the top has accelerated in the last couple of years, more line breaks, improved kicking, bigger hits and whilst he’s still got that red mist inside him, his discipline has tightened up a lot. One of the world’s best players.
Bunchy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Bunchy »

Totally agree, I think there’s a lot of anti Saracens on here which clouds judgement. He is one of our few world class players. He has developed his game so much over the past few seasons, and now is a potent attacking threat as well as a tough defensive player. We are lucky to have him.
Less is more....
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

Bunchy wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:50 am Totally agree, I think there’s a lot of anti Saracens on here which clouds judgement. He is one of our few world class players. He has developed his game so much over the past few seasons, and now is a potent attacking threat as well as a tough defensive player. We are lucky to have him.
+1 :smt023
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

I think that Farrell has got better more recently, and I think that finally receiving the wide recognition that he is in fact an extremely good player has boosted his confidence to raise his game and attack with confidence!
I do like his development as a player, he puts to shame many limited talent ID and coaching theories, his basics have always been extremely strong and it's great to see the difference good coaching and exposure can make, great example for young players in my opinion!
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

A agree with all the comments on Farrell above. He's always been a good player, excellent kicker and with a great big match temperament. What's changed over the last couple of seasons is his ability to make line breaks and put others into space on a consistent basis.

Cracking player.
Soggypitch
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

IMO Fazlet has made great strides in the last two years and is a top international. Previously of suspect temperament, albeit most excellent off-field ambassadorship, he has matured and grown as a player.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

Well on Guscotts expertise ... can we just mention that yesterday he confidently predicted an England win by 15 points .. meanwhile the wise old Johnno councilled caution and said that beware Scotland .. he had a gut feeling they were going to turn up! .. that's why he was a world cup winning captain and Guscott (good player though he was) wasn't!
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

Notwithstanding this article Saturdays abysmal performance By Guscott and the rest of the panel made me want to puke and the colour brown (not I hasten to add anything to do with skin colour) was uppermost in my mind. They were so far up one wonders how they managed to crawl back out again. :smt043 :smt043 :smt043
Experimental

Post by Experimental »

Farrell is a quality quality player and is definitely one of Englands world class players, but he is not on a par yet with sexton or Barrett imo. Sexton is the Lions 10. Guscott has become a better pundit over the years, but hes wrong on this one.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Farrell is an extremely good player but he isn't world class.
A fully fit Billy V is England's only potential world class player in my opinion.
Launchbury might be one day, if he can mature into a more commanding figure.
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

Farrell is a really good player and will, one hopes, become a great player. IMO Guscott was good in his day but nothing special, playing rugby under the rules that applied then. IMO his punditry borders on 'self-gratification' and is on a par with S. Barnes. They really do suit each other?
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat