Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Re: Sarries vs Tigers

Post by TigerCam »

TomWeston wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:59 pm
Jimmy Skitz wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:11 pm deserved try for his work rate for Holmes, a little surprised Manu gave it to him
Give the poor handling by our backs recently Manu deserves to be fined for having given Holmes the opportunity to drop it and thereby squander the TBP. Holmes was nearer the ‘H’ but the TBP was worth more than the extra 2 points.
IMO maybe Manu had the foresight in knowing that Sarries score most of their points in the latter stages of a game so by getting the ball to JH the two extra points were insurance for the win and no LBP for Sarries?
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
Stephen18
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Stephen18 »

Rugbyflanker wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:03 am I'd think about keeping MT at 10 too,Veainu doesn't score that try with George at 10,simple as because he doesn't get that offload in the first place,George just isn't a running threat these days.
Well you probably would as toomua would still play at 12, and is a second option at 1st recievet so you can split the attack with 2 recievers, off go forward george splits team's apart look at the Argentina tour or what he was doing with bath. A couple of bad games with england and togers behind a poor back dont show what he can do in attack. As long as the forwards carry on playing like that and if sam ( who i believe was the main reason for our attacking play) keeps the ball moving those gaps will come.
teds
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by teds »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:11 pm deserved try for his work rate for Holmes, a little surprised Manu gave it to him
Give the poor handling by our backs recently Manu deserves to be fined for having given Holmes the opportunity to drop it and thereby squander the TBP. Holmes was nearer the ‘H’ but the TBP was worth more than the extra 2 points.
I kind of agree on both of these points, but I think it says something about the growing positivity of the squad. I actually wondered if Manu gave it to Holmes because he was too tired to run it under the posts himself. Whatever the specifics, Manu is making significant progress and Holmes has shown he is well up to premiership standard on the wing.
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

Since when have we ever split the field when they've both been playing?! Our attack has been like watching junior rugby at times. Let's not kid ourselves here
Stephen18
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Stephen18 »

teds wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:37 pm
I kind of agree on both of these points, but I think it says something about the growing positivity of the squad. I actually wondered if Manu gave it to Holmes because he was too tired to run it under the posts himself. Whatever the specifics, Manu is making significant progress and Holmes has shown he is well up to premiership standard on the wing.
Thats was why i thought he did it, he looked out on his feet, i thought at that point they should have bought j ford on cause he just disappeared out the game, but it show the management would rather play with a player absolutely knackard than bring ford on so why waste the spot on the bench, pick someone who consider bringing on.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Rugbyflanker wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:56 pm Since when have we ever split the field when they've both been playing?! Our attack has been like watching junior rugby at times. Let's not kid ourselves here
The Ford/Toomua axis at 10 and 12 was been a rare good point in a poor season. I'd like to see Ford given the same front foot ball by the forwards Toomua enjoyed and watch Johnny May get put into space out wide after we've dragged the defence all over the park.

Re Manu, I think he was concerned that Nathan Earle was behind him and he is pacey. Move the ball away to stop an attempted tackle as he went over. What Manu couldn't see was Earle give up some distance before the line. For someone tipped to be a future international he was terrible on the wing for Sarries.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

sam16111986 wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:57 pm
Rugbyflanker wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:56 pm Since when have we ever split the field when they've both been playing?! Our attack has been like watching junior rugby at times. Let's not kid ourselves here
The Ford/Toomua axis at 10 and 12 was been a rare good point in a poor season. I'd like to see Ford given the same front foot ball by the forwards Toomua enjoyed and watch Johnny May get put into space out wide after we've dragged the defence all over the park.

Re Manu, I think he was concerned that Nathan Earle was behind him and he is pacey. Move the ball away to stop an attempted tackle as he went over. What Manu couldn't see was Earle give up some distance before the line. For someone tipped to be a future international he was terrible on the wing for Sarries.
Manu passed just to show that he can pass the ball! :smt045
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

Where were these high points then bar Castres? I'm not trying to be argumentative for the sake of it,I'm genuinely curious. Ford's best two games were Wasps away when Owen was outside him and Newcastle away when Tait and Smith were outside him and Toomuas best two games were his last two at FH. I can't remember it ever working bar Castres and that was just open season due to none existent line speed or defensive realignment.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Ospreys preseason game? Rugbyflanker
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

Its a bit of a stretch being a friendly JP but I hear ya (did you get round to going a Denton video?) The long and short of it is that Ford/Tait,Ford/Owen,Toomua/Tait and Toomua/Owen has looked better than Ford/Toomua had at any stage this season bar Castres which looks like a one off now. We have to remember Bakewell wasn't here for Fords two best games either. This is not a Ford bashing post but I hate seeing players parachuted in for the sake of it to the detriment of the team. Of course I could be totally wrong and they strike a brilliant relationship or we could have to face that it might be one or the other. I would hate to continue this run and for Ford to be pit straight back in the team post 6N. Say for instance Scotland was the final game would you put Ford straight back in the Wuss XV? I wouldn't,but MOC would.
DeadlyDunc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DeadlyDunc »

Late to reply (as always) but it was great to see such a shift in mentality in the forwards and to get over the gain line at times with apparent ease.

The challenge is to repeat this level of performance next week in a tough fixture at Worcester, if we can get another 4 points then it would be another big step forward if we maintain standards from Saracens across the pitch.

Positive signs though which is nice to see and nice to type!
Bunchy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Bunchy »

I think the main point is as per a lot of views on here, Ford and Toomua will be much better once we have some front foot ball. If the pack continues the current improvement then I can’t wait to see Ford & Toomua on the front foot...... having 2 ball players at 10/12 is advantageous
Less is more....
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Rugbyflanker wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:18 am Its a bit of a stretch being a friendly JP but I hear ya (did you get round to going a Denton video?) The long and short of it is that Ford/Tait,Ford/Owen,Toomua/Tait and Toomua/Owen has looked better than Ford/Toomua had at any stage this season bar Castres which looks like a one off now. We have to remember Bakewell wasn't here for Fords two best games either. This is not a Ford bashing post but I hate seeing players parachuted in for the sake of it to the detriment of the team. Of course I could be totally wrong and they strike a brilliant relationship or we could have to face that it might be one or the other. I would hate to continue this run and for Ford to be pit straight back in the team post 6N. Say for instance Scotland was the final game would you put Ford straight back in the Wuss XV? I wouldn't,but MOC would.
I will do the Denton video once the season is over at the moment I’m doing Six Nations videos
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Timmers
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Timmers »

There’s a lot of talk about the centres and back line improvement when in reality the recent wins all stems from more physical forwards who are able to clear out quickly and make metres from relatively static positions which creates loads more time for the back line.

When our forwards play badly all of a sudden Harrison and Young’s aren’t performing, veuinu’s lost his feet and ford can’t play with Tamoua.

Bateman and o’connoR were sensational this weekend, leading the way for more back line possession.

Ford, Tamoua, manu remains the obvious starting combination when available but Tait hasn’t put a foot wrong at 12 or 13. He had one game against Munster where he didn’t have the physicality to clear out the breakdown at 12 and got slated for it but his all round game was solid. Unfortunately age isn’t on his side, he only has 60 minutes at 100% in him and he’s preventing future players from getting game time so I expect we’ll offload him at the end of the season.
Thompstone vs Holmes when May returns? My vote goes for Holmes every day of the week.
Clowbeck
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Clowbeck »

Timmers wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:08 pm Thompstone vs Holmes when May returns? My vote goes for Holmes every day of the week.
I've beat the drum for Holmes to get more game time all season. He had a pretty good pre-season, as good as Malouf but hasnt played as much. At the min Holmes is a very good understudy for May, perhaps capable of playing full back when Telusa is out, he certainly has the pace, tenacity, and agility.

I interpret Manu feeding the ball to Holmes for the try at the weekend as Manu recognising the contribution Holmes is making to the team...but perhaps not hauling in the points.