Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: New Forwards Coach - Mark Bakewell

Post by wellstiger »

My opinion....
I was critical of BoD in not getting a decent coaching team to assist MOC earlier in the season following departure of Blaze.
Over mid way into the season we have Bakewell who could start to get our forwards engaged and may even bring a more disciplined attacking game. If we finish the season better than we started then,that, for me, is job done.
Yes I would like top 4 and a chance with the big boys of Europe next season.
So I'm keeping my powder dry and giving the coaches time to bed in and Bakewell time to get going before being overtly critical.

Who knows ----MAY JUST BE SURPRISED. :smt031
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Seems a hopeful coincidence that our best forward displays came from players regularly indulging in combat during training, and now Bakewell is reintroducing it. This was the approach that died when AM came in, rumour had it.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

jgriffin wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:05 pm
Seems a hopeful coincidence that our best forward displays came from players regularly indulging in combat during training, and now Bakewell is reintroducing it. This was the approach that died when AM came in, rumour had it.
Let’s hope these boxing fights reinvigorate Tiger’s grit and dog in matches that’s been missing these past few years.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Seems to talk sense etc, but unless change comes on the pitch it will all be hot air.
Don't think we have the wrong forwards (there are a few duffers) they just seem a bit clueless at times, they just need direction & for an entire game plan that suits the players we have. Hopefully he wont be afraid to drop the seemingly undropable, the last person to do that was Dwyer, who without Deano would of had a very different task.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
maroontrunks
Tiger Cub

Post by maroontrunks »

Think he may have earned his paycheque within a week.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

maroontrunks wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:13 pm Think he may have earned his paycheque within a week.
Don’t talk too soon
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

JP14 wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:28 pm
jgriffin wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:05 pm
Let’s hope these boxing fights reinvigorate Tiger’s grit and dog in matches that’s been missing these past few years.
Ba-boom!!!! Beasting returns??? :smt004
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

Just a quick thought. Did Bakewell coach Genge whilst at Bristol. If he did, as I assume he did, then I do hope there was no animosity between them and hope Bakewell's appointment does not unsettle Gengey in anyway. He seems settled and happy in our environment up till now.

Having said that no player is bigger than the club etc etc .. and so far Bakewell is saying and indeed doing the right things .. may it long continue .. he seems a good fit for us.
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

mightymouse wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:11 am Just a quick thought. Did Bakewell coach Genge whilst at Bristol. If he did, as I assume he did, then I do hope there was no animosity between them and hope Bakewell's appointment does not unsettle Gengey in anyway. He seems settled and happy in our environment up till now.

Having said that no player is bigger than the club etc etc .. and so far Bakewell is saying and indeed doing the right things .. may it long continue .. he seems a good fit for us.
I, too, wondered about that. However as far as I remember Gengeys problems were off the pitch!
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

Read elsewhere that they only overlapped at Briz by a couple of weeks. Not sure how correct that is but hardly enough time and any 'issues' for Ellis at Briz would probably have started before that.
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Think Bakewell arrived in Bristol around mid Feb Genge signed for Leicester on loan 22nd Feb.

So two weeks max roughly.
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

WhitecapTiger wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:37 am Read elsewhere that they only overlapped at Briz by a couple of weeks. Not sure how correct that is but hardly enough time and any 'issues' for Ellis at Briz would probably have started before that.
I believe he had some 'issues' with the local bill? Anyway, he is settled now and Mark eluded to the fact that it is forwards like Genge that are the type of player that will succeed in the game as it is played under the rules now? Looking forward to having him back going full tilt!!
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

TigerCam wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:13 pm http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/43331807

Mark gets the stick out!!!
Love it! :smt079
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives