Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Re: Denton

Post by Chobbsy »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:44 pm
WildGoose wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:11 pm I'm totally underwhelmed, he's nowhere near good enough to drag us out from this torpor. The loose forwards are almost entirely desperately average and so far we've signed two Worcester players and a Wasps reject. No-one was expecting Kieran Read but there's so much mediocrity. And it cleared isn't helped by the culture that exists at the moment. Players get better at Exeter, get reinvigorated at Saracens - we just seem to make 7/10 players look like 5/10 players, and the 9s and 10s are a thing of the past.

The hope lies in a very good back-line and front-row, and the hope that the excellent crop of Under 20s start looking the part in 2-3 years. Although under the present regime, it's hard to see why they'd stick around - they're not going to get better and they're not going to win things. It's not even like they get much game time! Shambles all ends up.
:smt015 there is no pleasing some people. There’s hardly loads of quality 8s on the market nor are the likes of Hughes Faletau Vunipola etc likely to leave their respective clubs. Everyone moans but can’t suggest any realistic and viable other options.

I’ve not doubt Denton will prove that he is the much needed ball carrier we need. Surely signing an international quality 8 plus a proper forwards coach is going in the right direction.
I agree, a great ball carrier and fantastic defence
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
PaulinBroughton
Tiger Cub

Post by PaulinBroughton »

Great isn't it, the guys only just signed and according to some he's not good enough.
Not even given a chance to prove otherwise.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

There are clips of him on Youtube, I will make a rugby tribute myself towards May time
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CitizenSmiff »

IMHO how important Denton turns out to be is directly tied to how much money he's on. Great acquisition if it's in the squad player range, pretty underwhelming if it's how we're spending the balance of Crofty's wages after his retirement.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

CitizenSmiff wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:11 pm IMHO how important Denton turns out to be is directly tied to how much money he's on. Great acquisition if it's in the squad player range, pretty underwhelming if it's how we're spending the balance of Crofty's wages after his retirement.
Croft’s final contract was pretty low from what I heard.
WildGoose
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by WildGoose »

PaulinBroughton wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:06 am Great isn't it, the guys only just signed and according to some he's not good enough.
It's not like he's been playing in Japan for 6 years and no-one has seen him play though is it? I think he's not good enough because I've watched him be one-dimensional for an average Scotland team, and seen that he's currently part of a mediocre Worcester team after not making the cut at Bath.

But maybe Worcester are peers and rivals now?
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

I'm a big fan of Denton and IMO opinion he is exactly what we need. Great signing.

I think we all need to realise that we can't compete with the likes of Wasps for marquee signings. Get over it. At least Leicester Tigers still play their home games in Leicester, whereas that team formerly know as London Wasps...

I'll take that over Brad Shields any day.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Tiglon wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:18 pm I'm a big fan of Denton and IMO opinion he is exactly what we need. Great signing.

I think we all need to realise that we can't compete with the likes of Wasps for marquee signings. Get over it. At least Leicester Tigers still play their home games in Leicester, whereas that team formerly know as London Wasps...

I'll take that over Brad Shields any day.
Brad Shields is the Kiwi Chris Robshaw in my opinion, not the type of player we or Wasps need
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

The only reason Brad Shields doesn't have a lot of All Black caps is those in front of him, Jordan Taufua hasn't got any either, Luke Whitelock a couple. I would take them & more over Denton, personally I rate Tino higher, he just needs coaching.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:43 pm The only reason Brad Shields doesn't have a lot of All Black caps is those in front of him, Jordan Taufua hasn't got any either, Luke Whitelock a couple. I would take them & more over Denton, personally I rate Tino higher, he just needs coaching.
Tino’s got one now, needs to improve his defensive technique and needs to carry in the tight more confidently
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

I agree there are other players in the world who are better than Denton. But taking into account the fact that there is a salary cap, and we already have our marquee players, I understand that it isn't possible for Tigers to recruit every single Kiwi and Saffer who fancies a holiday in Europe.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

JP14 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:38 pm
Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:43 pm The only reason Brad Shields doesn't have a lot of All Black caps is those in front of him, Jordan Taufua hasn't got any either, Luke Whitelock a couple. I would take them & more over Denton, personally I rate Tino higher, he just needs coaching.
Tino’s got one now, needs to improve his defensive technique and needs to carry in the tight more confidently
When I first saw him thought he would be an 8, but the more I see of him he can be a quality no.6 like Mafi or Croft. Already good in the lineout, just needs to work on his defence and carrying in the tight. In my mind offers more than Williams.
Tiger Cub

Post by 1979 »

Ludicrously down beat from a number of people and suggestions by at least one person that we can’t attract any decent players is just down right false.
There might not be anyone you consider to be a superstar signed this season but over the last 2-3 years some great players have come to Tigers.
Also, of topic but people always bemoaning Tigers not developing any decent players through academy we had 5-6 away with U20’s international duty so things are looking great for the future! 😀
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

WildGoose wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:26 pm
PaulinBroughton wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:06 am Great isn't it, the guys only just signed and according to some he's not good enough.
It's not like he's been playing in Japan for 6 years and no-one has seen him play though is it? I think he's not good enough because I've watched him be one-dimensional for an average Scotland team, and seen that he's currently part of a mediocre Worcester team after not making the cut at Bath.

But maybe Worcester are peers and rivals now?
So who would you sign if were in charge?
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

He's a current international.

Let's hope he performs better than our recent Scottish ex-international for us.