Tigers v Quins

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

BFG
Super User
Super User

Tigers v Quins

Post by BFG »

Beware Smith has a habit of falling/leaning into the tackler in my opinion, Eastmond red carded!
15 v 15 Wasps tearing Quins apart!
I'd go for O'Connor at 8 with Evans at 7!
Start Simmonds?
Starting 10/12/13?
JP14
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers v Quins

Post by JP14 »

BFG wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:48 pm Beware Smith has a habit of falling into the tackler in my opinion, Eastmond red carded!
15 v 15 Wasps tearing Quins apart!
I'd go for O'Connor at 8 with Evans at 7!
Start Simmonds?
Starting 10/12/13?
I share your predicament but I would have O’Connor at 6, Evans at 7 instead of O’Connor at 8.

however this would be my squad:
1 Bateman
2 TPN
3 Mulipola
4 Wells
5 Kitchener
6 Hamilton
7 O’Connor
8 Kalamafoni
9 Simmons
10 Toomua
11 Holmes
12 Owen
13 Tuilagi
14 Thompstone
15 Veainu
16 Kerr
17 Gigena
18 Cilliers
19 Barrow
20 Mapapalangi
21 Shazam
22 J.Ford
23 Tait
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

Didn't Malouf get a lot of attention before being led off yesterday? Didn't look fully there when walking off either. Wouldn't be surprised if he's out next week, Holmes and Thompstone on wings for me.

I'd go with BFG on the 7/8 combo too, Mapapalangi at 6 from the start with Hamilton on the bench. Kalamafoni works hard but doesn't actually achieve anywhere near as much as I had expected him to - granted a lot of that is down to overall pack performance and having to play behind the gain line so often.

Has Kalamafoni actually scored a try for us? I don't think so, and that's not what I'd expect from a No8 in the premiership, balance that against the number of times we've been in opposition 5m and come away with nothing. Not all down to Sione but his position has to take some of the flak for that stat, 8s at other clubs will get over the line, often made possible by team mates of course, but sometimes through their own skill/power. It just doesn't happen with him....ability? coaching? confidence? who knows.

If Kalamafoni gets a starting shirt then it should be at 6 IMO, BO'C makes yards, maybe Kalamafoni can benefit from someone else breaking the line and setting him free - but that could/should also happen as the 8...but it isn't / hasn't much.

I'd also be surprised if we see Dom Barrow next week, just get that feeling. Happy to be wrong as I think he's a valuable player for us - others don't agree.

I don't think J Ford should be bench warming either, give the slot to George Worth - multiple position cover that way, or Hardwick AND Worth and give J Ford and Tait a rest - I like Tait but again, it just hasn't been working.
Last edited by WhitecapTiger on Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
ghdav27

Post by ghdav27 »

WhitecapTiger wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:23 pm Didn't Malouf get a lot of attention before being led off yesterday? Didn't look fully there when walking off either. Wouldn't be surprised if he's out next week, Holmes and Thompstone on wings for me.

I'd go with BFG on the 7/8 combo too, Mapapalangi at 6 from the start with Hamilton on the bench. Kalamafoni works hard but doesn't actually achieve anywhere near as much as I had expected him too - granted a lot of that is down to overall pack performance and having to play behind the gain line so often.

Has Kalamafoni actually scored a try for us? I don't think so, and that's not what I'd expect from a No8 in the premiership, balance that against the number of times we've been in opposition 5m and come away with nothing. Not all down to Sione but his position has to take some of the flak for that stat, 8s at other clubs will get over the line, often made possible by team mates of course, but sometimes through their own skill/power. It just doesn't happen with him....ability? coaching? confidence? who knows.

If Kalamafoni gets a starting shirt then it should be at 6 IMO, BO'C makes yards, maybe Kalamafoni can benefit from someone else breaking the line and setting him free - but that could/should also happen as the 8...but it isn't / hasn't much.

I'd also be surprised if we see Dom Barrow next week, just get that feeling. Happy to be wrong as I think he's a valuable player for us - others don't agree.

I don't think J Ford should be bench warming either, give the slot to George Worth - multiple position cover that way, or Hardwick AND Worth and give J Ford and Tait a rest - I like Tait but again, it just hasn't been working.
Yeah he was down and totally immobile for 5-10 minutes and they brought out the stretcher and all the associated associated paraphernalia.

I agree with both Evans and O'Connor (who I thought was our best player yesterday) starting probably at 6/7 but I think it's highly unlikely to happen.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Absolute :censoredshow from Quins versus Wasps, their board is almost as deluded as ours to keep John Kingston
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

I've only seen the highlights of the Glos match which can be misleading but Tigers missed 36 tackles, Youngs and Williams with 6 missed tackles each being the worst culprits. Whilst Kalamafoni has struggled like most of the Tigers forwards going forwards he was top of the tackle stats with 19 tackles against Glos. I do think Kalimafoni is better suited to playing 6 but not sure there is anyone in the Tigers squad who is a natural 8.
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

drc_007 wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:52 pmWhilst Kalamafoni has struggled like most of the Tigers forwards going forwards he was top of the tackle stats with 19 tackles against Glos. I do think Kalimafoni is better suited to playing 6 but not sure there is anyone in the Tigers squad who is a natural 8.
Fair play on Kalamafoni's defence, I mentioned he works hard and should have credited him for this aspect.

Maybe no 'natural' 8 but BO'C has played at 8 in NZ, captained from there too, so I'd give him a go until either confidence returns or a bulldozer 8 arrives.
Spicer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Spicer »

1 Bateman
2 Youngs
3 Mulipola
4 Wells
5 Kitchener
6 Kalamafoni
7 Evans
8 O'Connor
9 Harrison
10 Toomua
11 Holmes
12 Owen
13 Tuilagi
14 Thompstone
15 Veainu

16 TPN
17 Gigena
18 Cilliers
19 Barrow
20 Mapapalangi
21 Simmons
22 Worth
23 Tait
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

JP14 wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:49 pmAbsolute :censoredshow from Quins versus Wasps, their board is almost as deluded as ours to keep John Kingston
Could be a Billy Smart's show at WR next week!! :smt005
LestaTiger

Post by LestaTiger »

The team I would like to see next week, depending on injuries and Eng U20 players would be...

15 Veainu
14 Holmes
13 Malouf or Tuilagi (depending on injury)
12 Toomua
11 Thompstone
10 Hardwick
9 Simmons

1 Gigena
2 Youngs (c)
3 Mulipola
4 Barrow
5 Williams
6 Evans
7 O’Connor
8 Mapapalagi

Replacements
16 Tatafu Polota-Nau
17 Bateman
18 Betts
19 Fitzgerald
20 Kalamafoni
21 White
22 Ford
22 Tuilagi or Owen
23 Olowofela
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

LestaTiger wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:29 pm The team I would like to see next week, depending on injuries and Eng U20 players would be...

15 Veainu
14 Holmes
13 Malouf or Tuilagi (depending on injury)
12 Toomua
11 Thompstone
10 Hardwick
9 Simmons

1 Gigena
2 Youngs (c)
3 Mulipola
4 Barrow
5 Williams
6 Evans
7 O’Connor
8 Mapapalagi

Replacements
16 Tatafu Polota-Nau
17 Bateman
18 Betts
19 Fitzgerald
20 Kalamafoni
21 White
22 Ford
22 Tuilagi or Owen
23 Olowofela
Wait do the U20s have a rest weekend as well?
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Quins' supporters on twitter absolutely livid after the loss at home to 14 Pests and saying that they've fallen far behind everyone else in the League.

I hope they're right! :smt009
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

When is Genge due back?
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

drc_007 wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:42 pm When is Genge due back?
Home game vs Wasps, so the 25th
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

JP14 wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:46 pm
drc_007 wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:42 pm When is Genge due back?
Home game vs Wasps, so the 25th
Cheers