Tigers v Quins

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Roly
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers v Quins

Post by Roly »

kend wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:55 pm Manu is still one of the players that can misshape a defence - working him out is one thing, stopping him quite another!
Can't argue with that.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
Latecomer

Post by Latecomer »

It was interesting that Matt O'Connor referred to small margins being the difference in games at the moment and referenced the Mulipola sin-binning at Glaws. Tom Youngs was also adamant that they could and would win against Quins and even that the playoffs were still a possibility (but I'm not sure I agree with this - seven wins out of the remaining eight League games including Sarries away?)
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

Roly wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:59 am Unfortunately, Manu's impact on a game was even more short lived than his health. Much like Jamie Roberts for Wales, defences quickly worked him out and covered him off. His mythical status was largely borne from a handful of decent performances and subsequent media hyperbole. Its a sad fact that while the Tuilagi clan might be human wrecking balls, they simply do not have wherewithal to exploit it when defences work them out. I can't think of an exception.

The 'fans' and to a certain extent, the club have been in hock to this expectation for far too long. Its time to wish him well and hope that he may one day return to something like his pomp. I just don't think that it should be with Leicester.
I guess Nonu would be the one example of a wrecking ball actually developing their game considerably - don't get me wrong, his game was always centred around power but he developed other parts of it over the years. It would require Manu staying injury free though...
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Cardiff Tig wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:28 pm
Roly wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:59 am Unfortunately, Manu's impact on a game was even more short lived than his health. Much like Jamie Roberts for Wales, defences quickly worked him out and covered him off. His mythical status was largely borne from a handful of decent performances and subsequent media hyperbole. Its a sad fact that while the Tuilagi clan might be human wrecking balls, they simply do not have wherewithal to exploit it when defences work them out. I can't think of an exception.

The 'fans' and to a certain extent, the club have been in hock to this expectation for far too long. Its time to wish him well and hope that he may one day return to something like his pomp. I just don't think that it should be with Leicester.
I guess Nonu would be the one example of a wrecking ball actually developing their game considerably - don't get me wrong, his game was always centred around power but he developed other parts of it over the years. It would require Manu staying injury free though...
Nonu was the worst tackler ever and it was always high as well, Alesana could tackle more legal than him and that’s saying something
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
DeadlyDunc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DeadlyDunc »

Yeah Nonu was rubbish, Manu was rubbish apart from his first dozen or so games, Denton is rubbish, Spencer is overrated, Farrell isn’t world class, Burns is better than Ford, Ben Young’s hasn’t played well for Tigers since Waldrom was playing for us, all of our current players are rubbish, all of the players that we are linked with are amazing but those we sign are rubbish even if they were good when they were linked in the first place, our coaches are rubbish, CEO is useless, the Board are worse (or not), we need a forwards coach but not the one we are getting, we’ve got a powder puff pack but when we bring is more powerful ball carriers we’ll be even worse but they need proper coaching by a forwards coach.

That about sums it up I think.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

DeadlyDunc wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:23 pm Yeah Nonu was rubbish, Manu was rubbish apart from his first dozen or so games, Denton is rubbish, Spencer is overrated, Farrell isn’t world class, Burns is better than Ford, Ben Young’s hasn’t played well for Tigers since Waldrom was playing for us, all of our current players are rubbish, all of the players that we are linked with are amazing but those we sign are rubbish even if they were good when they were linked in the first place, our coaches are rubbish, CEO is useless, the Board are worse (or not), we need a forwards coach but not the one we are getting, we’ve got a powder puff pack but when we bring is more powerful ball carriers we’ll be even worse but they need proper coaching by a forwards coach.

You forgot the catering...
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

I blame the Romans.
I'm not cynical just experienced
Grimlish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Grimlish »

DeadlyDunc wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:23 pm Yeah Nonu was rubbish, Manu was rubbish apart from his first dozen or so games, Denton is rubbish, Spencer is overrated, Farrell isn’t world class, Burns is better than Ford, Ben Young’s hasn’t played well for Tigers since Waldrom was playing for us, all of our current players are rubbish, all of the players that we are linked with are amazing but those we sign are rubbish even if they were good when they were linked in the first place, our coaches are rubbish, CEO is useless, the Board are worse (or not), we need a forwards coach but not the one we are getting, we’ve got a powder puff pack but when we bring is more powerful ball carriers we’ll be even worse but they need proper coaching by a forwards coach.

+1
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

And there was me thinking we were in 8th place and doing considerably worse than last season,finished bottom of our Euro group winning only one game instead of two last season,only got one TBP with a superstar back line,lost the two b2b European games for the first time ever,went on our worse run for over 50 years and are gonna miss out on 4th for the first time in God knows how long. Silly me ;)
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

Glass more than half-full then :smt043
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Nonu rubbish....in a club shirt maybe, not in a Black one.
He & Umaga should of been Manu's template, started on Wing finished at 12.
They both had the fortune to play with Conrad Smith though. If only Manu had had more game time with Mauger.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Grimlish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Grimlish »

Rugbyflanker wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:50 pm And there was me thinking we were in 8th place and doing considerably worse than last season,finished bottom of our Euro group winning only one game instead of two last season,only got one TBP with a superstar back line,lost the two b2b European games for the first time ever,went on our worse run for over 50 years and are gonna miss out on 4th for the first time in God knows how long. Silly me ;)
It’s one thing ng to say the obvious that things aren’t right. It’s another to use truly bizarre logic to address how things should change. It’s the latter point which Deadly was making. To confuse the two is itself a part of the problem imo.
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

Get rid of MOC and truthfully scour the world for a top coach this time instead of lying about it. Fixed!
Coops
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Coops »

All your opinion of course :smt003

Get your CV drafted then and send it into the club - looks like you should be Head Coach, CEO and Forwards Coach as a minimum for starters.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:53 pm Nonu rubbish....in a club shirt maybe, not in a Black one.
He & Umaga should of been Manu's template, started on Wing finished at 12.
They both had the fortune to play with Conrad Smith though. If only Manu had had more game time with Mauger.
Both appeared to have far more pace than Manu, was that what made them so good?