Tigers v Quins

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Tigers v Quins

Post by chewbacca »

Re players attitude don't you think that the coach has or should have an influence on this. One might even say that players attitude can be attributable to "the environment" to use a much used phrase.
I'm not cynical just experienced
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

The players' attitude must surely be one the most important things that a coach's responsibilities are, so if there are problems then the Chief Exec must sort them out - pronto!
Semper in excretia
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Exactly if you’re not happy with the coaches that surely affects ones attitude, and the fact that O’Connor keeps picking Williams despite bad form could suggest that he is trying to win the Zimbabwean’s favour
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
POSTIGER
Super User
Super User

Post by POSTIGER »

tripeandonions wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:10 pm If going by form, Tuilagi should not be selected but as has sadly been the case for the past three seasons in a more general sense, there seems little option but to stick with him in the diminishing and probably deluded hope that he will become a player worthy of the term "Marquee" and his salary. Similarly his mate Mulipola, albeit to a lesser extent.
Will Dom Barrow be back? Seldom have Tigers needed a snarling, nasty axeman as much as now.
I agree re Manu. It's a real shame to see him as he is now. The thing with Manu is that he was never the greatest rugby player technically but was a freak of nature physically. He had a strength and pace that were without parallel in his position. I've never seen a centre dominate physically like Manu could. Therein lies the problem, his injuries have significantly de-powered him and sadly what we're left with is a guy who doesn't perhaps have the rugby brain to be a top performer without that ridiculous power.

I genuinely hope the guy can get back to what and where he was. An absolutely brilliant player to watch when in full-on destroy mode. It's painful watching him fumble his way through games at the moment.
I saw Marika Vunibaka play
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Roly wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:00 am
ellis9 wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:55 am
wellstiger wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:47 am Well I believe the Hairyqueens were their own worst enemy against the Pests. Can't always run from your own 10 meter line.
They played the same game as Pests and and lost.
Will be different against Tigers.
We will pick a team reliant on filling shirts rather than playing to our strengths.Queens will run at shoulders between guards and recycle faster ball than we are thinking at present.
We are predictable in attack and teams don't have to overstretch in defence.
Hope I'm wrong and we can play to our potential. If they wish to run from their 5 meter line we need to kick for field position more effectively than we have all season.
Kick for field position? No, we can't do that. All we will hear from people around the ground is "Stop kicking the ball away" alongside "God, this is boring".
I can only imagine that you've chosen to paraphrase what you perceive to be the thoughts of others to suit your own agenda.

I strongly suspect that people watching don't generally mind Tigers kicking for field position providing that a safe and productive touch is found, that is actually part of the game and done well, is an effective way of keeping pressure on an opposition.

When you say 'kicking the ball away', what you actually mean is loose tactical kicking that isn't safe, or productive and goes down the throat of the opposition full-back, thus inviting counter attack.

Kicking for field position and kicking the ball away are subtly different but it is important to distinguish between them.

Tactical kicking tennis can be tedious to watch, and can be frustrating to watch. Doesn't happen very often though.
You really don't need to explain this to me whatsoever. It's those people I'm on about that need it explaining.
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

POSTIGER wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:39 pm
tripeandonions wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:10 pm If going by form, Tuilagi should not be selected but as has sadly been the case for the past three seasons in a more general sense, there seems little option but to stick with him in the diminishing and probably deluded hope that he will become a player worthy of the term "Marquee" and his salary. Similarly his mate Mulipola, albeit to a lesser extent.
Will Dom Barrow be back? Seldom have Tigers needed a snarling, nasty axeman as much as now.
I agree re Manu. It's a real shame to see him as he is now. The thing with Manu is that he was never the greatest rugby player technically but was a freak of nature physically. He had a strength and pace that were without parallel in his position. I've never seen a centre dominate physically like Manu could. Therein lies the problem, his injuries have significantly de-powered him and sadly what we're left with is a guy who doesn't perhaps have the rugby brain to be a top performer without that ridiculous power.

I genuinely hope the guy can get back to what and where he was. An absolutely brilliant player to watch when in full-on destroy mode. It's painful watching him fumble his way through games at the moment.
Unfortunately, Manu's impact on a game was even more short lived than his health. Much like Jamie Roberts for Wales, defences quickly worked him out and covered him off. His mythical status was largely borne from a handful of decent performances and subsequent media hyperbole. Its a sad fact that while the Tuilagi clan might be human wrecking balls, they simply do not have wherewithal to exploit it when defences work them out. I can't think of an exception.

The 'fans' and to a certain extent, the club have been in hock to this expectation for far too long. Its time to wish him well and hope that he may one day return to something like his pomp. I just don't think that it should be with Leicester.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Got to believe we can win this at Welford Road but clearly you can have no confidence in the outcome.

I still believe in Manu.
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

ourla wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:08 am
I still believe in Manu.
My Nephew still believes in Father Christmas. Mind you, he is on 'The Spectrum'.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

Ben Teo has a few months out injured and comes straight back into the England team looking lean, sharp and fit.

Manu returns to the Tigers team looking over weight, not sharp and not match fit.

What does that tell us about the Worcester/Tigers fitness coaches and the players' attitude to diet? Even EJ commented that Manu was far too heavy.

Just saying - I appreciate Manu has been out for a lot longer than Teo, but the difference is staggering.
Soggypitch
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Soggypitch wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:16 pm Ben Teo has a few months out injured and comes straight back into the England team looking lean, sharp and fit.

Manu returns to the Tigers team looking over weight, not sharp and not match fit.

What does that tell us about the Worcester/Tigers fitness coaches and the players' attitude to diet? Even EJ commented that Manu was far too heavy.

Just saying - I appreciate Manu has been out for a lot longer than Teo, but the difference is staggering.
It does rather contrast with Ben Youngs statement that he intends to use his enforced lay-off to work on his body to ensure he comes back stronger and fitter than ever before.
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Soggypitch wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:16 pm Ben Teo has a few months out injured and comes straight back into the England team looking lean, sharp and fit.

There is a hell of a difference between Manu's time out and T'eo.
You can only get match fit by playing matches. Te'o was in the lions tour in the summer he would have been in his prime. Manu hasn't played more than 4 games in a row for like 3 years now.

You can't compare the two injury wise.
jamie1880

Post by jamie1880 »

Can't compare them. Te'o had a much shorter injury period, he was a Lion in the summer! Plus he went to Australia and paid for his own rehab, I presume the best around, so nothing to do with fitness coaches.

Manu hasn't had a run of games to find form- I think you're forgetting the length he's been out for. We have to keep faith in him
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Te'o paid for his own rehab because Wuss couldn't be bothered.
http://tinyurl.com/y99s9df4
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

jamie1880 wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:47 pm

Manu hasn't had a run of games to find form- I think you're forgetting the length he's been out for. We have to keep faith in him
Why?

Because he's going to come back, stay fit and change the fortunes of the team?

I don't think so, he's been an albatross round the club's neck for two years now and as for his return this season, there are more effective Jamaican Defence Force Units. The club could have two international class centres for what they pay him.
kend
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by kend »

I'm not sure you can make a proper judgement on Manu yet. It's too soon and the way the team are playing mean he's receiving rubbish ball to work with - either miles behind the gain line or the passes are under pressure. Toomua is a class 12, but even he can only do so much if he gets the ball and two defenders. Manu is still one of the players that can misshape a defence - working him out is one thing, stopping him quite another!

Big old game on Saturday - quite possibly the season for both sides. Generally Tigers v Quins is one of the home games I can guarantee to make, but a family event keeps me away :smt011. Hopefully the 6 nations rest day will mean a decent crowd and plenty of support. The team will need it IMHO. The pressure on Joe Ford is immense. He's had a bit of a raw deal IMHO, hardly any match time and then has to step in to a team struggling to produce any kind of decent ball. Must win game as well. No pressure at all really....