Re: Wasps breach salary cap

Post by ellis9 »

Which pre-Christmas predictions?
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

ellis9 wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:32 pm Which pre-Christmas predictions?
Top 2 and Top of Champions Cup Pool
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

JP14 wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:48 pm
ellis9 wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:32 pm Which pre-Christmas predictions?
Top 2 and Top of Champions Cup Pool
Which he appears to have forgotten already.....

And the difference between potential, and reality.

In his defence, they weren't really predictions, just hope - founded on what is evidently a deep rooted gap in knowledge.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

I hadn't forgotten. I was just checking which ones you were on about.

I believe my Champions Cup prediction was made before the tournament had started. We then picked up 1 point against Racing away and got 5 points at home against Castres. We started exactly how I had predicted.

Clearly I was wrong. I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

ellis9 wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:41 am I hadn't forgotten. I was just checking which ones you were on about.

I believe my Champions Cup prediction was made before the tournament had started. We then picked up 1 point against Racing away and got 5 points at home against Castres. We started exactly how I had predicted.

Clearly I was wrong. I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Your predictions were made in December, after some dismal results, and well you know it.

However, it doesn't matter - it did however, reinforce what we knew already, about a few things.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

Roly wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:40 pmHowever, it doesn't matter - it did however, reinforce what we knew already, about a few things.
Ambition and positivity? Something that the forces, that you are so keen to allude to, hold in high regard.
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

h's dad wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:17 pm
Roly wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:40 pmHowever, it doesn't matter - it did however, reinforce what we knew already, about a few things.
Ambition and positivity?
No, nothing to do with that, and as usual, the point has been missed.

And as usual, my hopes weren't high.
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

Roly wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:31 pm
h's dad wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:17 pm
Ambition and positivity?
No, nothing to do with that, and as usual, the point has been missed.

And as usual, my hopes weren't high.
I refer you to my previous response to this repetitive rejoinder.
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

So that could be the reason why quite a few of their stars are jumping ship. :smt006
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Noddy555 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:25 am So that could be the reason why quite a few of their stars are jumping ship. :smt006
Wasps have already signed Lima Sopoaga and Brad Shields from super rugby, and have the emerging Jack Willis and Jacob Umaga!
They also have some lesser known on the backrow and centres who will emerge in my opinion.
Importantly though they have a style of play and the recruitment appears to not only fit that but will potentially take it to the next level!
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

Correct BFG and you can tell by watching their AWC team against us that their superb coaching runs from top to bottom,in the same game you can see our "coaching" does too!
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

In the Anglo Welsh game against us Wasps had an older more experienced team than we did. The previous week they got stuffed by London Irish. I don't knock Wasps coaching or their players but it is a fact that in last season's semi-final we were within 70 seconds of winning and might have prevented their last try had Freddie Burns not gone down injured at a crucial time. In this season's Premiership game we again lost in the closing stages after we were denied a bonus point try by a possibly illegal steal of the ball by a man lying on the ground. I do not dispute that Wasps were the better team in both matches but by a small margin and would also point out that recent years in terms of trophies they have won less than we have, and since moving to Coventry have won nothing.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

johnthegriff wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:01 pm In the Anglo Welsh game against us Wasps had an older more experienced team than we did. The previous week they got stuffed by London Irish. I don't knock Wasps coaching or their players but it is a fact that in last season's semi-final we were within 70 seconds of winning and might have prevented their last try had Freddie Burns not gone down injured at a crucial time. In this season's Premiership game we again lost in the closing stages after we were denied a bonus point try by a possibly illegal steal of the ball by a man lying on the ground. I do not dispute that Wasps were the better team in both matches but by a small margin and would also point out that recent years in terms of trophies they have won less than we have, and since moving to Coventry have won nothing.
But they've got some big names from the other side of the world, and if we're honest, some fans would rather have "Le Roux" on the back of their replica shirt than support a team that wins trophies.

While Wasps are clearly a lot closer to winning anything meaningful than Tigers are, I get the feeling that with their strategy of short term signings of superstars from overseas, and consequently a squad that changes heavily every year, they will never quite be able to compete when it matters against clubs who build a strong, consistent culture like Exeter and Saracens. They are fun to watch though.