Fans forum 13th Feb

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Re: Fans forum 13th Feb

Post by Cagey Tiger »

Why are some people anti-lifting? Apart from it being something that wasn't allowed in "the past"? When it wasn't allowed, the shorter forwards would generally be doing their best to do something illegal without being spotted. Unfortunately, it usually gave the refs an excuse to penalise whichever team they wanted.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Cagey Tiger wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:03 pm Why are some people anti-lifting? Apart from it being something that wasn't allowed in "the past"? When it wasn't allowed, the shorter forwards would generally be doing their best to do something illegal without being spotted. Unfortunately, it usually gave the refs an excuse to penalise whichever team they wanted.
I can only speak for myself but my priority is that of safety...

Ban lifting and 'jumpers' will need to become leaner in order to out-jump their opponents. Without the need to lift 20st off the ground, props will be able to reduce bulk - which they'll want to do if the ridiculous substitution laws are changed so that players have to last 80 minutes (barring injury).

All other things being equal, lighter players will result in fewer serious collision injuries.
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Rugbyflanker wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:35 pm Thompson is quicker than Williams no doubt. MOC go to BR is Williams,Kam,BOC and IMO Denton,Thompson,BOC is a significant upgrade on that,quicker,better balance,better on the carry, but that depends on how they're coached and if he even picks that BR!
Just watched Wasps V Chiefs and you are correct Rugbyflanker, even after his injury lay off and age Thompson is still quicker than Williams!
What will be interesting is who will play where, given that MOC reckons that the open side is no longer as important and Evans can hardly get a game now, and Thompson is an open side!
Wasps played three open sides on the backrow, Willis, Young and Thompson, their set piece wasn't great and around the park they were very good, but their 10 takes the ball to the line and they play with pace and depth, something that has been missing all round from Leicester until Toomua stepped in at 10 and took it to the line yesterday!
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

I'd play 6.Denton,7.BOC,8.Thompson. Great balance and all bases covered. It shouldnt really matter about numbers on their back these days,its about balance IMO.
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

strawclearer wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:32 pm
Cagey Tiger wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:03 pm Why are some people anti-lifting? Apart from it being something that wasn't allowed in "the past"? When it wasn't allowed, the shorter forwards would generally be doing their best to do something illegal without being spotted. Unfortunately, it usually gave the refs an excuse to penalise whichever team they wanted.

Ban lifting and 'jumpers' will need to become leaner in order to out-jump their opponents. Without the need to lift 20st off the ground, props will be able to reduce bulk - which they'll want to do if the ridiculous substitution laws are changed so that players have to last 80 minutes (barring injury).

All other things being equal, lighter players will result in fewer serious collision injuries.
Agreed with the last sentence. However, unless/until substitution laws are changed, the front five will always be a place for bulk, not just in the scrum, but at the breakdown (and in the loose if your name is Vunipola :smt003). I doubt that stopping lifting on its own would change the size of the front five much.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Cagey Tiger wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:21 pm
strawclearer wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:32 pm

Agreed with the last sentence. However, unless/until substitution laws are changed, the front five will always be a place for bulk, not just in the scrum, but at the breakdown (and in the loose if your name is Vunipola :smt003). I doubt that stopping lifting on its own would change the size of the front five much.
Changing the substitution laws would bring a reduction in injuries and an increase in spectator enjoyment. The emphasis would shift from 'bulk' to stamina but, in spite of this, forwards would begin to tire around the 60 minute mark. Fewer of the front 5 would find themselves spreading across the pitch in defence; more gaps would open up; more tries would be scored by the running backs who prefer going round rather than through their opposite number!

In addition, front rows who know they have to do 'the full 80' will be under peer pressure not to beggar about at scrum time. Reset scrums will be frowned upon by fellow props as well as the crowd!
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

How do you plan to stop fake injuries?
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

ourla wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:54 pm How do you plan to stop fake injuries?
Well - I'd ban French medics for a start.......
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

strawclearer wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:58 pm
Love it.
I'm not cynical just experienced
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

chewbacca wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:33 pm
strawclearer wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:58 pm
Love it.
You would have to ban Nigel Owen first. :smt002