Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Re: Fans forum 13th Feb

Post by strawclearer »

RagingBull wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:55 pm
Rugbyflanker wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:33 pm Hope we don't lose Evans! He would be a superstar already if he was at Chiefs,Sarries or possibly Bath
Doubt it.

He wouldn’t be starting for them either.
Hoping that he and Brendan O'Connor will cover 7 between them - it's in their long-term interests to rotate as well as the Club's.
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

tripeandonions wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:56 pm The salary cap for playing staff is frequently referred to by Cohen etal to explain recruitment and retention decision making but also to refute suggestions that "off field" developments have an impact on the playing budget. All seems perfectly straightforward and reasonable to me.
But how is the budget for coaching staff determined? What, if any, are the constraints in that area and what kind of factors could be influential? I also wonder if there are any comparative statistics available to show the annual coaching expenditure of respective individual Premiership clubs?
https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/docu ... 75WV1AU%3D

Not broken down as much as you would like but they are not obliged to do so and would consider it commercially sensitive. Presumably a similar level of info can also be publicly obtained for the other PL clubs.
Last edited by h's dad on Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

But we don't need an out and out 7 according to MOC!
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

I'm in agreement with MOC about contact being increasingly the most important aspect of the modern game. The only reason we need a 7 so much is that our forwards are :censored: in contact. Turnovers come more from the defence winning the contact that they do from a superhuman jackal of a 7 clamping himself over the ball when on the back foot.

Generally, the team that dominates the point of contact will win the game.

We've signed a well respected forwards coach, and 3 forwards who excel in contact for next season. For me, things look more positive.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Which is why the game has turned sour - dominating the point of contact was always crucial, with driving out over the ball and sweeping up. Once diddling around with hands arrived then the ripper became someone stood over the ball with their head inviting a shoulder, and lax application of the Laws began to allow diving, in at the side and sealing off with those on the floor no longer out of the game and often blatantly obstructing offside (all thanks to the 'innovations' from the SH). Now the domination involves huge people hurling themselves with little skill at the opposition, and the main use of the jackal is to suck in such players, slow down release (because offence gets all the breaks, just to compensate for offside defences) and occasionally effect a turnover - quite often in the case of BOC!
A sour view - yep and not alone http://tinyurl.com/y9bx85x6
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Tiglon wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:31 pm I'm in agreement with MOC about contact being increasingly the most important aspect of the modern game. The only reason we need a 7 so much is that our forwards are :censored: in contact. Turnovers come more from the defence winning the contact that they do from a superhuman jackal of a 7 clamping himself over the ball when on the back foot.

We've signed a well respected forwards coach, and 3 forwards who excel in contact for next season. For me, things look more positive.
Completely disagree!
Leicester struggle to beat the tackle, lack of pace, running into bodies on the gain line rather than forcing arm tackles to turn the defence and get over the gain line!
Two backrows signed who have had injuries recently, are later in years and arguably slowed down a bit.
They are very good players but it's potentially much of the same for me, Denton and Hamilton are like for like, as is Thompson and Williams, but we shall see!
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

Denton and Hamilton alike? Slightly,Hamilton is better at the BD and gets through more work but Denton is a very good ball carrier,although he's another one who goes missing and struggles with consistency. But Thompson,and I have to check you mean Mike,Williams are alike? No likeness at all IMO.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Rugbyflanker wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:10 pm Denton and Hamilton alike? Slightly,Hamilton is better at the BD and gets through more work but Denton is a very good ball carrier,although he's another one who goes missing and struggles with consistency. But Thompson,and I have to check you mean Mike,Williams are alike? No likeness at all IMO.
In terms of pace they are very similar!
They are very good players but I have doubts that they are the right players!
Genge and O'Connor apart I don't see enough pace in Leicester's pack!
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

Thompson is quicker than Williams no doubt. MOC go to BR is Williams,Kam,BOC and IMO Denton,Thompson,BOC is a significant upgrade on that,quicker,better balance,better on the carry, but that depends on how they're coached and if he even picks that BR!
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Rugbyflanker wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:35 pm Thompson is quicker than Williams no doubt. MOC go to BR is Williams,Kam,BOC and IMO Denton,Thompson,BOC is a significant upgrade on that,quicker,better balance,better on the carry, but that depends on how they're coached and if he even picks that BR!
I'd agree three years ago, not sure now though, but we shall soon see!
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

As we seem to be spending a lot of time and money on the back row - who do people THINK will be on the way out - note THINK not HOPE

For me - I think Hamilton, Baumann, McGuigan, Cilliers are fairly certain to leave. Thaker and Croft have gone. Do we need to keep Mapapalangi or Ryan - not sure we need both.
Hehehehehehehehe
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I agree with you except I’d swap Ryan for Hamilton and add Fitzgerald
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Stephen18
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Stephen18 »

trendylfj wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:17 pm As we seem to be spending a lot of time and money on the back row - who do people THINK will be on the way out - note THINK not HOPE

For me - I think Hamilton, Baumann, McGuigan, Cilliers are fairly certain to leave. Thaker and Croft have gone. Do we need to keep Mapapalangi or Ryan - not sure we need both.
Id rather keep hamilton than both fitzgerld and williams, unless williams is willing to move into the row. I also hope they keep mapapalangi over ryan i think with some coaching he has the possibility to be like mafi and croft a real dynamic threat. I also wonder how long we can keep hold of evans i know everyone keeps talking about his time will come, whilst at other clubs a wealth of other young 19-20 years are playing plenty of 1st team prem rugby at sarries, bath, sale, wasps, exeter and hes getting left behind.
I think you can add traynor , logo if toulon talk is to be believed, brady, tait, catchpole?. Hopefully j ford? Holmes? If someone offers him 1st team rugby hes good enough. Barrow if rumours are to be believed!
If even half of these are true we need to be doing some serious recruitment yet.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

jgriffin wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:41 pm Which is why the game has turned sour - dominating the point of contact was always crucial, with driving out over the ball and sweeping up. Once diddling around with hands arrived then the ripper became someone stood over the ball with their head inviting a shoulder, and lax application of the Laws began to allow diving, in at the side and sealing off with those on the floor no longer out of the game and often blatantly obstructing offside (all thanks to the 'innovations' from the SH). Now the domination involves huge people hurling themselves with little skill at the opposition, and the main use of the jackal is to suck in such players, slow down release (because offence gets all the breaks, just to compensate for offside defences) and occasionally effect a turnover - quite often in the case of BOC!
A sour view - yep and not alone http://tinyurl.com/y9bx85x6
That's a pretty accurate summation!
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

BFG wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:00 pm
Tiglon wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:31 pm I'm in agreement with MOC about contact being increasingly the most important aspect of the modern game. The only reason we need a 7 so much is that our forwards are :censored: in contact. Turnovers come more from the defence winning the contact that they do from a superhuman jackal of a 7 clamping himself over the ball when on the back foot.

Completely disagree!
Leicester struggle to beat the tackle, lack of pace, running into bodies on the gain line rather than forcing arm tackles to turn the defence and get over the gain line!
Two backrows signed who have had injuries recently, are later in years and arguably slowed down a bit.
They are very good players but it's potentially much of the same for me, Denton and Hamilton are like for like, as is Thompson and Williams, but we shall see!
I'm slightly confused as to what exactly your point is. If you're saying that we just need quicker forwards, I would enquire as to how quick Faletau, Picamoles and Billy V are.

It's not about being quick, it's about being explosive. Denton is that, Kalamafoni, Ryan, Hamilton are not.