Fans forum 13th Feb

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

PaulinBroughton
Tiger Cub

Re: Fans forum 13th Feb

Post by PaulinBroughton »

The squad will be smaller next year due to increased wages on the playing side. The salary cap is policed a little more strictly nowadays and loopholes which were in place to flaunt it have now been closed. Loopholes, which Simon said last night we also exploited as much as we could get away with. This in turn has made for a more even playing field.
We are currently paying the price for poor recruitment in the past couple of seasons and a conflict of interests between cockers and Mauge. Primarily due to large a squad with not enough quality. We can expect more Academy players to feature next season
Simon and Ged were also very open about the sale of Ed Slater to Gloucester and our signing of Johnny May which was done amicably with the agreement of both parties. When asked about Freddie leaving and George coming Ged Glynn refused, quite rightly to discuss any details of private conversations between himself and the players involved, only again that it was done amicably. It wasn't as someone suggested Horse Trading.
A question was also asked about Europe, one I was going to ask but someone beat me to it, If we do not make the Champions Cup how will it affect our revenue. The short answer is that if its only for one season it wouldn't pose to big a problem although it may affect gates it would still be sustainable.

For those who say MoC didn't seem interested, Did you take the time to go and talk to him? He was very open and honest about the situation.

The question of catering did not get brought up last night it was more about the team and recruitment.
Winter tiger

Post by Winter tiger »

"A question was also asked about Europe, one I was going to ask but someone beat me to it, If we do not make the Champions Cup how will it affect our revenue. The short answer is that if its only for one season it wouldn't pose to big a problem although it may affect gates it would still be sustainable".

Obviously a planned “withdrawal” for European competition for a year is OK then? Hope they factored in all the swathes of empty seats and unsold STs next year because that’s a given. The damage is well and truly done :smt013 and if you can’t see it yourself you are in a minority getting smaller by the day as this season unfolds Sir! :smt013
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Winter tiger wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:12 pm "A question was also asked about Europe, one I was going to ask but someone beat me to it, If we do not make the Champions Cup how will it affect our revenue. The short answer is that if its only for one season it wouldn't pose to big a problem although it may affect gates it would still be sustainable".

Obviously a planned “withdrawal” for European competition for a year is OK then? Hope they factored in all the swathes of empty seats and unsold STs next year because that’s a given. The damage is well and truly done :smt013 and if you can’t see it yourself you are in a minority getting smaller by the day as this season unfolds Sir! :smt013
Well if you had went to it, you would've heard Cohen saying after financially it would be alright as everything is locked in by then (sponsors and ST etc), but from a mentality POV it would be devastating basically and not something they entertain.
The trouble from a financial POV would be two years running.

Which he is right sooooo what's your point.
Winter tiger

Post by Winter tiger »

Please refer to my previous message in this thread, I am sure my point about the future of Leicester Tigers was clear enough
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Winter tiger wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:26 pm Please refer to my previous message in this thread, I am sure my point about the future of Leicester Tigers was clear enough
yeh but he was asked a question about the financial costs and he answered it.
1 year wouldn't hurt us money wise, but would be massive loss on the clubs mentality.
2 years and it would hurt the club financially.
So not sure what was wrong with that one.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Winter tiger wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:42 am I wasn’t at the forum last night but nothing I have heard from it gives me any hope for the future of our once great team! Obviously a display of platitudes and so called solidarity orchestrated by the grand master Cohen. Why can’t people see this and if they can’t, why can’t they see the disillusionment in the players faces on match days??

The dressing room is well and truly lost and quality signings will not want to come to Tigers with a CEO of such infamous reputation. I know Genge is sick of it and wants out now (and I bet he’s not alone) and I can’t blame him! Until the systemic grasp of Cohen is removed we are finished as a club, forget your staged fans forums/talking shops and get it done because the current lack of tangible positive action is frankly embarrassing our once great club
I am heartily sick of this 'get rid of Cohen' massive conspiracy theory, I know that some others on here have voiced their boredom with this meme. Why can't people see it? Because it isn't there?
The CEO is little to do with the playing side except to say what we can and cannot afford, and is at the behest of the BoD who i would blame directly for their failures/mistakes post 2012-13. At least 3 members of the BoD are deeply involved in Tigers performance and at least 1 is in direct contact with the players. If the CEO was a crucial issue in recruitment I am confident the BoD would be aware and donated the P45. It is far more likely that, as Oz and Goodey have pointed out, club loyalty is going out the window with the new wave of players and the only consideration is £££££ - we are at a disadvantage as a plc that despite having at least one billionaire on the BoD we are more likely to have the backhanders noticed and we stick to the cap limit (more than some others).
I am sorry if your info about Genge is true, as the club has previously stated it will pay £££££ to keep him and Cole as our props.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

No I’m sure he was responsible for the recruitment of Hansen, Mauger and O’Connor so therefore the cry for him to leave is just
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
kend
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by kend »

We are currently paying the price for poor recruitment in the past couple of seasons and a conflict of interests between cockers and Mauge. Primarily due to large a squad with not enough quality.
In every organisation I've been involved in, the 'displaced' executive gets the blame for everything from the state of the P&L to the fact that the grass has died on the corporate lawn.

It's reasonable to allow MoC the benefit of the doubt in terms of recruitment for his game plan, but it doesn't explain why this group of players are performing so far below their collective ability. He might not have the ideal circumstance for his ultimate strategy (a coach that does is lucky indeed), but that doesn't absolve him from thinking tactically to maximise the group he has.

We might have had some serious reverses last season, but it's worth recalling we did make the top four and got within a score of reaching the final.
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

kend wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:05 pm

We might have had some serious reverses last season, but it's worth recalling we did make the top four and got within a score of reaching the final.
Oh, so that's alright then.

I don't know what all the fuss is about.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Fact is Cohen also sits on the "playing" element of the board that additionally comprises of Ged Glynn, Rory Underwood and Ben Kay. So to say that he has no input to the playing side of the business other than to rubber stamp the cash is factually inaccurate.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Flash

Post by Flash »

sapajo wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:14 pm Fact is Cohen also sits on the "playing" element of the board that additionally comprises of Ged Glynn, Rory Underwood and Ben Kay. So to say that he has no input to the playing side of the business other than to rubber stamp the cash is factually inaccurate.
I would imagine his input would be based around money and contracts mostly.
kend
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by kend »

Roly wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:11 pm

I should have been more explicit - broadly the same group of players (presumably with the same limitations) reached the top 4 and got within a score of the final. I'm not saying that is sufficient (actually, up 'til this season you would say top four was a necessary condition for Tigers), just that you would expect a top coach to be able to engineer a performance from this group.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

These open forums are a big yawn, a bunch of people sitting around attempting to avoid reality, I'd rather watch a broadcast by the Liberal Democrats!
I'm not surprised MOC could've been misjudged as looking disinterested, Harry Houdini couldn't magic his way out of this without seven figures being made available!
So the squad will be smaller, a few tired bodies and injuries and the players that got hammered away by Wasps in the AWC and Saints 2nds in the A League will be running out, great idea, a trip to Jersey will be nice in 2020!
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

BFG wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:33 pm
So the squad will be smaller, a few tired bodies and injuries and the players that got hammered away by Wasps in the AWC and Saints 2nds in the A League will be running out, great idea, a trip to Jersey will be nice in 2020!
So who's coming up from the Championship? If the promoted team 'do a Chiefs' then there might not be a whipping boy to save Tigers the way they're going.

Cripes, to think that relegation could be possible at all is so disappointing.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

kend wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:31 pm
Roly wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:11 pm

I should have been more explicit - broadly the same group of players (presumably with the same limitations) reached the top 4 and got within a score of the final. I'm not saying that is sufficient (actually, up 'til this season you would say top four was a necessary condition for Tigers), just that you would expect a top coach to be able to engineer a performance from this group.
Ah, I see. Thanks Kend.