Ben Youngs injury update

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Stephen18
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Re: Ben Youngs injury update

Post by Stephen18 »

Tiglon wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:53 am Hope he recovers well in time for a good pre-season.

Bit disappointing/ridiculous to see posts questioning whether he'll ever play again - lots of sports people tear ligaments and recover fully, it really isn't very often a career threatening injury.

Looking forward to seeing him back next season, or even the end of this. Great player who, IMO, is still right up there at the top of the game.

I'd like to see Simmons given a chance in his absence.
Does anyone know whos the better prospect simmons who was one of the few bright sparks from sundays game or white whos been selected over simmons for the england u20s.
MikeR
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by MikeR »

Personally I think Simmons is the better of the 2 . He is bigger , a good left footed kicker and a big threat around the fringes . White is more of a distributor and I doubt he would have scored the 2 tries that Simmons did on Saturday . Both still young and too early to say how things will go . I'd be happy to see Simmons start ahead of Harrison though .
Stephen18
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Stephen18 »

MikeR wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:23 pm Personally I think Simmons is the better of the 2 . He is bigger , a good left footed kicker and a big threat around the fringes . White is more of a distributor and I doubt he would have scored the 2 tries that Simmons did on Saturday . Both still young and too early to say how things will go . I'd be happy to see Simmons start ahead of Harrison though .
Thank for that if you right, then it right to start simmons if our scrum comes under trouble someone who can spot a gap which he showdvsunday, rather than someone who is going to ship on sh*t ball and put the back under pressure.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Steve Borthwick today on being asked: What's your reaction to the news about Ben Youngs?

"Obviously the first thing is he's a player and you're tremendously disappointed for him. He's been playing so well, working so hard to constantly improve his game.

"Interestingly though, like he said to me this morning, it's an opportunity for him to get better and he's already embracing the opportunity it gives to come back physically even better shape than he's ever been in.

"So he's taken a really great approach to what is clearly a really disappointing situation."
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

strawclearer wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:53 pm Steve Borthwick today on being asked: What's your reaction to the news about Ben Youngs?

"Obviously the first thing is he's a player and you're tremendously disappointed for him. He's been playing so well, working so hard to constantly improve his game.

"Interestingly though, like he said to me this morning, it's an opportunity for him to get better and he's already embracing the opportunity it gives to come back physically even better shape than he's ever been in.

"So he's taken a really great approach to what is clearly a really disappointing situation."
Much as this is an ostensibly positive statement, I can't help remembering some of the utter bilge positive spin the guy used to come out with when England Captain and after yet another desperately poor performance.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Roly wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:18 pm
strawclearer wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:53 pm Steve Borthwick today on being asked: What's your reaction to the news about Ben Youngs?

Much as this is an ostensibly positive statement, I can't help remembering some of the utter bilge positive spin the guy used to come out with when England Captain and after yet another desperately poor performance.
I confess that the cynic in me also thought - what else would YBY say to someone who holds some sway over his selection?!
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

...and from MO'C:

“He is as positive as he can be,” said the Tigers’ coach. “The real upside is that there are no meniscal implications and the ACL looks fine so long-term health of the knee isn’t going to be an issue. We will patch Ben up and he should be fine by the start of next season.”
maroontrunks
Tiger Cub

Post by maroontrunks »

MikeR wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:23 pm Personally I think Simmons is the better of the 2 . He is bigger , a good left footed kicker and a big threat around the fringes . White is more of a distributor and I doubt he would have scored the 2 tries that Simmons did on Saturday . Both still young and too early to say how things will go . I'd be happy to see Simmons start ahead of Harrison though .
I don't think Simmons is quite ready to start ahead of Harrison. Replacement scrum halves always seem to look attractive off the bench and get compared favourably to the starter as they tend to inject pace into the game, but that doesn't mean they'll be able to sustain that performance for 60 minutes. Youngs always seems to get a lot of stick from both Tigers and England fans when compared with Harrison or Care, and now the same thing is happening to Harrison when he gets the 9 shirt.
Stephen18
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Stephen18 »

maroontrunks wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:26 am
I don't think Simmons is quite ready to start ahead of Harrison. Replacement scrum halves always seem to look attractive off the bench and get compared favourably to the starter as they tend to inject pace into the game, but that doesn't mean they'll be able to sustain that performance for 60 minutes. Youngs always seems to get a lot of stick from both Tigers and England fans when compared with Harrison or Care, and now the same thing is happening to Harrison when he gets the 9 shirt.
Your right i tell people all the time care scores as many as he does for england as with his pace against a tiring defence there are natural more gaps, so hopefully given the chance simmons could have the same impact for us of the bench, as he showed again wasps.
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

Stephen18 wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:56 pm
Tiglon wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:53 am Hope he recovers well in time for a good pre-season.

Bit disappointing/ridiculous to see posts questioning whether he'll ever play again - lots of sports people tear ligaments and recover fully, it really isn't very often a career threatening injury.

Looking forward to seeing him back next season, or even the end of this. Great player who, IMO, is still right up there at the top of the game.

I'd like to see Simmons given a chance in his absence.
Does anyone know whos the better prospect simmons who was one of the few bright sparks from sundays game or white whos been selected over simmons for the england u20s.
I see White has been made England U20 captain.

https://twitter.com/LeicesterTigers/sta ... 6312976384
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

MOC said on BBC TO that YBY's surgeon advised he does not require surgery and could be back before the end of this season. :smt023
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

sapajo wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:19 pm MOC said on BBC TO that YBY's surgeon advised he does not require surgery and could be back before the end of this season. :smt023
Who is YBY's surgeon? Dr Nick Riviera?
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

sapajo wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:19 pm MOC said on BBC TO that YBY's surgeon advised he does not require surgery and could be back before the end of this season. :smt023
"BBC TO"?
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

loretta wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:46 am
"BBC TO"?
He said it on radio Leicester
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

At last some really good news on Ben's injury - may be back before the end of the season.
http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/rugb ... 16486.html
Hehehehehehehehe