So .... rest of the season

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Re: So .... rest of the season

Post by strawclearer »

Chucking a load of young development guys into the 1st XV because that 1st XV is having a bad time is most definitely not the way to introduce young talent to the 'big time'!

Introducing one or two at a time into a successful team that's working well is the way to bring the young guys on - whatever level you're looking at!
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
LestaTiger

Post by LestaTiger »

strawclearer wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:51 pm Chucking a load of young development guys into the 1st XV because that 1st XV is having a bad time is most definitely not the way to introduce young talent to the 'big time'!

Introducing one or two at a time into a successful team that's working well is the way to bring the young guys on - whatever level you're looking at!
Thank you for all you ! marks...

And yes you are correct. However, we have been woefully inadequate at bring through quality young players for many a year.

This would be my team for next week. Mixing experience with youth.

15 Veainu
14 Holmes
13 Malouf or Tuilagi (depending on injury)
12 Toomua
11 Thompstone
10 Hardwick
9 Simmons

1 Gigena
2 Youngs (c)
3 Mulipola
4 Barrow
5 Williams
6 Evans
7 O’Connor
8 Mapapalagi

Replacements
16 Tatafu Polota-Nau
17 Bateman
18 Betts
19 Fitzgerald
20 Kalamafoni
21 White
22 Ford
22 Tuilagi or Owen
23 Olowofela

This would be an example of increasing our youth development over the 6natioms period that in-composes youth and experience.

And to be honest our “1xv” has been neither performing or bringing through younger players to your so call “big time” for a while.

In order to survive we have to be more efficient and braver in our selection policy and seriously look at the many “1Xvers” who are deadwood and cut them loose.

We must now revert back to the Tigers of old and back our younger Tigers by giving them important Premiership playing time rather than the Anglo Welsh.

To develop truely world class players we have to give them opportunities to grow in a world class system ie Premiership and Europe. That is where we will find out future Martin Johnson’s and Martin Corry’s.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

There lies the problem.
Stick with experience that clearly is failing or risk blooding a few youngsters.

There is an argument that you learn more in defeat than in success. I don’t advocate playing youngsters who are not physically strong enough to play safely but if you are going to be beaten then better to lose with an eye to the future rather than continuing with ordinary journeymen who won’t be part of a team that will be playing when we are at the top level again.
Some will thrive, those that don’t will be moved on or learn enough to realise where they need to work on for their next chance.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

LestaTiger wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:16 pm
strawclearer wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:51 pm Chucking a load of young development guys into the 1st XV because that 1st XV is having a bad time is most definitely not the way to introduce young talent to the 'big time'!

And yes you are correct. However, we have been woefully inadequate at bring through quality young players for many a year.
Thank you for correcting my use of punctuation.

You missed the 'r' off 'your'.......if we're being pedantic. Oh and there should be a comma in "And yes, you are correct" and you missed the 'ing' off 'bringing'.

Numpty.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

strawclearer wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:30 pm

You missed the 'r' off 'your'.......if we're being pedantic. Oh and there should be a comma in "And yes, you are correct" and you missed the 'ing' off 'bringing'.

Numpty.
No LestaTigers was correct on that one
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
LestaTiger

Post by LestaTiger »

strawclearer wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:30 pm

Numpty.

Oh my. You have missed my point yet again... I was only mentioning this in gest. However, thank you for being the grammar police.

I would rather you we’re commenting on rugby matters than grammatical issues. As I’m sure this is the post of this post.
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

LestaTiger wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:16 pm Replacements
16 Tatafu Polota-Nau
17 Bateman
18 Betts
19 Fitzgerald
20 Kalamafoni
21 White
22 Ford
22 Tuilagi or Owen
23 Olowofela
You'll never get away with putting 9 players on the bench.... :smt009

Talking of developing players...why have Betts on the bench? He's declared he's off at the end of the season, probably justifiably, but why develop a player who is leaving - seems a bit pointless to me.
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

WhitecapTiger wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:56 pm
16 Tatafu Polota-Nau
17 Bateman
18 Betts
19 Fitzgerald
20 Kalamafoni
21 White
22 Ford
22 Tuilagi or Owen
23 Olowofela

So, basically, we're struggling with the 3 R's.........'riting, 'rithmetic and Rugby! :smt003
LestaTiger

Post by LestaTiger »

16 Tatafu Polota-Nau
17 Bateman
18 Betts
19 Fitzgerald
20 Kalamafoni
21 White
22 Ford
22 Tuilagi or Owen
23 Olowofela

Talking of developing players...why have Betts on the bench? He's declared he's off at the end of the season, probably justifiably, but why develop a player who is leaving - seems a bit pointless to me.
Haha brilliant... good spot!! We can only try...

As for Ben Betts - didn’t know he was off? Shame, I think. As could have been decent. Hayes instead then! Better development for you?
LestaTiger

Post by LestaTiger »

strawclearer wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:11 pm
16 Tatafu Polota-Nau
17 Bateman
18 Betts
19 Fitzgerald
20 Kalamafoni
21 White
22 Ford
22 Tuilagi or Owen
23 Olowofela

So, basically, we're struggling with the 3 R's.........'riting, 'rithmetic and Rugby! :smt003
Didn’t realise you were the Archbishop of Banterbury...

Thank you for your insightful input as always.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Strawclearer is correct; throwing in a bunch of youngsters all at once is not the way you help them develop. You play them one or two at the time, in partnerships with experienced players - e.g. Hardwick with Youngs or Simmons/White with Ford.

I agree that it seems like we do not do this enough, but consider two things:
1) When head coach of a team that is expected to win almost every single game, but is not actually that good, would you throw caution to the wind or play it safe with experience?
2) From the outside none of us can know whether these youngsters are mentally and physically mature enough to be ready for first team Premiership rugby.

These kids need to be nurtured and developed, not chucked in asap to see if they sink or swim.

I also don't see that we have lost that much youth talent in recent years. Some decent youngsters have left in the last 5 years, but you can't keep everyone - and most of the names trotted out every time this debate surfaces are decidedly average or deeply flawed.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

The risk is that the youngsters may vote with their feet.

Being kept out of the side by an international is one thing but a ordinary player who's performances have contributed to ur decline must frustrate any ambitions player.
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

After yesterday's unexpected result, 4th place is possible, depending on the fortunes of other clubs.
The three other clubs currently gunning for 4th are: Newcastle 46 points; Bath 45 points: Glaws 44 points and Tigers on 42 points.
Sale are four points adrift of Tigers and are maybe have too steep a hill to climb

So here are the remaining fixtures for these four clubs:
Newcastle - Glaws, Tigers and Wuss away; Saints, Sale & Wasps at home
Bath - Quins, Sarries & Glaws away; Exeter, Tigers & Irish at home.
Glaws - Exeter, Irish & Sarries away; Newcastle, Quins & Bath at home
Tigers - Wuss, Bath & Sale away; Wasps, Saints & Newcastle at home

Clearly the matches with Bath and Newcastle will be crucial.

Yesterday's performance was encouraging but let's not get carried away.
Personally, and it's not for a lack of desire and ambition to reach the end of season play-offs, I think that in this season of transition, 5th or 6th place, and securing top flight European rugby next season would be most satisfactory.
Semper in excretia
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

The performance against Saracens was great, but allowing in two scores at the end suggests the defence still needs work.

Of course the real yardstick will be can Tigers maintain and improve on this level of performance for the rest of the season.
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

drc_007 wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:28 am The performance against Saracens was great, but allowing in two scores at the end suggests the defence still needs work
Ordinarily I would agree, however it is possible that the young replacement (can't remember his name!) who scored both tries may not have featured in Tigers videos etc during training. Therefore just maybe we weren't fully aware of the danger!
No excuses, just a thought!