So .... rest of the season

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

scrum1/2
Top Cat
Top Cat

So .... rest of the season

Post by scrum1/2 »

Ok so no real surprise that we are out of the only real chance of silver ware this season, it’s now back to the Premiership. All of the senior players that we have left who are not on international duty have been rested so no excuses for any lethargic games but my major concern is that we haven’t used any of the games to give them game time together so the likes of Manu and Tamoua have not had any real game time. The next few games look difficult and I hope that I’m wrong but I don’t see a top 6 finish and I wonder what will happen if we don’t win any of the games during the 6 nations which is possible- hindsight is great but should we have used the Anglo Welsh to get the team together and give us impetus for the league games coming up and also a chance of silver ware? Thoughts...
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Re: So .... rest of the season

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

it'll be a big few months for Harrison, could define his Tigers career, Youngs looks like being out for a very long time, so Harrison needs to step up or White/Simmons could displace him, that happens you may as well release him right there and then as he would be done here
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Prospects have taken a nose dive with that potential serious injury to YBY! :smt009
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Snowdrop

Post by Snowdrop »

From a personal perspective, I am less concerned about the rest of our season than I am about Ben's recovery. That looks very bad and we lost another 9 (Harry Ellis, who was never the same) a few years back to a serious knee injury.
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

Snowdrop wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:33 pm From a personal perspective, I am less concerned about the rest of our season than I am about Ben's recovery. That looks very bad and we lost another 9 (Harry Ellis, who was never the same) a few years back to a serious knee injury.
If Tigers are smart they would be talking to Leicester City about it, Matthew James basically missed two years due to a similar injury and is now back and playing at the level he was before, the injury is more common in football (assuming its ACL) so they would have a greater wealth of knowledge.

The also have special treadmills designed to reduce the weight of the user when running on them to aid recovery when you get to that point
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

Yes a tragedy for YBY although we do have adequate cover fur his position. What we neef now is our substitute players to step up a couple of gears whilst the six nations is running. :smt017
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

Noddy555 wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:54 pm Yes a tragedy for YBY although we do have adequate cover fur his position. What we neef now is our substitute players to step up a couple of gears whilst the six nations is running. :smt017
Sorry Noddy but we do not have much scrum half cover after Sam Harrison with Ben White with England U20's , Harry Simmons in Development played in the AWC , several in Academy but much too soon. Kitto is at Quins now as their cover. Is freelance Stringer still alive? as he retired before he beat Andy Goode's record of No. of clubs he played for.
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:19 pm it'll be a big few months for Harrison, could define his Tigers career, Youngs looks like being out for a very long time, so Harrison needs to step up or White/Simmons could displace him, that happens you may as well release him right there and then as he would be done here
If as it looked Ben's injury is quite serious, we need to sign a good scrum half now as injury cover
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
Coops
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Coops »

Think we need to wait for the official news from England Camp before signing every other available SH in the country. Jones seemed to think he would miss Wales game for sure.

In terms of Tigers season, I think we'll only win 2 out of the 4 games during the 6N and with results going as expected we will only move up to 7th place (that excludes any bonus points, which doesn't matter anyway because we don't get any anyway!)

Top 4 is out of the question based on current form. Top 6 is a priority - no European Cup qualification would be a disaster.
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

I believe this season ,as previous seasons, has done for us. UNLESS the BoD install a coaching team even on a temp basis that can dig us out of a hole. Then look at long term to assist MOC.
Someone in another post mentioned JOHNNO or BACK to help. I would add SIR CLIVE. However the reputations of these would be dented by association. But has anyone talked to the these mentioned. Where is Dean Ryan these days?

I also believe that we need to ship a few - pruning the dead wood.We have a decent squad who are not functioning as a team.
This has to be sorted as a matter of urgency.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Johnson isn't interested and Backs coaching record is poor. But I don't disagree the coaching set up could do with beefing up.

I'm reserving judgement on MOC.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

wellstiger wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:41 am I believe this season ,as previous seasons, has done for us. UNLESS the BoD install a coaching team even on a temp basis that can dig us out of a hole. Then look at long term to assist MOC.
Someone in another post mentioned JOHNNO or BACK to help. I would add SIR CLIVE. However the reputations of these would be dented by association. But has anyone talked to the these mentioned. Where is Dean Ryan these days?

I also believe that we need to ship a few - pruning the dead wood.We have a decent squad who are not functioning as a team.
This has to be sorted as a matter of urgency.
There’s also the issue of Sir Clive not coaching for 12 years
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

There were several available and experienced coaches Tigers could've hired, and also expanded their coaching team. They chose not to, and hired MOC. Architects of our own misfortune.
'Nuff said. :smt009
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

wormus wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:28 am
Noddy555 wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:54 pm Yes a tragedy for YBY although we do have adequate cover fur his position. What we neef now is our substitute players to step up a couple of gears whilst the six nations is running. :smt017
Sorry Noddy but we do not have much scrum half cover after Sam Harrison with Ben White with England U20's , Harry Simmons in Development played in the AWC , several in Academy but much too soon. Kitto is at Quins now as their cover. Is freelance Stringer still alive? as he retired before he beat Andy Goode's record of No. of clubs he played for.
Stringer was a player I really would have liked to see playing for us, superb at quick ball, what a player he was.
WiggoTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WiggoTiger »

Forget about this season, start looking forward to the new season in September. We are absolutely pathetic at present and hopefully will change all round at close season to improve our fortunes for next season.
A TIGER TILL I DIE!!
Supporting since 1977 and proud of it!!