Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

LE18
Super User
Super User

Re: The Six Nations Thread

Post by LE18 »

Stephen18 wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:53 pm
LE18 wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:43 pm Today's telegraph suggesting that EJ wants to play Jack Nowell at outside centre. Interesting!
Makes sense he’s playing an outside centre on the wing.
But he, Daly, is out injured.
Stephen18
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Stephen18 »

LE18 wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:06 pm [quote=Stephen18 post_id=684010 time=<a href="tel:1517435598">1517435598</a> user_id=12229]
[quote=LE18 post_id=684008 time=<a href="tel:1517434988">1517434988</a> user_id=8553]
Today's telegraph suggesting that EJ wants to play Jack Nowell at outside centre. Interesting!
[/quote]

[/quote]
Even more reason you’d have Nowell on the wing, with slade coving centre, and Watson at fullback, the positions they play week in week out for their clubs and two of them played for the lions.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

He will be selecting, Brown, Watson and May as his back 3. Nowell needs to be found a spot.
Stephen18
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Stephen18 »

LE18 wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:25 pm He will be selecting, Brown, Watson and May as his back 3. Nowell needs to be found a spot.
I know I can’t understand why he’s so desperate to still play brown who come the World Cup will be 33 not far off 34, sure all selections now should be looking towards the World Cup squad. He also seems to need to find spots for ford, teo, Joseph and Daley(when fit). If I where Nowell I’d want to focus on wing or fullback.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Stephen18 wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:42 pm
LE18 wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:25 pm He will be selecting, Brown, Watson and May as his back 3. Nowell needs to be found a spot.
I know I can’t understand why he’s so desperate to still play brown who come the World Cup will be 33 not far off 34, sure all selections now should be looking towards the World Cup squad. He also seems to need to find spots for ford, teo, Joseph and Daley(when fit). If I where Nowell I’d want to focus on wing or fullback.
EJ might want to double up in every position, makes sense really, competition for places and depth.
I actually think Nowell could be something special at 13!
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

BFG wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:36 am
Stephen18 wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:42 pm
EJ might want to double up in every position, makes sense really, competition for places and depth.
I actually think Nowell could be something special at 13!
He has played for Chiefs at centre and full-back, Nowell is a good utility back that gets picked on the wing.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

Stephen18 wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:20 pm
LE18 wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:06 pm [quote=Stephen18 post_id=684010 time=<a href="tel:1517435598">1517435598</a> user_id=12229]
[quote=LE18 post_id=684008 time=<a href="tel:1517434988">1517434988</a> user_id=8553]
Today's telegraph suggesting that EJ wants to play Jack Nowell at outside centre. Interesting!
[/quote]
Even more reason you’d have Nowell on the wing, with slade coving centre, and Watson at fullback, the positions they play week in week out for their clubs and two of them played for the lions.
[/quote]

Slade is injured.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Watson will be Browns replacement eventually.
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

LE18 wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:51 pm Watson will be Browns replacement eventually.
Quite possibly.

Although Brown is on the cusp, I still think his detractors are being harsh. Brown is still a potent attacking threat - just a yard slower than he used to be.

I mean, Eddie Jones selects him - what does he know?
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

Brown, unlike Stuart Hogg, for example, never has been and never will be a game changing fullback, one who can find that special something, that extra metre of pace to score the try that wins the game. And if England are to beat New Zealand, then with Brown at fullback, that's unlikely to happen. Ok, so he's dependable under the high ball and is competitive, but if Eddie wants to win the World Cup next year, he'll need to look elsewhere and the 6N is the opportunity to give Watson, for example a run of games to prove his worth, or otherwise.
Semper in excretia
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Brown would be my choice - he's the most experienced, most dependable and is mentally the toughest of the options. With the pace we will have at 11, 13, 14 he doesn't need to be Usain Bolt.

Most of all he has the kind of personality and attitude you want in your team. He's a leader, and Tigers are currently showing what happens when you don't have enough of those.
Brown, unlike Stuart Hogg, for example, never has been and never will be a game changing fullback, one who can find that special something, that extra metre of pace to score the try that wins the game. And if England are to beat New Zealand, then with Brown at fullback, that's unlikely to happen. Ok, so he's dependable under the high ball and is competitive, but if Eddie wants to win the World Cup next year, he'll need to look elsewhere and the 6N is the opportunity to give Watson, for example a run of games to prove his worth, or otherwise.
And last time we beat New Zealand the full back was the well known speed merchant Alex Goode, with none other than Brown on one wing, Ashton on the other, and Manu alongside Brad "lightning" Barrett in the centres. Pace isn't everything, and luckily Eddie Jones understands that.
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

Tiglon wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:35 am Brown would be my choice - he's the most experienced, most dependable and is mentally the toughest of the options. With the pace we will have at 11, 13, 14 he doesn't need to be Usain Bolt.

Most of all he has the kind of personality and attitude you want in your team. He's a leader, and Tigers are currently showing what happens when you don't have enough of those.
And last time we beat New Zealand the full back was the well known speed merchant Alex Goode, with none other than Brown on one wing, Ashton on the other, and Manu alongside Brad "lightning" Barrett in the centres. Pace isn't everything, and luckily Eddie Jones understands that.
Fine, you would choose Brown and I'm sure he'll give 100% and won't let the team down. I may be in the minority, but personally I'd much rather have a fullback like Stuart Hogg in the team - maybe this English player doesn't exist!!
Semper in excretia
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

3 Tigers start for England

England team to face Italy:

Brown; Watson, Te'o, Farrell, May; Ford, Youngs; Vunipola, Hartley, Cole, Launchbury, Itoje, Lawes, Robshaw, Simmonds
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

Chobbsy wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:36 am 3 Tigers start for England

England team to face Italy:

Brown; Watson, Te'o, Farrell, May; Ford, Youngs; Vunipola, Hartley, Cole, Launchbury, Itoje, Lawes, Robshaw, Simmonds
SORRY !!!!! typo make that 4 Tigers
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

Robespierre wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:00 am
Tiglon wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:35 am Brown would be my choice - he's the most experienced, most dependable and is mentally the toughest of the options. With the pace we will have at 11, 13, 14 he doesn't need to be Usain Bolt.

Fine, you would choose Brown and I'm sure he'll give 100% and won't let the team down. I may be in the minority, but personally I'd much rather have a fullback like Stuart Hogg in the team - maybe this English player doesn't exist!!
Hogg is a flat-track bully and well over-rated.