The Six Nations Thread

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Stephen18
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Re: The Six Nations Thread

Post by Stephen18 »

Lawes and hughes have both been ruled out of Saturdays game against ireland. Armand and isiekwe. Good to see armand but still refusing to make the changes needed, so he’ll be choosing a backrow of Robshaw, haskell and Simmons, hopefully he at least puts armand on the bench.
POSTIGER
Super User
Super User

Post by POSTIGER »

Pleased for Armand. He should be a regular starter anyway in my eyes. Shocking that he only has a solitary cap despite being arguably the best English-qualified flanker for the past 2 seasons. Uncle Eddie needs to think outside the box a bit more often.
I saw Marika Vunibaka play
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

Is Armand better than BOC? And doesn't what BOC brings to the table is what England need more of?
Stephen18
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Stephen18 »

Rugbyflanker wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:26 pm Is Armand better than BOC? And doesn't what BOC brings to the table is what England need more of?
I think O’connor this month has been the stand out backrow in the premiership and could be good for england in the breakdown and I think should be include in the training squad, but Armand has been the form back row of the season with some decent breakdown play and also carrying well and scoring so powerful push over tries and deserve a chance.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Stephen18 wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:32 pm Lawes and hughes have both been ruled out of Saturdays game against ireland. Armand and isiekwe. Good to see armand but still refusing to make the changes needed, so he’ll be choosing a backrow of Robshaw, haskell and Simmons, hopefully he at least puts armand on the bench.
I’ve seen nothing from Isiekwe to suggest he’s anything for the future. I’d have Ewels on the bench
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Disappointing from Jones, couldn't bully the French or the Scots for that matter, and is sticking to the power game that is successful at club level for the likes of Exeter and Saracens, the game that has hit a wall at international level.
England simply don't have enough skill to play at a high enough tempo for international rugby in these selections, in my opinion.
England have a decent set piece and line out but until Jones realises that he needs a set of backs and a back row capable of striking off earlier phase ball then England will struggle against top international teams who will just pick them off at the breakdown such is their class.
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

Good post BFG!
nasher

Post by nasher »

Well said BFG. Jones "bulldozer" rugby is not good enough for international rugby. The scots exposed its shortcomings and every other international coach has seen it. England are In for some torrid times to come.
DeadlyDunc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DeadlyDunc »

FKA "Warrenball"
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

England lost due to conceding 16 penalties, about half of which were for holding on. That is not sustainable. It is the responsibility of all the players, especially the forwards to clear out the rucks, you can't just blame the back row.

What annoyed me most (except for the result) was our hopeless kick chase. We never once competed for the ball in the air.

I watched Ireland play just before and every time Sexton or Murray kicked an Irishman was there jumping for the ball against the Scots full back or winger. It caused mayhem at times and often resulted in a big territorial gain.

England on the other hand just let the opposition catch it unfettered, and then the tackling player usually gets stepped and we are back to square one. I think this all resulted from Daly being red carded v Fiji for mis-timing his tackle, but that was unfortunate and just not good play, but there is no reason not to challenge for the ball in the air, it creates doubts for the defenders and will often result in a knock on or turnover.

Get ready for another kick chase lesson from the Irish next Saturday.
Soggypitch
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

Spot on! I made a point earlier on this thread I think about starting WW and playing a kick chase game because its not one of France strongest points but we didn't do it at all,why? Eddie tactically has been poor last two games
LE18
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2017/18 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 3!

Post by LE18 »

Lots of commentators are talking of the demise of Dan Cole as an international prop! Maybe we could be seeing more of him but I hope he improves on his discipline, he is still in there when the penalties are dished out and Saturdays count was unacceptable although I don't think he was specifically pointed out. His carrying is almost non existent at international level, he is working his guts out just propping! I know many will be saying there was no replacement for him, but he appears knackered by overwork!
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Rugbyflanker wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:01 pm Spot on! I made a point earlier on this thread I think about starting WW and playing a kick chase game because its not one of France strongest points but we didn't do it at all,why? Eddie tactically has been poor last two games
Who is WW, i'm confused?
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

Sorry bad habit,Richard Wigglesworth
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Thanks, I wondered if that was whom you meant, didn't raise it first time but as you repeated it I thought I had missed someone. Box kicking is Wigglesworth's only attribute, so not worth international start when likes of Robson are about.