The Six Nations Thread

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Starburst
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Re: The Six Nations Thread

Post by Starburst »

I don't think there's anything wrong with Williams finishing, we've seen him finish quite a few decent tries. For me it was more a case of a phenomenal tackle from Underhill.

Wales were never going to have the space playing away to England that they had at home to Scotland to play the 'Scarlets' style rugby. EJ got his tactics spot on and I thought the English defence was mostly excellent all game and didn't let Wales play the game the way they did against Scotland.

Credit to Wales though, after going behind to two early tries their young / inexperienced side could have crumbled. Instead they worked their way back into the game. Wales could have won that game, and if not for that incorrect TMO decision would have been a lot closer but for me England probably deserved to edge the win on their performance and in particular that Underhill tackle.

EJ will be happy with a win, their defence and that ability to eke out victory under pressure. WG will be pleased that with half his first choice players missing he seems to have unearthed a few new players good enough to compete at this level.

Thought Brown was excellent and deserved MOM, but imho was bang out of order laughing in Scot Williams face on the floor after not scoring the try. It's not football show some respect. Don't care who you are, who you play for or who the opposition is, I find that type of behaviour petty, juvenile, disrespectful and makes Brown look less of a man.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Which wrong TMO decision was that? :smt004
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Stephen18
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Stephen18 »

Starburst wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:15 pm I don't think there's anything wrong with Williams finishing, we've seen him finish quite a few decent tries. For me it was more a case of a phenomenal tackle from Underhill.

Wales were never going to have the space playing away to England that they had at home to Scotland to play the 'Scarlets' style rugby. EJ got his tactics spot on and I thought the English defence was mostly excellent all game and didn't let Wales play the game the way they did against Scotland.

Credit to Wales though, after going behind to two early tries their young / inexperienced side could have crumbled. Instead they worked their way back into the game. Wales could have won that game, and if not for that incorrect TMO decision would have been a lot closer but for me England probably deserved to edge the win on their performance and in particular that Underhill tackle.

EJ will be happy with a win, their defence and that ability to eke out victory under pressure. WG will be pleased that with half his first choice players missing he seems to have unearthed a few new players good enough to compete at this level.

Thought Brown was excellent and deserved MOM, but imho was bang out of order laughing in Scot Williams face on the floor after not scoring the try. It's not football show some respect. Don't care who you are, who you play for or who the opposition is, I find that type of behaviour petty, juvenile, disrespectful and makes Brown look less of a man.
I dont agree will brown being man of the match, he had a good game at the back was great under the high ball, although offered little going forward and did get done for pace a couple of times on the outside, but reliable. As for his attitude myself and the other people in the pub we watched it at found it a bit of fun hazing, and i would bet he gets the same treatment when he makes a mistake, anyway for me launchbury was mom all day he was everywhere competed at most breakdown did some link play out wide, much like last week watson had a good game but simmons was mom i assum its a back choosing it at the moment and when its a forward they’ll all be forwards.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:37 pm it came off the wingers knee that isn't a knock on, England simply got away with one there
There's a clip of the knock-on on t'internet which is at least as conclusive as the touchdown. Right result for possibly the wrong reason. As an old Umpire in the Leics League said whenever his decision was (politely) questioned - "Look in the scorebook later and the Mercury on Monday!"
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Not a jock
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Not a jock »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:03 am What are people’s thoughts on the disallowed try? When I first saw it I thought it was a try and Wales were hard done by. However, having watched it this morning, I think the correct decision was given as it looked like Watson’s right hand touched the ball first.
It came down to the question posed by the referee to the TMO i.e" try or no try?". If the TMO can't be sure then no try. Had the question been "any reason not to award a try?" then the TMO would probably have given it.
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

A much better scottish performance today. The changes all played well ... Laidlaw, Horne, Wilson, Berghaan, Gilchrist, Denton .. a can't help thing he got selection wrong last week. All but Brghann were available
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

Rugbyflanker wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:33 am Strange selection IMO of course. I can explain mine though as I did and don't you think JJ could be an Insurance policy against Cares kicking? Care better boxkicking than Young's is just pure lunacy! You obviously don't watch much of England
Well, it turns out I was right and you obviously don't watch much England....or Wales....or .....
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

Stephen18 wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:21 pm
Starburst wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:15 pm I don't think there's anything wrong with Williams finishing, we've seen him finish quite a few decent tries. For me it was more a case of a phenomenal tackle from Underhill.

I dont agree will brown being man of the match, he had a good game at the back was great under the high ball, although offered little going forward and did get done for pace a couple of times on the outside, but reliable. As for his attitude myself and the other people in the pub we watched it at found it a bit of fun hazing, and i would bet he gets the same treatment when he makes a mistake, anyway for me launchbury was mom all day he was everywhere competed at most breakdown did some link play out wide, much like last week watson had a good game but simmons was mom i assum its a back choosing it at the moment and when its a forward they’ll all be forwards.
Brown was good - I'm pleased he answered his critics (they should have a word with Eddie Jones) by playing his best match for a while. Only missed one high ball all day and made plenty of meters (contrary to popularist belief).

Launchbury could also have got it I'd agree with that.

The TMO decision is moot, as the try wasn't awarded. Farrell won England the game within 25 minutes, Wales were always playing catch-up after that.

Much has been made of Wales coming back into the match, but really, they could have played for another 160 minutes, and Wales wouldn't have crossed the whitewash. Wales are a good team, some great upcoming talent, but at the moment, they're playing as 23 individuals and seem to have lacked a real leader so far this 6N.

Strangely, I think it'll be Scotland that have the most chance of derailing England this year. The French are mercurial but are already playing for pride only and as Olivier Magne said yesterday, the French Coach, team and public see this year very much as a development towards the World Cup, with performances being more important than results. It might well be in Paris, but England are more complete. Scotland are just ornery and would sell their own Grannies to beat England at Murrayfield. They might well yet do it. Ireland at Twickenham.... who knows, but despite what I wrote earlier, I've got a sneaking suspicion that Wales will turn them over - don't know why, its just a hunch.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
Tiger_in_Birmingham
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tiger_in_Birmingham »

IMHO it was a try for Wales but what was worrying was a lack of consideration.
  • Ball came forward of Steff's leg so no knock on
  • Grounding; Law 21 states The ball can be grounded in in-goal:
    • By holding it and touching the ground with it; or
    • By pressing down on it with a hand or hands, arm or arms, or the front of the player’s body from waist to neck
  • I thought that Anscombe had enough downwards pressure, but I'm not particularly surprised that it was deemed to be more forwards than downwards
No one at all seemed to ask the question of was Anscombe onside? It came of Evans' leg so it was a kick, was Anscombe behind the kicker? He may well have been 10m onside for all I know, no one even seemed to think of raising that question or showing a camera angle that would have been useful
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

A deserved England victory. Wales were incredible defending for so long and never conceding a kickable penalty. If they had done so the score board would have kept ticking and England would have strolled home.

As it was Wales are too good a team not to have some good attacking moments and due the their good discipline they were able to stay just about in contention until the end, but overall were beaten by a better side.

England's best 3 players;

Farrell (yes Ellis he virtually won the game in the first 20 mins)
Launchbury
Brown.

But nobody had a bad game.

Hopefully Hughes will be fit and available for Scotland, because the back row, whilst good, still looks unbalanced without a big ball carrier at 8.
Soggypitch
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Did the TMO diss allow the try because of the knock on or the grounding?

The knock on is pretty conclusive. Who touched the ball down less clear.
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

Right about what rollup? Cares boxkicking better than Young's? Very good this game ,Bens still better though. Did you not see JJ masterclass on Steff Evans? Must have been me,so yes JJ was picked for his defensive qualities so yes I watched the game.
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

Rugbyflanker wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:57 pm Right about what rollup? Cares boxkicking better than Young's? Very good this game ,Bens still better though. Did you not see JJ masterclass on Steff Evans? Must have been me,so yes JJ was picked for his defensive qualities so yes I watched the game.
What does poor old JJ have to do for you..... A solid performance. Defended with pace and carried with precision (If you don't think so, read some match reviews and player ratings). Contrary to what you may believe, he was not picked to cover any defensive frailties that Care might have. Which, by the way, were not evident on Saturday, and haven't been evident for some time. Indeed Care was praised by some - Planet Rugby rated him 7/10 and stated:

" When not playing rugby Care is to be found following his beloved Liverpool FC and did well in conditions made for his outstanding footballing game".

They aren't skills he's pulled out of his backside overnight you know....

Anyway, Steff Evans had a great game, as did Navid (they both stood out for Wales), both beating several English defenders, so I'm not sure what you're rather flimsy point is.

Care and Youngs have different attributes, but Youngs, demonstrably, is not a 'better' box-kicker.

Its about time some of you people accepted it in light of actual contemporary performances.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

I thought England v Wales was a good match up, but then thought it would be anyway as both have similar approaches.
A few regular personnel missing, Billy V and Faletau etc, more missing for Wales though, forced selection really which I think could be good for them longer term!
Brown had a good game but not sure how relevant that is to when England eventually meet the All Blacks as the All Blacks don't overplay ariel ping pong!
Farrell was the difference in my opinion, lovely kick through for May to chase and pass over the top for Launchbury to offload to May!