Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

BFG
Super User
Super User

Re: The Six Nations Thread

Post by BFG »

England need freshening up IMO.
Robson for Care, Taylor for Hartley, Genge for Marler and Williams for Sinckler.
Not sure about George at hooker, reminds me of the ballet whenever he plays for England.
Sort the back row out as it's slow and past it as an attacking force, and get a set of backs with some creativity and pace!
newport tiger
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by newport tiger »

JP14 wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:02 pm While I'm in favour of the finishers concept, I was not a fan of England relying on them to win the games for them in the last 10 minutes in the last Six Nations.

England finishing 5th. Jeez even under Lancaster we didn't do that badly, or even Andy Robinson!! Back to the drawing board maybe, especially with the Harlequins stalwarts even though Mike Brown did play well when he came on.
I think that's a bit harsh on Robshaw who has consistently been England's best player despite being played out of position.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

For me the main failing this six nations has been Jones not picking on form. Almost criminal that players such as Armand, Robson, Woodburn and Woodward aren’t at least in the squad and got gametime against Italy.

I wouldn’t have Joseph in the squad for SA until he rediscovers some form. Daly is our best back so should be played at 13.

If I was Jones though I would draft Shields straight into the team for SA. We need a replacement for Haskell and someone who can really challenge Robshaw for the 6 shirt.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

newport tiger wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:19 pm
JP14 wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:02 pm While I'm in favour of the finishers concept, I was not a fan of England relying on them to win the games for them in the last 10 minutes in the last Six Nations.

England finishing 5th. Jeez even under Lancaster we didn't do that badly, or even Andy Robinson!! Back to the drawing board maybe, especially with the Harlequins stalwarts even though Mike Brown did play well when he came on.
I think that's a bit harsh on Robshaw who has consistently been England's best player despite being played out of position.
He needs a rest and Wilson is a more than capable substitute
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:22 pm For me the main failing this six nations has been Jones not picking on form. Almost criminal that players such as Armand, Robson, Woodburn and Woodward aren’t at least in the squad and got gametime against Italy.

I wouldn’t have Joseph in the squad for SA until he rediscovers some form. Daly is our best back so should be played at 13.

If I was Jones though I would draft Shields straight into the team for SA. We need a replacement for Haskell and someone who can really challenge Robshaw for the 6 shirt.
He might be in the squad but I’m sure he can’t play him until he physically starts playing for Wasps, plus Hurricanes won’t release him either.

What about Tuilagi?
Stephen18
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Stephen18 »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:22 pm
Theres isnt a lack of backrows that he needs to draft someone whos yet to play premiership level many have been mentioned on here already, they just need to be taken on tour and given a chance, I think everyone (expect Daley and Nowell who already missed large amounts of the season through injury) involved with the lions last year need resting over the summer as none of them came back the same, giving new players a chance. The only players we should definitely rule out at the minute is Hartley, Wigglesworth, Joseph and Cruz, as for Brown, Robshaw, Haskell, Ford I think their places are up for grabs but someone needs to step up and take them, I think Woodward might do that with Brown as Watsons hasn’t, and Underhill, Willis or Curry will probably take Haskells maybe even O’connor will get a chance if he stays fit for the premiership run in. I think Ford will kep his place as i dont think theres currently any quality english 10 to take it from him.
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

We have missed B Vunipola obviously, but one man's omission shouldn't have such a devastating effect. Hughes was never match fit and it showed, we badly need to unearth another quality ball carrying 8 and good as Simmons is, that is not him at Test level.
We have also badly missed Nowell. He is our most intelligent back 3 player, and in my view would be best suited to 15. Watson I think will always be just a little too flaky under the high ball at the top level - could you imagine Halfpenny, Dagg or Brown dropping that ball on Saturday?
So my team would be;

Mako
George
Williams
Itoje
Lawes
Armond (at 6)
Simmons/Curry/Underhill
Vunipola
Youngs
Ford
Farrell
Daly (at 13)
May
Watson
Nowell (at 15)

Sinckler
Genge
LCD
Launchbury
Robshaw
Robson
Teo
Soggypitch
rocktop51
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by rocktop51 »

JP14 wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:29 pm For the 1st South African test

1 Genge
2 L-CD
3 Williams
4 Launchbury
5 Spencer
6 Wilson
7 Armand
8 Simmonds
9 Youngs
10 Ford
11 Daly
12 Tuilagi
13 Slade
14 May
15 Woodward

With a bench of:
George, Hepburn, Sinckler, Ewels, Haskell, Robson, Smith, Trinder

Agree?
No room for Farrell ?
Hambo :- He was with England when he was injured, but he was a Tigers player, our player. He is still our player.”
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

I think it’s all about picking the right squad. This is the 33 I would pick for our summer tour and gives the form players a chance to seen in an England shirt.

1. Marler, Vunipola, Genge
2. Hartley, George, Cowan-Dickie
3. Cole, Sinckler, Williams
4. Launchbury, Lawes
5. Itoje, Kruis
6. Shields, Robshaw
7. Underhill, Armand
8. Vunipola, Hughes
9. Youngs, Robson
10. Ford, Lozowski
11. May, Woodburn
12. Farrell, Te’o
13. Daly, Tuilagi
14. Nowell, Watson
15. Brown, Woodward

Also feel that May is our best left winger and he hasn’t been used properly by England. He’s our best finisher but hasn’t been given any space to work with. His pace would compliment Nowell on the other wing with Tuilagi and Watson off the bench.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

1. Vunipola, Genge, Lahiff
2. Batty, Taylor, Cowan-Dickie
3. Cole, Williams
4. Slater, Launchbury
5. Stooke, Itoje
6. Rhodes, Willis
7. O'Connor, Curry
8. Vunipola, Simmons
9. Youngs, Robson
10. Ford, Cipriani (Farrell)
11. Rokodoguni, May
12. Twelvetrees, Devoto
13. Daly, Slade (Trinder)
14. Watson, Ibitoye
15. Brown, Nowell

Also must be a few Falcons well worth considering, Robinson, Welch, Wilson and maybe even full back Tait.
I only included Farrell because I know that he will never be dropped, but I'd rather add Henry Trinder to the centre options in his place.
Last edited by BFG on Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BigDan50
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by BigDan50 »

JP14, six Leicester players in your team? Three or four maybe, bit of tigers bias there.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

BigDan50 wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:46 pm JP14, six Leicester players in your team? Three or four maybe, bit of tigers bias there.
5, Spencer doesn’t count as he’s not technically a Tiger until preseason
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

A lot of people writing Cole off. Yes he isn’t the greatest ball in hand, but the jobs he does allows others to do those.
Taking into account full fitness for all, I would have a starting 15 of.

Genge
George
Cole
Itoje
Lawes
Armand
Earl
Vunipola
Youngs
Farrell
May
Tuilagi
Slade
Nowell
Daley

Cowan-Dickie
Marler
Williams
Launchbury
Simmons
Robson
Ford
Watson
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Mark62 wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:29 pm A lot of people writing Cole off. Yes he isn’t the greatest ball in hand, but the jobs he does allows others to do those.
Taking into account full fitness for all, I would have a starting 15 of.

Genge
George
Cole
Itoje
Lawes
Armand
Earl
Vunipola
Youngs
Farrell
May
Tuilagi
Slade
Howell
Daley
Yes I agree with you re Cole but I would like to see him rested as he did go on a Lions tour and has played a lot of games this season.

Also, Lawes, Nowell and Vunipola may not be fit. George has had two golden opportunities to prove EJ he should be 1st choice and hasn’t taken those opportunities on either occasion. Ben Earl does look like a good talent however hasn’t played enough Premiership rugby in my opinion.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

rocktop51 wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:26 am No room for Farrell ?
No, he needs a rest and has been really below par this season. His kicking has been frankly shocking and Slade deserves the call over Farrell