Hobson’s choice for O’Connor.
I grudgingly defend his strategy on this occasion
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed man
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Re: Wasps vs Tigers - AWC Cup

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

Rugbyflanker wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:13 pm Spot on MikeR,absolutely ridiculous!
Those moan that we give the youngsters no game time. When we do, well, you can guess the rest. Can't win really...
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Like to see how this Jordan gets on, seems promising from what I heard, looks like the rumours about Stevens are true the other players on loan I think are only for this game. COYT, this should be a really good contest both squads quite developmental however my one concern is that I think that Wasps D team has played more together than ours
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
MikeR
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by MikeR »

Cameron Jordan is certainly one for the future and a star at Academy level - I have no problem with his selection . I just think it would have been sensible to try out some combinations that were likely starters against Glaws . Also , to describe the opposition as Wasps D is ludicrous - quite a few regular 1st team starters there .
rdracup
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by rdracup »

MikeR wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:56 pm Big mistake not to prepare combinations for next week . Gloucester giving gametime to plenty of their starting squad .
Disagree. AWC is always about development. Let’s see how many Glaws players get injured @ Newcastle. Combinations can still be sorted on the training ground and the players need a break.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

MikeR wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:07 pm Cameron Jordan is certainly one for the future and a star at Academy level - I have no problem with his selection . I just think it would have been sensible to try out some combinations that were likely starters against Glaws . Also , to describe the opposition as Wasps D is ludicrous - quite a few regular 1st team starters there .
You do know I meant it as Development not D Class. And by the way, Brendan Macken isn’t a regular 1st teamer, Tommy Taylor and Bassett are returning from injury, Rob Miller is sometimes a 23 player but only really plays when injury takes hold and the only other 2 players that I recognise are players that used to be in our development squad (Umaga & Owen)
MikeR
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by MikeR »

Well Macken has appeared 9 times for the 1st team this Season , as has Will Rowlands . Not heard of a scrum half called Joe Simpson ?
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Rowlands has been great for Wasps this season when fit.

Thought Andy saull retried too.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

JP14 wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:18 pm
MikeR wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:07 pm Cameron Jordan is certainly one for the future and a star at Academy level - I have no problem with his selection . I just think it would have been sensible to try out some combinations that were likely starters against Glaws . Also , to describe the opposition as Wasps D is ludicrous - quite a few regular 1st team starters there .
You do know I meant it as Development not D Class. And by the way, Brendan Macken isn’t a regular 1st teamer, Tommy Taylor and Bassett are returning from injury, Rob Miller is sometimes a 23 player but only really plays when injury takes hold and the only other 2 players that I recognise are players that used to be in our development squad (Umaga & Owen)
You haven’t heard of Marcus Watson?
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

jgriffin wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:10 pm MMMM......is this good or bad. Clearly we have given up on the AWC, does that mean we are focused on the AP or is it just dereliction?
The good is that the youngster get a chance. The bad is they may get well and truly stuffed? Either way, It will give the players a chance to wear the a shirt proper and taking a shafting while young really isnt that bad as long as it is learned from. Looking forward to seeing it on BT
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
Dr H Flashman MBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dr H Flashman MBE »

In regards to strong or weak teams, both saints and Quinn have put out very strong teams. They are both taking it seriously. I agree with playing the youngsters, but we can't complain if we get a hiding if others are playing some strong teams with internationals and first teamers.
There is never any points for 2nd place...
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

RagingBull wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:49 pm
JP14 wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:18 pm
You haven’t heard of Marcus Watson?
oops well pointed out RB, forget about him
Stephen18
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Stephen18 »

Theres where 2 ways of approaching the games stay true to the sprite of the competition, the way tigers have but risk getting stuffed which i dont think they will they may lose but it will be nothing like caste i hope, and take away the chance of progressing in a tournament thats isnt that important and will distract from the premiership and rest players to prevent injuries. Or do as saints have done pick a stong team try and build confidence to take forward into the premiership having already secured the bp win, and play players who have been out injuried to get them game time, like we could have done with a number of our plays such as manu and toomua have already missed alot of the season then manu hasnt played again for a month and toomua only once, and work on combinations havnt played together much such as ford and harrison. I suppose only results will show who was right tigers or saints/newcastle/wasps.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Cannot understand the logic of this selection. We need to be building momentum insteading of justing opting for yet another demoralising stuffing. :smt009
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
ghdav27

Post by ghdav27 »

sapajo wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:52 pm Cannot understand the logic of this selection. We need to be building momentum insteading of justing opting for yet another demoralising stuffing. :smt009
The saddest thing about this team is, it looks like we are protecting Kyle traynor.