Wasps vs Tigers - AWC Cup

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Re: Wasps vs Tigers - AWC Cup

Post by Chobbsy »

BFG wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:13 pm Tigers need the win and Wasps don't need to lose at home after the hammering last weekend.
I can see some bigger names coming in, who that'll benefit though is anyone's guess as currently the bigger the name the harder they fall!
What is the criteria for the team, i.e. how many first team players etc?
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
Super User
Super User

Post by 4071 »

BFG wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:51 pm
Tigerbeat wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:15 pm Wasps cannot afford to pick up many more injury casualties and Tigers need to prepare a team in readiness for Gloucester.
Expect an understrength Wasps team and a relatively strong Tigers team.
Yes you are right about the casualties, but they certainly can't afford another hammering like the last one in my opinion, otherwise they won't even be able to give the seats away!
They have fielded a third-string side for all three AWC matches this season. They won't change that just because they got hammered by Irish. More likely they'll give the kids a beasting and tell them to go out and regain some pride. Equally understrength Wasps sides had a good go at Falcons (41-53) and beat Ospreys so they'll probably think that giving the same guys a chance to redeem themselves is more valuable than risking injuries to senior players in a meaningless game.
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

4071 wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:50 pm
Tigerbeat wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:15 pm Wasps cannot afford to pick up many more injury casualties and Tigers need to prepare a team in readiness for Gloucester.
Yes you are right about the casualties, but they certainly can't afford another hammering like the last one in my opinion, otherwise they won't even be able to give the seats away!
They have fielded a third-string side for all three AWC matches this season. They won't change that just because they got hammered by Irish. More likely they'll give the kids a beasting and tell them to go out and regain some pride. Equally understrength Wasps sides had a good go at Falcons (41-53) and beat Ospreys so they'll probably think that giving the same guys a chance to redeem themselves is more valuable than risking injuries to senior players in a meaningless game.
Plus they will see a weak Tiger's side as a good scalp to take
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Chobbsy wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:24 pm
BFG wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:13 pm Tigers need the win and Wasps don't need to lose at home after the hammering last weekend.
I can see some bigger names coming in, who that'll benefit though is anyone's guess as currently the bigger the name the harder they fall!
I thought Leicester might go near what most would consider full strength currently apart from maybe a couple of forwards and a couple of backs who played last week.
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

According to Murphy we will be staying true to the developmental side of the competition and sending a young side out Sunday. Hopefully its just paper talk,anyone with half a brain knows this game paled into significance with the Gloc game which defines our season but this is Tigers we are talking about!
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

Rugbyflanker wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:06 pm According to Murphy we will be staying true to the developmental side of the competition and sending a young side out Sunday. Hopefully its just paper talk,anyone with half a brain knows this game paled into significance with the Gloc game which defines our season but this is Tigers we are talking about!
Here is the Mercury article - http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport ... nt-1140262
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

Rugbyflanker wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:06 pm anyone with half a brain knows this game paled into significance with the Gloc game which defines our season
The season is already defined.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Rugbyflanker wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:06 pm According to Murphy we will be staying true to the developmental side of the competition and sending a young side out Sunday. Hopefully its just paper talk,anyone with half a brain knows this game paled into significance with the Gloc game which defines our season but this is Tigers we are talking about!
Don't you think it would be a bit unsportsmanlike to send out our 1st team against a Wasps academy side?
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

JP14 wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:35 am
Don't you think it would be a bit unsportsmanlike to send out our 1st team against a Wasps academy side?
No, it isn't a popularity contest.

It didn't seem to hit Bath's stock playing the likes of Freddie Burns and Matt Bananaman last week v Falcons.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

I hope we don't send out the first team. Where else are our young players going to gain the experience to help them progress there is little enough game time otherwise.
I'm not cynical just experienced
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

4071 wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:50 pm
You could well be correct 4071, after all the biggest steps are needed to be taken playing under pressure, but I do think there will be pressure on both sides for a result so I guess we shall see how much each side is feeling the pressure when they name their sides!
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

I am fairly certain that it will be a well mixed squad with everyone who played last week and is available in the 23. The bigger question for me is who fills the gaps on the bench left by the youngsters who are away with the u 20's.
Hehehehehehehehe
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Cov press saying Bassett and Taylor are set to play.

It might be a strong wasps team.
Coops
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Coops »

Chobbsy wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:24 pm
Only constraint I can find is:

A Club may not play or select as a replacement in any Match more than two Foreign Players and
more than three Loan Players.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

I understand Murphy's thinking, cannot afford any injuries to 1st teamers, going to be a tough run in, time for the lower tier players to try to force their way into the reckoning and possibly a couple of newer names.