LEICESTER TIGERS 2017/18 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 3!

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2017/18 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 3!

Post by strawclearer »

Ben Foden is leaving Saints: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/43988526

"...a very tidy signing for somebody." Nick Mullins

"Playing some of his best rugby of late imo." Sam Roberts

Personally, thanks but no thanks - I'd rather we pushed Worth - but would he have any supporters in this formidable forum?
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

If Tait was off I wouldn't say no to foden, look good v Wasps.

One of the few saints backs I would have loved to have seen play for tigers.
Would I take him now probably not depends where the coaches view Olowofela and Worth main positions if it's at Wing and 12 like i'm hoping then maybe a 1/2 year Cheap (Being the key thing) deal whilst steward develops.

My main expectations for recruitment is
Cortes
Mafi
Another TH/LH
10/12 type
13/14 type
Cheap 15 type.

Alot of great players on the market in the 2019/20 season but that is a whole season away.
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

No to Foden! One good game in 10 these days and too busy pi55ing about with his hair,i want to see Simmons there
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

I thought you wanted Simmons at Flanker?
Or is this the plan make him the greatest versatility player ever?
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Tiglon wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 1:05 pm
ourla wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 12:03 pm You got to say our turnover of players is a red flag to issues. Whether it is a cause of the issues or simply symptomatic I'm not quite sure. But you look at the success stories of recent times, Chiefs, Sarries, now Falcons it's built over a period of time and the turnover limited. We just seem to be recycling players left, right and centre, with limited progress. I know some of things might be down to the coaching upheavels. at some point there has to be a plan and some time and patience given to see that plan take shape.
As far as I can tell that's simply because we have turned over Head Coaches/DoR. Consistency of leadership results in consistency of player retention. This is why it would be a disaster for MOC not to work out. We would start all over and have another churn of players for the new Head Coach.

It's no surprise that the teams with the longest serving leaders have the most stable squads.
What came first, the chicken or the egg. Everything appeared to work well with Cockers as DoR and MOC has Head Coach. MOC leaves. Why was that, someone remind me? Initially MOC wasn't replaced, which led to things sliding a bit. Eventually Mauger was brought in. That relationship didn't work, so they sack Cockers. Looking back, or even at the time, did that make sense? So then they put Mauger in charge but by now the wheels are in reality well and truly off and he in turn gets the push too. Meanwhile behind the scenes you've got Ged Glynn given more responsibility and arguably promoted above his abilities. When you read it back it's probably no surprise we aren't performing and are having player churn.

That is why I think MOC and Bakewell should be given time and why I don't like all this talk of he's :censored:, he's past it, etc.

It was interesting on the rugby pod this week how Andy Goode was questioning Glynn and asking who is in charge, running the show. And he was also talking about how the commercial side of the club has distracted from the what's going on on the pitch.
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

No. Always wanted him as FB,i said he reminds me of Exeter's Sam Simmonds.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 6:49 pm Everyone moans about squad churn, but considering the squad isn’t good enough currently, we need to ship out players to bring in better replacements.

Thompson, Mafi, Mapapalangi, O’Connor, Evans, Denton, Kalamafoni is a much better group of backrowers than what we’ve had this season for example.
Is the sqaud not good enough though. On paper it has certainly look good enough. You look at some of the games they have been good enough. Back row was clearly identified as a weakness so I don't mind that so much. It's more people have moaned about Tait and Smith for example when actually they are just the sort of squad players that have excelled at Sarries, Chiefs and now Falcons. There is talk of Brady going and I don't understand why. We bought the likes of Traynor and Bauman in. Were they any better than Balmain. You are not going to get it right every time. But it all seems a bit scattergun at times.
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

MOC is just a poor coach really,the squad is underachieving imo.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Given the fact that Ged Glyn has spanned all of the period of our demise it poses the question is he unsackable in addition to being Teflon coated?
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

I think the coaching team are getting blamed for loads which isn’t their fault and should be given time to put their systems in place.

Wasps used to be awful under Dai Young yet he was given time and now look at Wasps. Same with McCall at Sarries.

But the entire time Ged Glynn has been with Tigers the recruitment has never been great. Been very hit and miss with signings. Some very questionable ones even for this season like Traynor, Baumann, J Ford and Malouf.

Plus we probably haven’t always retained players who we’ve wanted so maybe his negotiating skills aren’t the best. So he should take responsibility and either turn things around or walk.

Going to RagingBull’s post, I agree with his assessment.
Cortes
Mafi, as a replacement for Williams
Another TH/LH, sounds like this is Paddy Ryan
4/5, if a quality international lock is going would grab them as a Barrow/Slater replacement
10/12 type
13/14 type
Cheap 15 type. Do the Wade rumours have any merit? Is Cordero still on the cards and he hasn’t signed for Exeter next season yet.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Don't think Paddy Ryan is coming. Haven't heard his name pop up outside that little bit in the Rugby Paper.

I want a International lock but feel it might be best to wait a season and try to get Lood de Jager when his contract ends after the RWC that would be my preference not saying he would come here but enough £££ and who knows.
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 12:11 pm Is Cordero still on the cards and he hasn’t signed for Exeter next season yet.
I'm sure I saw somewhere that he had signed up with Exeter for next season. I'll have a dig around and see if I can find any news articles online.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

longlivethecrumbie wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 1:04 pm
Leicestertinytiger wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 12:11 pm Is Cordero still on the cards and he hasn’t signed for Exeter next season yet.
I'm sure I saw somewhere that he had signed up with Exeter for next season. I'll have a dig around and see if I can find any news articles online.
rugby Paper said he had, but nothing official yet.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

RagingBull wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 1:06 pm
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/42902374

Said he is looking into it, but nothing confirmed.
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 1:07 pm
RagingBull wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 1:06 pm

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/42902374

Said he is looking into it, but nothing confirmed.
Ah, fair do's