LEICESTER TIGERS 2017/18 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 3!

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2017/18 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 3!

Post by Rugbyflanker »

That's a good shout,or could cover both positions from the bench as an impact player.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I’ve always viewed Williams as a lock. See this is where I believe MOC has failed, and that’s in his adaptation to scenarios. We could have had Williams at 4, Kitch at 5, Hamilton at 6 and Evans at 7 and we wouldn’t have done as badly in our bad period in Winter. MOC was too stubborn and stuck to his plan, only through the appointment of Bakewell have we been saved. You could argue that as an attack coach that O’Connor failed to notice where the pack was going wrong, but when a lot of fans are contradicting you, you know you must be wrong.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

For me Thompson will be the perfect bench player. Can cover the entire backrow and can make a massive impact with his carrying. Very dynamic ball in hand. Williams could cover 4-6 too.

Denton, BOC and Kalamafoni starting has a nice mix. Kalamafoni the glue who has the solid basics and crazy carrying stats. Denton the ball carrier to get over the gainline and big tackler. BOC the traditional breakdown merchant.

Backup of Williams, Evans and Mapalangi have all impressed for periods this season. All have the ability and level to step in at this level and show their worth.

For me the pack will be:
Genge, Polata-Nau, Cole, Mafi, Spencer, Denton, BOC, Kalamafoni

Bateman, Youngs, ???, Williams/Fitzgerald, Thompson

Feel it will be a big season for Evans next year, especially with BOC fitness issues, he will have plenty of game time. Be good to rotate the two like Youngs and Polata-Nau.
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

I wouldn't discard Wells too quickly,always impresses and criminally underused imo. He is a genuine brock too (lock/blindside). And I certainly hope the new additions don't push Evans out too,regardless of Thompson covering ability he is an 8 first and foremost and Evans and BOC should be our two front line open sides,watching England should tell you what happens when you mess about with unbalanced back rows!
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Evans is a quality player already with limited game time, if we let him leave or don't find a way of getting him on the pitch it will no doubt be to another clubs benefit.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

Rugbyflanker wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:00 pm I wouldn't discard Wells too quickly,always impresses and criminally underused imo. He is a genuine brock too (lock/blindside). And I certainly hope the new additions don't push Evans out too,regardless of Thompson covering ability he is an 8 first and foremost and Evans and BOC should be our two front line open sides,watching England should tell you what happens when you mess about with unbalanced back rows!
I'd prefer Wells to concentrate on a single position, probably lock.

A back-row of Kalimafoni, Evans, Thompson would be my preferred starting lineup with BOC on the bench. That said the back-row does seem to highly levels of attrition so I suspect there will be significant rotation.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Apparently Jimmy Stevens has signed for us next season. Decent backup considering he will be 3rd choice.
maire88
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by maire88 »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:55 am Apparently Jimmy Stevens has signed for us next season. Decent backup considering he will be 3rd choice.
I mentioned that about two pages ago but got ignored in the midst of the players drinking argument.....
Formerly hww27
Proud to have been the Tom Youngs Fan Club since 2010
Rhinos rule :smt002 :smt050
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Evans was not left out as much as some believe, illness and injury meant he was unavailable some of the time, he is a fine young player and should get more game time, hopefully there will be an interesting contest between him and the slightly younger Tommy Reffel for the openside position in the years to come.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Mafi?
Don't think we are out of the woods by a long chalk yet.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

johnthegriff wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:25 am Evans was not left out as much as some believe, illness and injury meant he was unavailable some of the time, he is a fine young player and should get more game time, hopefully there will be an interesting contest between him and the slightly younger Tommy Reffel for the openside position in the years to come.
Could see Reffell playing 6 aswell.

Also have Lavin, Gough and Smith coming through the U18 all look really promising.
TigerMac3
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by TigerMac3 »

Anyone know the latest re: Mafi? There was a lot of talk that he was signing, then he wasn’t, then he was but he broke his hand but all not heard anything for a while...
Loob19

Post by Loob19 »

maire88 wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:24 am
Leicestertinytiger wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:55 am Apparently Jimmy Stevens has signed for us next season. Decent backup considering he will be 3rd choice.
I mentioned that about two pages ago but got ignored in the midst of the players drinking argument.....
I noticed your original post 😀
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

TigerMac3 wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:31 am Anyone know the latest re: Mafi? There was a lot of talk that he was signing, then he wasn’t, then he was but he broke his hand but all not heard anything for a while...
With those already here and those announced I think the money would be better spent else where.
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

I'm with you Mark,what about a centre?!