LEICESTER TIGERS 2017/18 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 3!

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Knightonian

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2017/18 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 3!

Post by Knightonian »

If Malouf is moving on for money I completely understand from his perspective.

From a tigers point of view this will have been a real waste of development opportunity as we could have given Holmes a lot more game time
Stephen18
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Stephen18 »

jgriffin wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:12 am
According to my match travelling companion who went to the training session on Saturday, he was advised that Malouf unfortunately will not be a Tiger next year as he has been offered 3X his Tigers salary elsewhere but the Tiger official would not say where he was off too. If not Tigers then Edinburgh please. :smt010
Well if this is th case, i couldnt blame him for taking the money. Maybe they’ll retain Brady hes not been announced as going anywhere yet. Hes not had a good season this year with injuries but did well in his 1st season and is not as old as he looks. As I'd still rather we sign a top centre rather than another winger!
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I think Tigers are looking into developing Worth and Olowofela as centre options
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Voss confirmed on Tigers twitter
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

For me I wouldn’t be overly fussed if Malouf left. He’s poor postionally, not great under the high ball and whilst he can put in some massive hits, is also prone to trying to smash the other winger and getting bounced off half the time.

He’s a raw talent but would have preferred him to learn his trade more in the A League. I’ve never been convinced that his all round game is premiership standard and Holmes is a better finisher.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:56 am For me I wouldn’t be overly fussed if Malouf left. He’s poor postionally, not great under the high ball and whilst he can put in some massive hits, is also prone to trying to smash the other winger and getting bounced off half the time.

He’s a raw talent but would have preferred him to learn his trade more in the A League. I’ve never been convinced that his all round game is premiership standard and Holmes is a better finisher.
Agreed good strong runner powerful in the tackle who got off to a good start and they have stuck with him. IMHO Holmes is a better all rounder and Olofowela has shown more than enough to move up the ranks.
If he is being offered 3 times his salary then best of luck to him and I’d imagine it would be in France
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

By the looks of it this Voss is a bit like a light James Chisholm. Powerful and reasonably quick, we’ll see how he fares at Premiership level.

Also look strong in the tackle as well, if he wraps a back up he’s going backwards.

Also looks a decent operator too.

Good signing Tigers
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

While I'd be delighted to see players with the quality of Wade or Cordero joining Tigers, I'm not sure that they money they would demand is best spent on another winger. Even if Malouf goes, I don't see it as an area we're weak in. If money is to be spent on the backs, I would rather see some strong depth options at centre or fullback.

I mean, how many matches have Tigers lost this season because our wingers aren't good enough? None, in my opinion.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Tiglon wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:43 pm While I'd be delighted to see players with the quality of Wade or Cordero joining Tigers, I'm not sure that they money they would demand is best spent on another winger. Even if Malouf goes, I don't see it as an area we're weak in. If money is to be spent on the backs, I would rather see some strong depth options at centre or fullback.

I mean, how many matches have Tigers lost this season because our wingers aren't good enough? None, in my opinion.
Cordero does play 15 TBF.
POSTIGER
Super User
Super User

Post by POSTIGER »

A high quality centre, ideally someone who can do a job at 12 or 13 should be our top priority imho.
I saw Marika Vunibaka play
Flash

Post by Flash »

I'd be happy with either a 10/12 or a 12/13. Is Pakalani sticking around? If so that should be 15 covered.

I'd prefer any spare cap to be more earmarked for the forwards.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

After Mafi and Cortes I would be surprised if we sign anymore forwards. (Maybe a LH and some cheap project signings like Voss).
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

Flash wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:44 pm I'd be happy with either a 10/12 or a 12/13. Is Pakalani sticking around? If so that should be 15 covered.
Agree, Pakalani would cover Veianu at fullback, and May/Holmes/Thompstone on the wings, with further depth from young players like Aspland-Robinson (maybe) and Olowofela.
Sounds like Worth is being lined up as centre depth, but agree a 10/12 if Toomua stays at centre or a 12/13 if Toomua is earmarked as 10 option. Centre has been an ongoing issue.

RagingBull wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:38 pm After Mafi and Cortes I would be surprised if we sign anymore forwards. (Maybe a LH and some cheap project signings like Voss).
If both Traynor and Baumann go, one LH is probably needed. With Genge and Bateman front runners for matchday squad, plus Gigena on the fringe, no need for a big name signing here.
Equally, you'd have to think if both Mulipola and Cilliers follow Baumann and Betts out the door, there's room for signings here, even on top of Cortes. If one or both stay, its less of an issue.

Here's where you'd hope Bakewell may have some insight from Bristol's games this year, some Voss type project from the championship, early twenties player with promise.
Stephen18
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Stephen18 »

I have just read Palma-Newport been released by bath, at 27 he might make a useful 3rd choice prop not sure what side he is.
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

Palma-Newport is a Tight Head.