LEICESTER TIGERS 2017/18 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 3!

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

POSTIGER
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2017/18 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 3!

Post by POSTIGER »

RagingBull wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:18 am Heard this morning that Ryan might be off too.
Without wishing to be rude, that wouldn't be much of a loss would it? Didn't impress at all before his injury.
I saw Marika Vunibaka play
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

POSTIGER wrote: Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:30 pm
RagingBull wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:18 am Heard this morning that Ryan might be off too.
Without wishing to be rude, that wouldn't be much of a loss would it? Didn't impress at all before his injury.
That's been spoken about on other forums. Not a great loss IMHO, I wish him well if he does leave for pastures new.
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

As others have pointed out signing mature experienced players for a couple of seasons buys time for our promising crop of youngsters to develop and earn a first team spot. Many of us have stated we want to see our own produced players appearing for us and this could be the way forward.
Stu_F
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Stu_F »

With Cuthbert apparently confirmed as going to Exeter where does this leave Cordero who is only on s temporary contract until end of season and who, allegedly, O'Connor was very keen on before he went to Exeter in the first place, or was our "interest" merely for a short term deal too?
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Cordero or Wade would be a massive upgrade at 14. With Holmes, Thompstone and Malouf providing able back up.

Expect though maybe Thompstone or Malouf to be leaving if one is brought in. Holmes for me is the best of 3 and the best finisher, which is the main job of a winger.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:10 pm Cordero or Wade would be a massive upgrade at 14. With Holmes, Thompstone and Malouf providing able back up.

Expect though maybe Thompstone or Malouf to be leaving if one is brought in. Holmes for me is the best of 3 and the best finisher, which is the main job of a winger.
Malouf has loads of talent, tackles well and a huge turn of speed. Holmes is AP standard as is Thommo. Need another wing - well yes if we are looking at converting Malouf to another position......
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

I've just come home from work and been proudly told by she who just be obeyed that we've signed two new players. Tight head Gaston Cortez from Bristol at the end of the season and a lad called Voss from Jersey, who is a 19 stone 2nd row and he's signed immediately to replace Barrow.

These are on 'tinternet, but yet to find the site (possibly from the book of face). I'll post a link when I find it.
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

Google search points to a page on Tigers website. Following the link results in page not found. Could be initial release was a little premature
I'm not cynical just experienced
tigertrev

Post by tigertrev »

Voss and Cortez were mentioned in The Rugby Paper.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

tigertrev wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:49 pm Voss and Cortez were mentioned in The Rugby Paper.
...and by me on this thread a page or so ago! :smt003
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Fingers crossed for some news soon. Mafi, Mulipola extending his stay and a winger of international quality!!!
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:18 pm Fingers crossed for some news soon. Mafi, Mulipola extending his stay and a winger of international quality!!!
Thommo, May, Malouf, Holmes and Aspland-Robinson look set to be the options for next season. Add in some of the lads coming through and we're covered.

I suspect we'll see more resources aimed at the front row before anywhere else.
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

May, Thompstone, Malouf, Holmes and (assuming he is coming) Aspland-Robinson, that's a more than capable bunch of wingers.

I have more concerns over 10/12/13. If Toomua is to be used more as 10, then we need a genuine frontline 12. When fit Owen and Tuilagi are quality options in the centres, but fitness issues have dogged both, we need to assess whether we need another option there. Are Smith and Tait capable of being frontline centres?
Fullback, Veianu, great, but who is his backup? Tait? Will Pakalani get another season? Worth? Olowofela?

Front row, Traynor, Baumann and maybe even Rizzo need replacing. What are the plans for Cilliers and Mulipola, because they'll need replacing also? Have we got a project prop to replace Betts, is Heyes close enough to being trusted as that player?

Here's hoping for a popcorn day coming soon. Mafi? Aspland-Robinson? Voss? Cortes? Mulipola? Cilliers? Malouf? Pakalani?
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Now Mulipola is fit and getting better with each game, we need to tie him down with another contract, hopefully 2 years.

That’s 4 frontline props in Genge, Bateman, Cole and Mulipola. Gigena as backup and therefore missing another backup TH. Cilliers, Rizzo, Baumann and Traynor all leaving I think is good business. Although sad to see Cilliera going, get the impression he wants to return to SA.

Whilst I rate Thompstone and Malouf, if the opportunity came along to sign a better winger I think we should take it. If we want to be the best in Europe then in the back line no.14 is the weakest position currently.

Thompstone whilst solid seems to have lost some of his attacking edge. Malouf is very raw and is prone to giving away penalties as at the weekend. Hopefully he will grow into the 15 man game.
AngusMcCoatup
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by AngusMcCoatup »

jgriffin wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:12 am Malouf for me is a keeper. He has talent that needs honing as he gets his head further around 15-a-side. While he plays winger, there seems to be potential for outside centre, or indeed FB. He has pace and finishes, is a good tackler, a kick chaser and has an edge over some backs from his experience in 7s. As long as his IQ is not limited :smt003 I would expect him to flower next season, so a 2 year contract would make sense.
According to my match travelling companion who went to the training session on Saturday, he was advised that Malouf unfortunately will not be a Tiger next year as he has been offered 3X his Tigers salary elsewhere but the Tiger official would not say where he was off too. If not Tigers then Edinburgh please. :smt010
To the world you may be just one person.
But to that one person you may be the world!