LEICESTER TIGERS 2017/18 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 3!

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2017/18 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 3!

Post by RagingBull »

sapajo wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:42 pm
Tigerbeat wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:34 pm
drc_007 wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:49 pm A top class forwards coach would be top of my list.
Apparently may be announced this week!
What a forwards coach or a top class forwards coach ? There is a big difference and given Tigers record of poor recruitment I fear the former.
mark Bakewell apparently.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Is he a top forwards coach ?
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

sapajo wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:08 am Is he a top forwards coach ?
I think he was well respected at Bath with the remnants of their all-conquering pack, experience with a French pack (that’s got to be good surely) and was with Japanese team Suntory Sungoliaths for two years before coming to Bristol. Could be a top acquisition, we will have to wait and see.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

wormus wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:10 pm If Barrow is off and I have always rated him since he arrived, but has been out for some time now then I would suggest we look to -
Tom Franklin of Opotiki near Whakatane NZ. At present playing under Aaron Mauger's Highlanders and Bay of Plenty. This lock was an understudy for Sam Whitelock and cannot break into the AB's team although an AB Squad member 2017 for the Championship. "Very mobile, strong, intelligent player and quick thinking " as my Chiefs friend advised- he is like Damian McKenzie was, looking to better himself in Europe. Yes he is 27 but full of potential but there is no route to the AB's with Brodie & Sam in the team.
- http://thehighlanders.co.nz/our-team/pl ... m-franklin
- http://www.nzherald.co.nz/bay-of-plenty ... d=11788563
:smt023 :smt023
A good shout wormus, I’d have Exeter’s Mitch Lees that would be a really good signing and we wouldn’t have to break the bank for him
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

sapajo wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:08 am Is he a top forwards coach ?
Has worked with Steve Hansen, Robbie Deans and Eddie Jones so must be well thought of I guess.
JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JackFlashJonny »

This has all become a little embarrassing really...the club is in free fall if we are honest and we are all just speculating wildly on players we may sign next season because this season is a write off already and we are only in Feb :smt009

In terms of talent and especially talent coming through we have rarely seen such a barren spell imo :smt012
MurphysLaw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MurphysLaw »

[quote=JackFlashJonny post_id=684792 time=1518427586 user_id=10545]
This has all become a little embarrassing really...the club is in free fall if we are honest and we are all just speculating wildly on players we may sign next season because this season is a write off already and we are only in Feb :smt009

In terms of talent and especially talent coming through we have rarely seen such a barren spell imo :smt012
[/quote]

We do seem to be in a pickle, and this 'fantasy player ' speculation at this time of the season is indicative of this season being a write off already. However, I am not sure I totally agree with the talent comment. Our representatives in the u20s show promise. It's early days, but there are signs that the partnership with Loughborough, and the reorganisation and coaching improvements at the Academy seem to be working much better than before. A glimmer of light amongst the gloom, perhaps!
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

JackFlashJonny wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:26 am This has all become a little embarrassing really...the club is in free fall if we are honest and we are all just speculating wildly on players we may sign next season because this season is a write off already and we are only in Feb :smt009

TBH everyone speculates wildly on players by now regardless of league position.

About players coming up:
6 current U20's internationals in the development squad.
A league had a good run won all but 2 games so far.
U18's unbeaten in the league and nailed on the top spot of their conference with a game to play.
TTRITH
Super User
Super User

Post by TTRITH »

RagingBull wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:43 am
JackFlashJonny wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:26 am This has all become a little embarrassing really...the club is in free fall if we are honest and we are all just speculating wildly on players we may sign next season because this season is a write off already and we are only in Feb :smt009

TBH everyone speculates wildly on players by now regardless of league position.

About players coming up:
6 current U20's internationals in the development squad.
A league had a good run won all but 2 games so far.
U18's unbeaten in the league and nailed on the top spot of their conference with a game to play.
Now if only the first team wasn't in such good form that we can't play them.

:smt030 :smt030
Richard Burnett
:axe: :smt100
JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JackFlashJonny »

We seem to have had many players in the U20's for years now but almost none have stepped up...Wells is almost there and Simmons looks good...

But if you look at what Wasps, Exeter and Sarries are bringing up and have done in recent years we are lightyears behind... :smt012
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Cornell du preez leaving Edinburgh end of season by the sounds of it.

Would be a good pick up IMO, and shouldn't cost much at all.
LondonRich
Tiger Cub

Post by LondonRich »

Cornell Du Preez was completely absent last week vs Wales, and dropped out of the entire match day squad for this week vs France.
I'm a Scotland fan, I'd love for more Scottish internationals at Leicester, but he is not one of them. If Edinburgh are deeming him surplus to requirements (currently a mediocre Pro14 team - although I can see the improvement Cockers has made already) then I can't see what value he will provide to Leicester.

That being said, I don't know a great deal about his character. Maybe he's an absolute dog of a competitor and would fit in well. You never know. If there is a recruitment strategy (which presumably ties into a playing/performance strategy) it would be interesting to see if the coaching staff would be willing to discuss at the upcoming meeting.

E.g. - we want to build a mobile pack to play a high tempo, expansive game.
Flash

Post by Flash »

JackFlashJonny wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:38 pm We seem to have had many players in the U20's for years now but almost none have stepped up...Wells is almost there and Simmons looks good...

But if you look at what Wasps, Exeter and Sarries are bringing up and have done in recent years we are lightyears behind... :smt012
We do seem more reluctant to throw youngsters out in the premiership.

Also I saw some comments from Rob Baxter about their recruitment and he said the take I to account the players coming through the ranks when deciding on the incoming players, eg plugging a gap with an older player to not block the path for the developing player. Not sure we're to great on this front tbh.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

RagingBull wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:01 pm Cornell du preez leaving Edinburgh end of season by the sounds of it.

Would be a good pick up IMO, and shouldn't cost much at all.
Yes but I have him over A. Mafi or Taufua? No
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Flash wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:50 pm
JackFlashJonny wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:38 pm We seem to have had many players in the U20's for years now but almost none have stepped up...Wells is almost there and Simmons looks good...

We do seem more reluctant to throw youngsters out in the premiership.

Also I saw some comments from Rob Baxter about their recruitment and he said the take I to account the players coming through the ranks when deciding on the incoming players, eg plugging a gap with an older player to not block the path for the developing player. Not sure we're to great on this front tbh.
For the first time in a while we seem to have a crop of young talent as opposed to one player coming through. I too fear that the players of potential will be marginalised and may leave.

MOC showed no particular interest in developing them last time he was here and doesn't seem keen thus time either.