The real reason* Tigers didn't qualify for ECC quarter final

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

ellis9
Super User
Super User

The real reason* Tigers didn't qualify for ECC quarter final

Post by ellis9 »

With the Champions Cup quarter final kick off dates and times now released, I reckon the real reason we didn't get out of our group was because we had seen what times would be chosen for the quarter finals.

One kicks off on Good Friday at 17:30
One kicks off on Saturday at 15:15
One kicks off at 14:00 on Easter Sunday
One kicks off at 15:30 on Easter Sunday

So by going on fans previous comments on here around kick off dates being on religious and family days and how games should be on Saturdays at 3pm, it's a good job we didn't make it to the quarter finals!

*For those with no sense of humour, I know this isn't the real reason Tigers didn't qualify. It's because they weren't good enough.
Last edited by ellis9 on Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Roly
Super User
Super User

Re: The real reason Tigers didn't qualify for ECC quarter final

Post by Roly »

And there was me thinking it was because Tigers are (for several reasons) suffering their worst run of form since Pontius was a pilot.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Roly wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:51 pm And there was me thinking it was because Tigers are (for several reasons) suffering their worst run of form since Pontius was a pilot.
There was me thinking people had a sense of humour! :smt023
AngusMcCoatup
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by AngusMcCoatup »

Roly wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:51 pm And there was me thinking it was because Tigers are (for several reasons) suffering their worst run of form since Pontius was a pilot.
Pontius is still a pilot at Ryanair working out of Knock! :smt004
To the world you may be just one person.
But to that one person you may be the world!
Stu_F
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Stu_F »

AngusMcCoatup wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:02 pm
Pontius is still a pilot at Ryanair working out of Knock! :smt004
paying for his own training and uniform!
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

ellis9 wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:55 pm
Some on here have their agendas (and most probably know mine) - but the underlying current of your OP barely disguises yours.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

ellis9 wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:55 pm
Now Ellis, you know the only time Roly makes any pretence at a sense of humour is when he thinks he's the one displaying the wit.
By the way, have you seen who RugbyWorld have nominated as the best player in the world in their top 100?
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Re: The real reason* Tigers didn't qualify for ECC quarter final

Post by ellis9 »

Ben Youngs? George Ford?
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

ellis9 wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:38 pm Ben Youngs? George Ford?
They're 57 and 69 respectively. Number one, somewhat bizarrely I'll admit, is your mate Owen Farrell :smt003
Dr H Flashman MBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dr H Flashman MBE »

I wonder what the criteria is for that award? Do a load of high level rugby faterinty sit around with a few bottles wine thinking about this??? Or is it voted for by players? If it’s the players or and coaches it seems to have more gravitas...
There is never any points for 2nd place...
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

h's dad wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:42 pm
They're 57 and 69 respectively. Number one, somewhat bizarrely I'll admit, is your mate Owen Farrell :smt003
Nothing bizarre about it, unless you think that they are all wrong including the Lions, England and Saracens!
Farrell successfully plays 10 and 12 at all levels and kicks goals under pressure better than anyone, he is a leader and a winner, back to back Champions Cup winner etc.
It's who IS the best player, and not who talks a good game and could be!
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

Great player OF but worlds best player? Not for me,I'd pick Beaudan Barrett over him everyday of the week and twice on a Sunday. Henshaw,Sonny Bill,Serfontein,a prime Toomua,plenty of better IC too.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Rugbyflanker wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:24 pm Great player OF but worlds best player? Not for me,I'd pick Beaudan Barrett over him everyday of the week and twice on a Sunday. Henshaw,Sonny Bill,Serfontein,a prime Toomua,plenty of better IC too.
Fantastic player Beaudan Barrett, and the destination of the 2019 World Cup could determine Rugby World's next top rated player.
Farrell though playing 10 and 12 as he does is simply unmatched in my opinion and crucially he currently has the trophies to go with it, the driving influence on those around him is superb in my opinion, the kind of leadership that some can only dream of presently!
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

OF is definitely a test match animal! Misses a lot of tackles but to be fair to him is played in a system for both club and country where the primary aim is to rush up and put immediate pressure on the ball carrier so does go high
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

BFG wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:00 pm
h's dad wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:42 pm
Nothing bizarre about it, unless you think that they are all wrong including the Lions, England and Saracens!
Farrell successfully plays 10 and 12 at all levels and kicks goals under pressure better than anyone, he is a leader and a winner, back to back Champions Cup winner etc.
It's who IS the best player, and not who talks a good game and could be!
I'm not an expert but I'm sure not all the contenders for best player are qualified for Lions and England and not all would be prepared to move to Saracens for various reasons.
BFG wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:00 pmand the destination of the 2019 World Cup could determine Rugby World's next top rated player.
Sound logic equally applicable to the 2015 World Cup. Didn't see Farrell on the teamsheet.

Farrell may be a serious contender for top English player, but best in the world? Yes, bizarre.