Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Re: Mallinder the very worst tackler

Post by Tiglon »

BFG wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:02 am
Roly wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:39 am
BFG wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:31 am

I'm sure many will reserve judgement, but selection is just starting to make a bit of a mockery of things in some areas, when other players are told that they have important things to work on to improve and a player who can't tackle properly is selected!
But, one thing is for sure, either EJ is incompetent, or he sees something you don't.

I think I know which one its going to be.
You already know from previous commenting that I rate his attacking play Roly, but why would that stop the snide just for the sake of it! :smt009
Btw, I'd be happy to hear what is seen in Francis, Hartley I get even if has eaten too many pies, but Francis! :smt017
I agree some of EJ's selections aren't people I would go with yet, but until England stop winning I'll join Roly in giving him the benefit of the doubt every time!

EJ seems much more willing than his predecessors to bring a wider range of prospects into England squads to see how they fit in and to watch them in training, and that can only be a good thing for strength in depth.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

It's one thing to bring a promising player into the squad but another to pick him for the international matches.

He will probably come away with instructions on where the England coaches feel he needs to develop. Something that may be easier to accept from an outsider that from his Dad. Will he ever be good enough to play as a senior is another matter.

Too many players seem to come up through the junior ranks with hopeless tacking skills - presumably because they were the big kids at age group level and could get away with poor technique - indeed poor technique may be a benefit against a weaker player in that you can hold them up or dislodge the ball.
Owen Farrell is another example of a player who gets bundled over when he tackles front on (less so these days) but is a legacy of junior rugby. To be fair that seems to have reduced in recent times.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Tiglon wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:34 am
Roly wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:39 am

But, one thing is for sure, either EJ is incompetent, or he sees something you don't.

I think I know which one its going to be.
You already know from previous commenting that I rate his attacking play Roly, but why would that stop the snide just for the sake of it! :smt009
Btw, I'd be happy to hear what is seen in Francis, Hartley I get even if has eaten too many pies, but Francis! :smt017
I agree some of EJ's selections aren't people I would go with yet, but until England stop winning I'll join Roly in giving him the benefit of the doubt every time!

EJ seems much more willing than his predecessors to bring a wider range of prospects into England squads to see how they fit in and to watch them in training, and that can only be a good thing for strength in depth.
That's fine, I also give the benefit of the doubt, but there is doubt!
I think Jones is fortunate to possess a group of players who have come through more recently who are extremely good, he is not the difference in my opinion, the players are, and those who found and brought those players through!
However my doubts are that I do think that he will do his best to lose a World Cup, he often states a side needs several world class players to win a World Cup, well in my opinion also having several average players could also lose a World Cup!
You pick the best players if you want to maximise the World Cup potential in my opinion!
It's not about fitting in now, it's about it fitting in at the right time!
England will cruise until they don't!
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

BFG wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:30 am

I think Jones is fortunate to possess a group of players who have come through more recently who are extremely good, he is not the difference in my opinion, the players are, and those who found and brought those players through!
However my doubts are that I do think that he will do his best to lose a World Cup, he often states a side needs several world class players to win a World Cup, well in my opinion also having several average players could also lose a World Cup!
You pick the best players if you want to maximise the World Cup potential in my opinion!
You're right about that bit, which is surely why some players are being picked in the squad now, even though they are probably not yet at the standard. He's hoping they will be in 2019, and is giving them exposure to an international level environment to help them get there.

Why on earth do you think EJ would do his best to lose? :smt017
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Tiglon wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:59 am
BFG wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:30 am

You're right about that bit, which is surely why some players are being picked in the squad now, even though they are probably not yet at the standard. He's hoping they will be in 2019, and is giving them exposure to an international level environment to help them get there.

Why on earth do you think EJ would do his best to lose?
IMO he is wasting time picking young players if he is not going to give them plenty of caps by 2019, and it's possible that we may have already passed the point where they can get enough caps, in particular up front in the front row and flankers.
I think we will get to the World Cup and have some average players with lots of caps and some really good potential players with hardly any caps!