Absolutely Worthless Cup

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Absolutely Worthless Cup

Post by fortysix »

I hear a little whisper that MOC might try and salvage something by playing a number of first teamers----------- who he did not pick against Castres----------in the futile Cup.

If he does that, when Tigers reputation descended into the floor with the embarrassing side he churned out in France, then that will be the ultimate slap in the face for Tigers fans.

Anyone who plays in the AWC should be a 2/3rd team member.
G.K
Super User
Super User

Re: Absolutely Worthless Cup

Post by G.K »

I disagree that it's worthless and whilst it should provide an opportunity to bring new players through Tigers should aways go out to win every game. As. as I've said previouly, Tigers should concentrate on winning the LV= Cup this year and the Challenge Cup next year.
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Didn't we play the likes of Betham, Genge, Kitchener, Williams, McCaffrey, Burns, Youngs, Barrow, Hamilton, O.Williams in the Worthless cup last year?

It wouldn't be anything new.

Even Johan Ackermann saviour of Glouscester (and who many want here) played a team of.
1. Ruskin, 2. Hibbard, 3. Afoa
4. Slater, 5. Thursh
6. Polledri, 7. Rowan, 8. Ludlow
9. Heinz, 10. Burns
12. 36, 13. Trinder
11. Thorely, 14. Purdy, 15. Hudson
In the last AWC game.

Maybe some of our first teamers could do with a no pressure game to work out combos and get rid of some rust of something.
norfolkexpat
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by norfolkexpat »

Think the point is---- why did he not play Tuilagi Toomau and Co who should take 2 Game rest in the Anglo Welsh and degrade Tigers reputation as well as cheating the supporters who had paid a fortune to go to France. What the Board should do is offer to recompense all who went to Castres.
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

norfolkexpat wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:07 pmcheating the supporters
Why is it cheating supporters? As a season ticket holder I pay to enter the ground and watch whichever players are selected by the coaches - like it or not.

It may be disappointing but not cheating in my book.
norfolkexpat wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:07 pmWhat the Board should do is offer to recompense all who went to Castres.
Under no obligation to do so. However, I believe that on one social media outlet a user has posted the content of an 'alleged' Email inviting the recipient to a training session and match prep with players as a small recompense for the person who travelled. Whether this is genuine or not, I do not know, whether it applies to that individual or to all, I do not know.
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I think it’s sensible to put some first team players into AWC in order to get a one trophy this season but still I want to see a development team out now challenging for first team places
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

I don't see much point in aiming to win the AWC - the trophy itself is pretty worthless.

This season it should be used in whichever way helps our league form the most - whether it is resting our first team players who are tired, or giving them more game time to recover confidence.

Getting a top 6 finish and trying to build the team for next season are all that matter in the next 6 months.
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

Tiglon wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:51 am
Getting a top 6 finish and trying to build the team for next season are all that matter in the next 6 months.
You are absolutely right but I don't think MoC and co are capable of focussing the team intelligently, in selection or otherwise.

They're like a cat who's had 3 clockwork mice put in front of it.
Last edited by Roly on Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
MikeR
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by MikeR »

It makes sense to try to win these games , to build confidence and to prepare the combinations for the more important games ahead in the 6 Nations period . However - will MOC get those combinations and selections right - I very much doubt it . If Joe Ford is in the Squad for Sunday we will know that lessons from Worcester have not been learnt .
Nostradamus

Post by Nostradamus »

As one who went to Castres, yes I was disappointed but not as disappointed as I would have been if Manu or Toomua had played and picked up an injury in a game that means very little, just as I would be if they picked up an injury this Sunday so I hope they don't play this week either.
Our priority for the rest of this season is the 9 games left in the Premiership, which brings me to the Absolutely Worthless Cup.
How do we use it to our best advantage? - As a springboard into those 9 games.
This is when we should play Manu & Toomua to get the team back to winning ways and restore some confidence particularly in those last 5 meters.
Dropping Joe Ford won't show whether any lessons have been learnt. He is the one who needs to show US that he has learnt and better place kicking at the right moment in time would go a long way.
Racing are going to come on Sunday with a big team looking for 5 points. Everybody needs to be realistic about the outcome, all you can ask is that our 23 play heart and soul to the best of their ability.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

AWC does not give access to Europe so very much a way of getting 2nds experience, and also gives a rest later in the season if we don't qualify. Our ONLY focus should be top 6.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

I don't think the competition worthless and think saying that is an insult to the sponsors, organisers and players. I DO think it is a development competition and should be used as such.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Even if worthless it was beyond Tigers’s budget.
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

fortysix wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:52 pm I hear a little whisper that MOC might try and salvage something by playing a number of first teamers----------- who he did not pick against Castres----------in the futile Cup.

If he does that, when Tigers reputation descended into the floor with the embarrassing side he churned out in France, then that will be the ultimate slap in the face for Tigers fans.

Indeed, so worthless a competition, that Tigers treated it with the contempt it deserves and failed to exit the group stages.

Tigers - the current holders of the trophy.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Roly wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:47 am
fortysix wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:52 pm I hear a little whisper that MOC might try and salvage something by playing a number of first teamers----------- who he did not pick against Castres----------in the futile Cup.

Indeed, so worthless a competition, that Tigers treated it with the contempt it deserves and failed to exit the group stages.

Tigers - the current holders of the trophy.
Doing well in the competition has value if it's done with roughly about 75% young players complimented by rusty seniors who need a bit of game time through just a lack of it or returning from injury in my opinion.
I don't know the last side to do that, possibly Exeter!
It's still invaluable to players like Simmonds though who did fairly well in a struggling team which is a mark of individual class in my opinion, scored twice and held up a few times, add in better senior players to affect the touch down and those attempts held up could well be turned into points, the lad could've had five tries surrounded by better players!