Why not us?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

upandunder
Top Cat
Top Cat

Why not us?

Post by upandunder »

I see Wasps have just attracted a world class fly half. We are lucky we already have one or two but why can’t we attract a bulldozer of a no 8 with good hands? ( oh yes, we gave the last one away to Exeter). Regardless of our current performance we are a great club with a wonderful pedigree so how come those that are supposed to recruit appear to be ineffective. Should we not be using all our contacts with agents etc to land a big fish or fishes. Someone like Kieron Reid for example or perhaps one of the South Africans who seem to be gobbled up by the French. We have great backs some good front row forwards, the odd back row but no stand out ball carrying second row or number eight. Someone is clearly not held accountable for this lack of recruitment
Time to get a grip and deliver to the club and the fans who deserve better.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Re: Why not us?

Post by JP14 »

Our actual position at the end of the season will determine whether a top-class player will be interested
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

We’ve had players who where interested but certain people didn’t want them.

That being said the likes of le Roux etc are nearly on 200K more than our highest paid player.
upandunder
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by upandunder »

Good point RB but why is it that Tigers always plead poverty. I can’t believe that Wasps have more available cash than Tigers. If that is the case are we paying over the top for other squad members?
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

I’ve always thought that, if we honestly are paying up to the cap with no spare cash, then there are 100% players who had Tigers over a barrel and are being paid too much.

Other clubs seem to manage the cap much better than we do. Plus we should get discounts for players through the academy.
upandunder
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by upandunder »

There is complete lack of transparency when it comes to salaries. Why not publish? If the club have got it right what’s to lose? Players should be mature enough to recognise their respective value. Does the board have a salaries committee or are they still playing amateur hour.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

upandunder wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:45 pm There is complete lack of transparency when it comes to salaries. Why not publish? If the club have got it right what’s to lose? Players should be mature enough to recognise their respective value. Does the board have a salaries committee or are they still playing amateur hour.

How much do you make?
Clowbeck
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Clowbeck »

upandunder wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:33 pm I see Wasps have just attracted a world class fly half.
Lots of rumours emanating from Wasps at present regards a likely clear out before the start of next season with some big names in the mix to. Signing Sopoaga doesn't equal instant results, it could be Wasps have a tougher year next year should they go for wholesale changes.
upandunder
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by upandunder »

Same as you Sarky.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Are we as rich as the club like to make out? All other indications point to us not being. Especially with the always on the cheap side coaching set up, heaven forbid we spend any money.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

A 'marquee number 8' or 'world class number 8' is a phrase often thrown around but how many are there about currently?

Read - NZ skipper, going nowhere
Vunipola - Playing in a winning set-up, alongside his brother, presumably very well paid, going nowhere
Isa - Has forgone tests for over a year already to join Toulon, can Tigers compete with that salary?
Vermuelen - Again can we compete with Toulon paychecks?
Picamoles - A huge impact in his one season at Saints but returned swiftly to Top 14 wages
Faletau - Excellent player, frequently on international duty, often injured, a worthwhile investment? Could we match rumoured dual contract?
Stander - Could we offer him more than IRU and Munster combined?

On the note of players I once thought realistic:

Strauss - Should have been a prime target when moving from Scotland. Ended up on very good money at Sale, but I suspect Tigers would have been able to compete had stops been pulled out similar to Ford or May.

Gorgodze - A great player in his day but at 33 likely past the point of major investment. There were rumours he wanted out of Toulon a few seasons ago when bench warming and I dearly wanted Tigers to throw the kitchen sink at making it happen!

(Other 8's would of course improve the current side but just making a point about some wanting a quick fix by instantly buying in finished products at lock and number 8)
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

upandunder wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:45 pm There is complete lack of transparency when it comes to salaries. Why not publish? If the club have got it right what’s to lose? Players should be mature enough to recognise their respective value. Does the board have a salaries committee or are they still playing amateur hour.
Clubs don’t release pay checks or when the contract runs out to stop clubs becoming interested at the end of the deal
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

ABClub wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:43 pm A 'marquee number 8' or 'world class number 8' is a phrase often thrown around but how many are there about currently?

Read - NZ skipper, going nowhere
Vunipola - Playing in a winning set-up, alongside his brother, presumably very well paid, going nowhere
Isa - Has forgone tests for over a year already to join Toulon, can Tigers compete with that salary?
Vermuelen - Again can we compete with Toulon paychecks?
Picamoles - A huge impact in his one season at Saints but returned swiftly to Top 14 wages
Faletau - Excellent player, frequently on international duty, often injured, a worthwhile investment? Could we match rumoured dual contract?
Stander - Could we offer him more than IRU and Munster combined?

On the note of players I once thought realistic:

Strauss - Should have been a prime target when moving from Scotland. Ended up on very good money at Sale, but I suspect Tigers would have been able to compete had stops been pulled out similar to Ford or May.

Gorgodze - A great player in his day but at 33 likely past the point of major investment. There were rumours he wanted out of Toulon a few seasons ago when bench warming and I dearly wanted Tigers to throw the kitchen sink at making it happen!

(Other 8's would of course improve the current side but just making a point about some wanting a quick fix by instantly buying in finished products at lock and number 8)
Ameniki Mafi from Japan, I think we could definitely compete with the Rebels salary wise
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:49 pm Are we as rich as the club like to make out? All other indications point to us not being. Especially with the always on the cheap side coaching set up, heaven forbid we spend any money.
I can think of at least two players that Tigers have being paid at least £500k a year between them to keep the Physio busy for the last three years.
Last edited by Roly on Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

I never understood why more big clubs weren’t in the races for Strauss. Would have been a good signing for us and an upgrade on what we currently have.