Exeter Chiefs the new (old?) Tigers?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Super User
Super User

Re: Exeter Chiefs the new (old?) Tigers?

Post by 4071 »

Crumblies wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:46 pm
mol2 wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:29 pm
jgriffin wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:27 pm OK do you mean me? My info comes from inside Chiefs and from fans including my brother. TTTE was a lazy poacher at Tigers and started that way at Chiefs until he was brought up short following 'discussions'. Thereafter his work ethic FOR THE TEAM improved. The fault at Tigers was his and Cockers for not kicking his butt hard enough or sacking him.
Or was it that his face didn’t fit when he opted to play for England? Funny that in spite of being a lazy poacher his performances on the pitch for Tigers earned him an international call up.

Or was it that he just wasn’t Jordan Crane? Strange that being treated as a bench 6/8 when frankly pretty ordinary players playing ahead of him would be pretty demotivating. Is that laziness or acceptance that you have been sidelined by your club?
IMHO and from my recollection of history it was because a certain DOR decided to throw a wobbly and be downright vindictive when Waldrum declared his availability for England. This was a prime example in my view of why he should never have had the DOR role. If his view was that Tigers had recruited TTE from NZ because he wasn’t going to gain international honours with the All Blacks, only for him to go missing with England for much of the Season, then fine, come right out and say so and move him on. But to ostracise the bloke, tie him to a contract and stick him on the bench for a season and a half behind Jordan Crane, was just petty and vindictive and not worthy of a DOR, and not likely to win him or the club respect amongst other players. Another thing we are probably paying for now.
That's not what happened, though. Whilst I think Cockers was wrong to sideline Waldrom, he did it for rugby reasons and not vindictiveness.

Waldrom made himself available for England fairly early, and even got a call-up to the 2011 WC squad. Yet he was still first choice at Tigers through the 2011-12 season and most of the 2012-13 season. The reason he got sidelined was nothing to do with his very short-lived England career (4 caps?), it was that Cockerill didn't want what he offered.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Thanks for some sanity in the discussion. I can only repeat what I was told about Chiefs, and considering that all but one of my family live in Exe, one is an STC and another a regular, and one of our mutual friends actually works for the club and knows the players well enough to have them round to his place for coffee, go to parties, a wedding etc etc., not a bad source. I think TTTE did not fit for various reasons, not all his fault, but his attitude to training and food was legendary. I liked his play and preferred him to Crane BTW.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Tiger_in_Birmingham
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tiger_in_Birmingham »

jgriffin wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:20 pm Thanks for some sanity in the discussion. I can only repeat what I was told about Chiefs, and considering that all but one of my family live in Exe, one is an STC and another a regular, and one of our mutual friends actually works for the club and knows the players well enough to have them round to his place for coffee, go to parties, a wedding etc etc., not a bad source. I think TTTE did not fit for various reasons, not all his fault, but his attitude to training and food was legendary. I liked his play and preferred him to Crane BTW.
I think a lot of people look back and make a judgement of Waldrom vs Crane.

I think Tigers always did better with both of them on the park. Crane often took the first contact & drew in 2 defenders leaving half a gap for Waldrom to exploit.

I don't remember Waldrom having many stand out games when he played without Crane.
Crumblies
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Crumblies »

4071 wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:16 pm
That's not what happened, though. Whilst I think Cockers was wrong to sideline Waldrom, he did it for rugby reasons and not vindictiveness.

Waldrom made himself available for England fairly early, and even got a call-up to the 2011 WC squad. Yet he was still first choice at Tigers through the 2011-12 season and most of the 2012-13 season. The reason he got sidelined was nothing to do with his very short-lived England career (4 caps?), it was that Cockerill didn't want what he offered.
Not my recollection or perception 4071 but you know I fully respect your opinion and balanced logical argument.

But even taking your version to be the correct one, I think we both would agree that events have gone on to show that RC’s treatment of Waldrum was an example of poor judgement and poor man management. Not what one would expect from a DOR at the ‘top club’ in England.
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

Given the game at Glasgow, the Chiefs look like the Tigers in the last ERC! Maybe MOC should be given a tape of this game to show the Tigers how all 15 can interplay?
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Just watched their game against Glasgow, some nice tries!
Glasgow capitalising on a penalty try and resulting sin bin period for Exeter, 21 points during that spell, but the Chiefs were robbed by some dodgy refereeing in the final five minutes, a turnover for Glasgow with hands clearly all over the floor but in particular Simmons (who was superb) broke away on 77 minutes then slipped and whilst on the floor a Glasgow player grabbed his ankle and lifted his leg whilst he was on the floor to stop him getting up and going again.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

BFG wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:03 pm Just watched their game against Glasgow, some nice tries!
Glasgow capitalising on a penalty try and resulting sin bin period for Exeter, 21 points during that spell, but the Chiefs were robbed by some dodgy refereeing in the final five minutes, a turnover for Glasgow with hands clearly all over the floor but in particular Simmons (who was superb) broke away on 77 minutes then slipped and whilst on the floor a Glasgow player grabbed his ankle and lifted his leg whilst he was on the floor to stop him getting up and going again.
Also don’t forget the multiple side entries that stopped a maul try
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

JP14 wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:16 pm
BFG wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:03 pm Just watched their game against Glasgow, some nice tries!
Also don’t forget the multiple side entries that stopped a maul try
That was a stonewall penalty try. Half the Glasgow pack came in at the side a cup le of metres from the line. Some very dodgy reffing.
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

Yep Chiefs were inaccurate by their standards in the red zone but my word did Glasgow get the rub of the green!

Some cracking trys though!!!
Soggypitch