Shazam

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Shazam

Post by ABClub »

JP14 wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:48 pm All very well, you have to remember that MOc is notorious for not rotating his squad or using developmental players
Yes, a shortcoming of his previous position that the board had supposedly addressed with him. In particular many believed when he returned that the board had told him he had to develop academy talent better.

Having ignored the advice of the recruitment company used to 'scour the globe for the best candidate' it is very telling that there is silence coming from the top of the club.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Tiglon wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:41 pm Harrison is a decent backup 9, who probably works quite well for the salary cap since he's not really good enough for any other club to push the boat out to sign him and therefore up his wages. One argument is that he's been loyal despite limited game time, the other argument is that he stays because no one else is that interested in him. Probably only he will know the answer to that.
Recent weeks have shown that I probably underestimated Sam Harrison. He's been a big part in our revival and well done to him :smt038
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

Tiglon wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:32 pm
Tiglon wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:41 pm Harrison is a decent backup 9, who probably works quite well for the salary cap since he's not really good enough for any other club to push the boat out to sign him and therefore up his wages. One argument is that he's been loyal despite limited game time, the other argument is that he stays because no one else is that interested in him. Probably only he will know the answer to that.
Recent weeks have shown that I probably underestimated Sam Harrison. He's been a big part in our revival and well done to him :smt038
Fair play Tiglon. I've always been a Shazam fan and felt that a lot of the recent criticism came about because he was trying too hard to do too much when the team was struggling which was what led some to think he wasn't at his best. I know he's at Tigers because that is where he wants to be and I'm sure many can make a good guess at where he is going to go, when, why and who with when the time comes.
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

Tiglon wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:41 pmOne argument is that he's been loyal despite limited game time, the other argument is that he stays because no one else is that interested in him. Probably only he will know the answer to that.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-union ... ants-keep/

Article on Sam in the Telegraph from last Friday. He basically says he's a one club man - no reason to doubt that - and f he's happy, why not?

Harrison said. “I often get asked why haven’t you gone somewhere else and get a first choice slot?” I have always had that as an option but I am fully committed to here. I might get more game time elsewhere but I have always been happy here. I’m born and bred here. I grew up watching them and came through the academy. I have never wanted to play for another team.”

some may say he lacks ambition, but maybe he's realised his ambition and doesn't think anything else could top it.

Always thought he's a great club man, with great Tiger values and spirit. I have also been a bit critical of him during the recent bad spell (slow to breakdown, faffing around etc) but, after h's Dad's comment am happy to re-assess and accept it probably was over compensation rather than lack of ability. He's looked better as the forwards have looked better. 20/20 hindsight and cold light of day of course :smt002
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

I've always liked him. Hasn't got BY boxkicking,game management or sniping but if your forwards are carrying hard offering options or coming around the corner he's the much better option than BY. He doesn't dilly dally at the breakdown giving the opposition defence chance to set,he gives us great tempo.
Tomvarndell
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Tomvarndell »

For me both Sam and Matt Smith offer us massive value for money. I'm led to believe neither are on the type of wage a similar quality of player brought into replace them would cost us. Both showed their value to the club last week and Harrison in particular has really been brilliant for us in recent weeks.
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

+1 Clubmen both. A commitment to the cause that their heritage affords and which many call for along with no little skill. Our club is the better for them.
I'm not cynical just experienced
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

chewbacca wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:59 pm +1 Clubmen both. A commitment to the cause that their heritage affords and which many call for along with no little skill. Our club is the better for them.
:smt023 :smt023
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Knightonian

Post by Knightonian »

These stars are the heart of our club spirit
WirralExile
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by WirralExile »

Like others, I've always thought Sam was a great 9 and when he's come off the bench, the different game he brought often wrong-footed the opposition. He's quick to get to the breakdown and the quick ball away adds a dimension that YBY balances with the box-kicking and the sniping runs. They complement each other and when both are fit, the 3rd choice scrum-half is lucky to get a game.

He's a loyal servant to the club and I still remember that time he finished the game, towards the end of a season, with a badly smashed nose after a collision; having gone off for treatment, he still returned to the field after the final whistle to thank the fans. Lots of claret around but clearly hard as nails.
Wirral Exile
Same birthplace as Oz, but not quite as lippy!
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

I often wondered if Sam would get better with more game time and think recent weeks have shown that is possible and the more he plays the less predictable he becomes, signs of an extremely good player in my opinion.
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

Sam is a solid Premiership player that will never be international class and is exactly what you want as a number 2 player in a position like SH.

Out of interest why is his nickname longer than his actual name?
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

BFG wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:27 pm I often wondered if Sam would get better with more game time and think recent weeks have shown that is possible and the more he plays the less predictable he becomes, signs of an extremely good player in my opinion.
My eldest, who was a very good player himself, has come to Wuss and Bath games.....he has commended Shazam as an excellent player, good control and proper AP quality. My view is that his perennial role as 'finisher' required simple upping of tempo; when he has had to take on #1 duties, initially he didn't shine as a 9 as he was spending a lot of time clearing out for the forwards who hadn't got there and making cover tackles, but is now making breaks and varying his game, which proves the skill was there. His one slight deficit is that he lacks the pace, though not the tempo, of someone like De Klerk.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

jgriffin wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:41 pm
BFG wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:27 pm I often wondered if Sam would get better with more game time and think recent weeks have shown that is possible and the more he plays the less predictable he becomes, signs of an extremely good player in my opinion.
My eldest, who was a very good player himself, has come to Wuss and Bath games.....he has commended Shazam as an excellent player, good control and proper AP quality. My view is that his perennial role as 'finisher' required simple upping of tempo; when he has had to take on #1 duties, initially he didn't shine as a 9 as he was spending a lot of time clearing out for the forwards who hadn't got there and making cover tackles, but is now making breaks and varying his game, which proves the skill was there. His one slight deficit is that he lacks the pace, though not the tempo, of someone like De Klerk.
Yes agree with you both.
De Klerk is quick, Sam could potentially add an extra yard of pace if he keeps going and with the belief of being #1.
I certainly would not want someone like Gloucester getting their hands in Sam!
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:30 pm Sam is a solid Premiership player that will never be international class and is exactly what you want as a number 2 player in a position like SH.

Out of interest why is his nickname longer than his actual name?
In the absence of anything more definitive, Shazam is shorter than Sam Harrison and was probably originally Shazza. I know his twitter handle, or whatever it's called, is something like ShazamHarrison but I would assume that SamHarrison and Shazam had already gone. Hope this helps.
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game