jgriffin wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:46 am Betts held his own
I thought the Irishman showed great promise during the preseason
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Re: Will Evans

Post by johnthegriff »

I agree with JP14 at the very least I would have Betts as our third choice 3 getting the bench time he needs to develop his talent.
Will Evans has been unfortunate with injury and illness but he is ready now to fight for his place at 7 and when he gets it he will take some shifting, a potential international player in my opinion.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

johnthegriff wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:14 pm , a potential international player in my opinion.
Yes, EJ things to so, I’m sure he was named in an Extended EPS a year ago
Spicer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Spicer »

I think we should play with both Evans and BoC, as our back row is not physical enough to run through tackles, we should focus our play on mobility instead of power. Plus it would help the breakdown drastically.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

JP14 wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:19 pm
johnthegriff wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:14 pm , a potential international player in my opinion.
Yes, EJ things to so, I’m sure he was named in an Extended EPS a year ago
Yes he was in at some point, but Jones has admitted a few bad decisions, unfortunately no clue about which decisions, other than they are no longer in anyway!
http://www.punditarena.com/rugby/englis ... s-england/
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Dropping T Youngs, I know his current form and personal position couldn’t mean he could play for England but when EJ 1st dropped him he was in excellent form
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

johnthegriff wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:14 pm I agree with JP14 at the very least I would have Betts as our third choice 3 getting the bench time he needs to develop his talent.
Will Evans has been unfortunate with injury and illness but he is ready now to fight for his place at 7 and when he gets it he will take some shifting, a potential international player in my opinion.
Agree wholeheartedly about Betts. Tightheads who hold up in the scrum and loose at his age are rare. He's the sort of player I'd happily see given a senior contract early on as a gamble from the club in trying to tie down a young talent.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

ABClub wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:10 pm
johnthegriff wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:14 pm I agree with JP14 at the very least I would have Betts as our third choice 3 getting the bench time he needs to develop his talent.
Agree wholeheartedly about Betts. Tightheads who hold up in the scrum and loose at his age are rare. He's the sort of player I'd happily see given a senior contract early on as a gamble from the club in trying to tie down a young talent.
And on that note, Ben Betts is leaving the club at the end of the season:

http://sportinglimerick.com/exclusive-b ... ar-future/
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

From when he signed I knew he wasn’t going to stay long. Almost no point in signing Irish players anymore, they come over, get game time for a season or two and make a name for themselves then get snapped back up by a province.
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

"Betts who joined the Tigers in 2016, has not yet confirmed which club he will be joining but has stated that the side do ply their trade in England"

"I thought about it for a while but I think I’ve made the right decision to move somewhere where the expectations aren’t as high"

Only NotNots come to mind in the Prem.
Last edited by loretta on Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:17 pm From when he signed I knew he wasn’t going to stay long. Almost no point in signing Irish players anymore, they come over, get game time for a season or two and make a name for themselves then get snapped back up by a province.
Except on this occasion he's going to another English club, after having no game time at Tigers.
Super User
Super User

Post by 4071 »

loretta wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:25 pm "Betts who joined the Tigers in 2016, has not yet confirmed which club he will be joining but has stated that the side do ply their trade in England"

"I thought about it for a while but I think I’ve made the right decision to move somewhere where the expectations aren’t as high"

Only NotNots come to mind in the Prem.
Not necessarily - there could be clubs that are doing better than Tigers but who have different expectation on their props.

We have overloaded our front row compared to other clubs - it's feasible that Betts would be sixth in the tighthead pecking order at Tigers (Cole, Bateman, Mulipola, Cilliers, Baumann) whereas he could move to Wasps (for example) whose fourth choice tighthead is a young academy kid. And they are already losing Moore.

There are a few clubs who have less depth in the front row positions and are more likely to give game time to a young prop rather than recruit experienced guys all the way down in the pecking order. At Tigers there are certain expectations on our props which might not exist at other clubs. Same probably goes for Saracens and Sale, who seem to have half the number of props that we do.
ghdav27

Post by ghdav27 »

Really disappointing news about Betts. Why Baumann has been benching so much this season is beyond me. Betts looks much better when be does get an opportunity, if we had been giving him those opportunities and actually brought him on, we may be able to hold onto a player with potential!