Will Evans

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Will Evans

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

People rave about the Curry twins and Underhill, but for me Evans smashed it yesterday. Everyone knows he can be a nuisance at the breakdown but he was flying in with some massive hits too. No way did he look too small to compete like some people have been alluding to on this forum.

Don’t get why he doesn’t get more game time with him and BOC rotating the no.7 shirt.

Also thought Worth looked very composed a bit like Alex Goode, never going to set the world alight but looks like he cut could it in the premiership.
DeadlyDunc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Will Evans

Post by DeadlyDunc »

I agree, I think BOC and Evans would be a really strong Premiership open side double act and as good as most in the League.

Whether MOC agrees is debateable.
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

No ... apparently you just have to be big, useless and ineffectual to get the nod in the moden way of playing at Tigers . But most of all big. After all its working well ... isn't it? We are apparently "learning" every week.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Evans needs to do more, start offering the kind of impact on the game of the likes of Ewers or Armand, or Shalk Burger, Michael Rhodes or Jackson Wray.
He is a smaller player there is no question about it and that is fine as long as they can do the business and have a positive impact.
Teimana Harrison is not massive but has a major impact for his side.
If Leicester aspire to be more then Evans needs to do more in my opinion!
I would add though before someone goes off it with entirely the wrong idea, Evans is a keeper, there are many others having a negative impact on proceedings!
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

He is certainly a real talent but I don't think we will see the best from him until he plays alongside a big ball carrying No8 and under the tutelage of a first class forwards coach.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Evans, Worth, Bateman, Wells shone in a dire performance. Shazam ended up having to do too much. Simmons looked sharp, Betts held his own. We do have the younger players, and in BOC and Evans a superb rotation 7. The commentators remarked on how the use of a good 7 was a feature of everywhere except the AP.
BTW Evans was pinged twice having poached the ball while on his feet, then pushed down as he smuggled it. Dayglo was at a loss on one replay, he just stuttered as it was clearly a legal steal, and later on Eykyn remarked on the ref's idiosyncratic breakdown interpretation. We wouldn't have won, but it might have mitigated a bit.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
MikeR
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by MikeR »

Your choice of players who did well is much the same as mine , but I really don't think Harrison is anywhere near good enough at 9. Ford and Brady were utterly useless yesterday and for the rest of the Season I would use Simmons and Hardwick as understudies for Youngs/George Ford - they will get better for the experience . I would also play Worth at 15 for similar reasons .
MOC ( if he is still here by the end of the week) needs to have a major rethink on the composition of the team to play in the 6 Nations period and use the AW games to bed them in . I would not pick Joe Ford again - waste of time .
kornboy130
Super User
Super User

Post by kornboy130 »

BFG wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:15 am Evans needs to do more, start offering the kind of impact on the game of the likes of Ewers or Armand, or Shalk Burger, Michael Rhodes or Jackson Wray.
He is a smaller player there is no question about it and that is fine as long as they can do the business and have a positive impact.
I would add though before someone goes off it with entirely the wrong idea, Evans is a keeper, there are many others having a negative impact on proceedings!
I think it's telling quite how little he's playing and how noticeably bigger he looks every time he plays - I would not be surprised at all if we are giving him some time with the S and C guys to ensure he carries the requisite size and power going forward in his career.
Jon
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Jon »

He was one of the shining lights yesterday, along with Bateman, Wells and Worth. Would love to see him in the 7 shirt more often this reason (rotating with BOC). Whether we will...
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Compare Evans with Dominic Ryan who is supposed to be have one cap with Ireland, Ryan was awful in comparison. No wonder that Leinster released him. Have to wonder why we brought him in at all.

Most of MOC signings look far from being any good. Ryan hasn’t done anything, haven’t been ever entirely convinced by Malouf. Mapapalangi looks promising and has shown glimpses but hasn’t done so with any consistency. So he was brought in early to be able to get some players in that he wanted yet hasn’t brought anyone in who is any good bar maybe May.
DeadlyDunc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DeadlyDunc »

Jonny May and George Ford have been good for the majority to be fair to MOC.

I accept they were known quantities and other recruitment was affected by both players coming in (Joe Ford in the case of GF and Ed Slater going in the case of JM) but despite other opinions on GF I think they are both demonstrably upgrades on what we had last season.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Agreed but Ford wasn’t one of MOC signings, the deal had been done I think before MOC had come in.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

kornboy130 wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:00 am
BFG wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:15 am Evans needs to do more, start offering the kind of impact on the game of the likes of Ewers or Armand, or Shalk Burger, Michael Rhodes or Jackson Wray.
I think it's telling quite how little he's playing and how noticeably bigger he looks every time he plays - I would not be surprised at all if we are giving him some time with the S and C guys to ensure he carries the requisite size and power going forward in his career.
Yes agree kornboy, he has the potential to grow his game all round and hopefully in time we will see a player of the Thomas Young ilk!
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I think MOC thought Ryan was the Irish Chris Robshaw or something
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

jgriffin wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:46 am Betts held his own.
So, how much time would you give him against Racing? I'd like to see him given a fair bit; after all, we're only an injury or two from him playing the Premiership on a regular basis.