Tigers vs Racing

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers vs Racing

Post by strawclearer »

Irrespective of who selected it and whether pressure re. 'bums on seats' was brought to bear - nobody can accuse us of fielding a weaker side!
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Latecomer wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:06 pm This team selection is lunacy. Europe is gone. This team won't be playing next week in the Anglo Welsh, so why risk the first team?
So MOC does't get the sack
Because many players will have the next two weeks to rest
Because we are at home
Because we don't want 15,000 booing Tigers fans
Because Racing can still qualify so will be putting out a strong team
Because we need a confidence boost
Pride
And so on...
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Got to go for the win to try and build some confidence for the AWC and then the premiership. A win would be massive at home against Racing and can’t blame MOC for going for the win. If he picked a weakened team he would be moaned at.
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

ourla wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:12 pm
Latecomer wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:06 pm This team selection is lunacy. Europe is gone. This team won't be playing next week in the Anglo Welsh, so why risk the first team?
So MOC does't get the sack
Because many players will have the next two weeks to rest
Because we are at home
Because we don't want 15,000 booing Tigers fans
Because Racing can still qualify so will be putting out a strong team
Pride
And so on...
He could have fielded this side last week and still been in with a mathematical chance of qualification on Sunday. As it is, he chose to take the :censored: I can well understand why some people are so despondent.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Racing 92: 15 Brice Dulin, 14 Teddy Thomas, 13 Virimi Vakatawa, 12 Henry Chavancy, 11 Joe Rokocoko, 10 Rémi Tales, 9 Maxime Machenaud (c); 1 Eddy Ben Arous, 2 Camille Chat, 3 Ben Tameifuna, 4 Donnacha Ryan, 5 Manuel Carizza, 6 Wenceslas Lauret, 7 Yannick Nyanga, 8 Leone Nakarawa

Replacements: 16 Dimitri Szarzewski, 17 Vasil Kakovin, 18 Cedate Gomes Sa, 19 Baptiste Chouzenoux, 20 Boris Palu, 21 Teddy Iribaren, 22 Dan Carter, 23 Louis Dupichot
Spicer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Spicer »

Leicester Tigers (v Racing 92, Welford Road, Sunday 1.00pm)

15 Mathew Tait

14 Nick Malouf

13 Manu Tuilagi

12 Matt Toomua

11 Jonny May

10 George Ford (c)

9 Ben Youngs

1 Greg Bateman

2 Tatafu Polota-Nau

3 Dan Cole

4 Harry Wells

5 Graham Kitchener

6 Mike Williams

7 Brendon O’Connor

8 Sione Kalamafoni

Replacements

16 Tom Youngs

17 Michele Rizzo

18 Logovi’i Mulipola

19 Mike Fitzgerald

20 Valentino Mapapalangi

21 Sam Harrison

22 Joe Ford

23 Adam Thompstone
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Roly wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:20 pm He could have fielded this side last week and still been in with a mathematical chance of qualification on Sunday. As it is, he chose to take the :censored: I can well understand why some people are so despondent.
As I understand the England foursome had to miss one of the games. He could have rested half last week and half this week I suppose. Outside of those four, yes I don't disagree he could have gone stronger last week but I was giving reasons for this weeks selection.

I think there would be a lot more despondency if we played a weak team and lost by 50 on Sunday.
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

ourla wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:20 pm Racing 92: 15 Brice Dulin, 14 Teddy Thomas, 13 Virimi Vakatawa, 12 Henry Chavancy, 11 Joe Rokocoko, 10 Rémi Tales, 9 Maxime Machenaud (c); 1 Eddy Ben Arous, 2 Camille Chat, 3 Ben Tameifuna, 4 Donnacha Ryan, 5 Manuel Carizza, 6 Wenceslas Lauret, 7 Yannick Nyanga, 8 Leone Nakarawa

Replacements: 16 Dimitri Szarzewski, 17 Vasil Kakovin, 18 Cedate Gomes Sa, 19 Baptiste Chouzenoux, 20 Boris Palu, 21 Teddy Iribaren, 22 Dan Carter, 23 Louis Dupichot
Looking at that team, it hardly matters what team Tigers are putting out. But I get your previous post.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
MrPartridge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MrPartridge »

Pride
Where was the pride last week? Why not put a full strength side out in Castres when they played their B team and we could still have qualified (albeit unlikely?). Momentum wasn't important last week but it seemingly is now ahead of the Mickey Mouse trophy.

MOC is an absolute joke. Evans had a decent game last week and misses out on the 23. Not going this week. I'll glance at the TV from time to time.

Forget the result on Sunday... MOC better pray there are no serious injuries.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

I think all the comments about it being MOCs creation, his dilemma, are spot on. but then I have always whinged about his appointment based on his one-dimensional coaching here last time and apparently at Leinster.
If we continue to stand off rucks and kick away ball, I can only see the game going one way - with collateral injuries.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

Just what the doctor ordered, a strong side to prove themselves against a good french side. Get some momentum, confidence and if nothing else 80 mins of ball-handling skills under pressure.
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

MrPartridge wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:32 pmWhere was the pride last week?
There isn't a big loss of pride losing in France against a team 4th in the Top 14.
MrPartridge wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:32 pmWhy not put a full strength side out in Castres when they played their B team and we could still have qualified (albeit unlikely?).
In the case of the England players they had to be rested for one of them. And some of the other players needed a rest.
MrPartridge wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:32 pmMomentum wasn't important last week but it seemingly is now ahead of the Mickey Mouse trophy.
It's not so much momentum. We clearly have none and clearly with the AWC and 6N coming up regardless this week will not give us momentum.
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

I can't quite believe the point of view that says we should chuck a load of 2nd stringers under the Racing bus!

We're playing a quality side, at Welford road, and we should be happy to chuck the towel in? What earthly good could come from guaranteeing a total pasting, in front of a home crowd, to the same guys who got mullered last week? Last week was an embarrassment, but how would we feel on Monday if we let the 2nd side take 60 points against this lot?

We have one chance (and only a chance) to come out of this game looking good and finally building some confidence. We have to give it our best. Time to grow a a pair!
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

The coach is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't.
No way could he pick a similar team to last week, after that performance against Castres I think Racing would run riot, and I'm talking maybe 60+ points!
It was disappointing against Castres, there have been calls for several of those younger players to get a chance in recent weeks and they had more than enough experience around them to do well if they wanted it enough in my opinion!
I think it'll prove correct in the end that Leicester never realistically stood a chance of qualification after the home loss to Munster.
Last week was an opportunity for players to put their hands up, few did, Wells is rewarded for a decent performance with a start this week, could be a case for Evans who worked hard but I think he was outclassed last week and BOC is a step up from him currently.
Maybe if a few more had put their hands up last week then this weeks side might be a little different!
MrPartridge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MrPartridge »

I can't quite believe the point of view that says we should chuck a load of 2nd stringers under the Racing bus!
We chucked them under the Castres bus last week and I went a long way to see it. The Castres 2nd stringers were pretty impressive at home... why not give ours a chance?

Can't let the home fans down but away fans don't matter. Good luck MOC... if he'd kept faith in his side from last week and they lost against Racing he'd have a little wriggle room. If our strongest team lose on Sunday its P45 time.