Tigers vs Racing

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Roly
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers vs Racing

Post by Roly »

Robespierre wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:56 pm Never mind, Roly. You must be used to disappointment!
Following Tigers since Pat Howard left has pretty much ensured it, yes.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Roly wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:06 pm
Robespierre wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:56 pm Never mind, Roly. You must be used to disappointment!
Yes, it must have been so disappointing at the end of the 2008/09, 2009/10 and 2012/13 seasons seeing the team lift the Premiership trophy and seeing them reach finals in most of the other years and semi finals in all of the other years!
NONAME
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by NONAME »

I remember watching Chris White at the Tigers , he was awful got loads of things wrong. We won but only just. I went home and sat down to watch the game again (as always) and I was amazed to find that he had been right in every instance.

Similarly, after the Racing game I watched the video, afraid Nigel got quite a few things wrong. Unfortunately they actually cost us points. I agree everyone in human and mistakes can be made but thats why we have a TMO. I am sure Nigel is a very good ref and is not biased (tongue in cheek anti Tigers) but if each ref applies the laws differently, why do we have laws?
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

ellis9 wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:58 pm
Yes, it must have been so disappointing at the end of the 2008/09, 2009/10 and 2012/13 seasons seeing the team lift the Premiership trophy and seeing them reach finals in most of the other years and semi finals in all of the other years!
Oh Roly that's just bordering on ungratefulness, Pat Howard left in 2007 and by-god I know how brilliant we were then but I'd say we were pretty decent up until 2013, Premiership champions 3 times and finalists in 2011 and 2012, AWC winners in 2012, and a European Cup Final in 2009 and
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

JP14 wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:07 pm
ellis9 wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:58 pm
Oh Roly that's just bordering on ungratefulness, Pat Howard left in 2007 and by-god I know how brilliant we were then but I'd say we were pretty decent up until 2013, Premiership champions 3 times and finalists in 2011 and 2012, AWC winners in 2012, and a European Cup Final in 2009 and
I would agree that it is overly critical - but, trophies papered over the cracks that some of us saw forming. And never has that been more evident than now.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

NONAME wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:45 pm I remember watching Chris White at the Tigers , he was awful got loads of things wrong. We won but only just. I went home and sat down to watch the game again (as always) and I was amazed to find that he had been right in every instance.

Similarly, after the Racing game I watched the video, afraid Nigel got quite a few things wrong. Unfortunately they actually cost us points. I agree everyone in human and mistakes can be made but thats why we have a TMO. I am sure Nigel is a very good ref and is not biased (tongue in cheek anti Tigers) but if each ref applies the laws differently, why do we have laws?
Some wise man, pundit, said "We call them laws not rules because they are open to interpretation. I struggle with that. I'm afraid every time I watch Nigel I get the impression he's making it up as he goes along. (May tackled in the air v North tackled on the same manner.) If you deem yourself to be super human and apply common sense. Above the law if you like. Why have these guidelines and sanctions for the rest. All I want is a level playing field!
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

Big Dai wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:46 am
NONAME wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:45 pm I remember watching Chris White at the Tigers , he was awful got loads of things wrong. We won but only just. I went home and sat down to watch the game again (as always) and I was amazed to find that he had been right in every instance.

I struggle with that. I'm afraid every time I watch Nigel I get the impression he's making it up as he goes along.
How can he be if the law is open to interpretation?
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Roly wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:27 am
Big Dai wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:46 am

I struggle with that. I'm afraid every time I watch Nigel I get the impression he's making it up as he goes along.
How can he be if the law is open to interpretation?
precisely! That's my problem. Either do away with the edicts and guidance and let the refs ref or cast it in concrete. One way or the other. One can't have both.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

Think the IRB or whatever they are called now have given up with the laws. I remember they said they would police the put in at the scrum such that it returned to being straight, rather than crooked, which I think is the root cause of the diving, boring in and wheeling practice we now have in attempt to con a penalty. I think that lasted a few weeks and it's back to normal. :smt102

It's fairly simple - if the laws stipulate don't do something then any player that does should be penalised and they will either stop or leave the field. Eventually we'll get a proper game of Rugby, rather than the referee interpreted variable laws nonsense we have today, which IMO, is ruining the game. :smt013
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

G.K wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:06 pm Think the IRB or whatever they are called now have given up with the laws. I remember they said they would police the put in at the scrum such that it returned to being straight, rather than crooked, which I think is the root cause of the diving, boring in and wheeling practice we now have in attempt to con a penalty. I think that lasted a few weeks and it's back to normal. :smt102

It's fairly simple - if the laws stipulate don't do something then any player that does should be penalised and they will either stop or leave the field. Eventually we'll get a proper game of Rugby, rather than the referee interpreted variable laws nonsense we have today, which IMO, is ruining the game. :smt013
What he says :smt023
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives